Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

please help me with my car it has everybody baffled

Options
  • 16-03-2008 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

my cars engine light comes on when I'm driving. if i take my foot off the pedal and put it back on the light goes off after 3 seconds but this will happen until i stop the car. also when i start the car it will chug and not go until i restart and then it will take off. please help:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

If it has a problem that has a load of garages stumped then it is unlikely you will get it sorted here but you may get a few helpful suggestions.

First you will need to post make, model, year and engine size/type. Then if you can, post the symptoms in as much detail as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lollipopslauls

99 opel corsa 1.2 1200cc i think. thanks for the advice

thats more or less what is happening it does seem to be over heating when you turn on the ac there is a lot of heat coming from engine. Oil is fine no gunk under cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

when was it last serviced?

have you had the spark plugs and leads changed? what about oil and fuel filters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

It's 95% chance of being your air-mass meter, does it lose power when you give it full throttle and the engine light comes on? Is it inefficent on fuel? Rough idle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

agree with the freakey guy, did they not put it on de computer, come on son,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Yeah 99% of the time when you see a sick corsa B its an EGR valve, air mass meter or exhaust. I've had all three with my corsa :-)

vibe666 wrote: »
    when was it last serviced?

have you had the spark plugs and leads changed? what about oil and fuel filters?

i got it serviced but when i got it back it wasnt any better . doesnt look like he did anything with it

It's 95% chance of being your air-mass meter, does it lose power when you give it full throttle and the engine light comes on? Is it inefficent on fuel? Rough idle?

yep the needle will go down even i though i have pedal right down loads of feul in her loads of oil and water although she is burning that off quickly as of late

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ev612337

Hi,
    Had this symptom with my Saab which has a 2.2l Opel turbo diesel engine.
    Nobody could make sense of it. EGR valve was suggested, Air Mass Meter (sensor) was also suggested. Both were cleaned and problem went away fro a few weeks. Then it all started again, same symptoms as you suggest in first post. The EGR valve is 400 + VAT from Saab and almost this mush from Opel too! I took a chance on an EGR valve listed on eBay in France from a car with just 40k miles. It only cost me 120 Euro, I fitted it myself and the car's run like a dream ever since!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

yeah that happenedto my banger of a saab too ( though it was haved issues with the strater motor ) i just got a air mass meter out of a a alfa 176 and the issue was sorted , cost me 18 quid...

how i wish saab made there own engines back in the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

my cars engine light comes on when I'm driving. if i take my foot off the pedal and put it back on the light goes off after 3 seconds but this will happen until i stop the car. also when i start the car it will chug and not go until i restart and then it will take off. please help:confused:
    Those flaky electrical problems are often due to poor ground connections, just in case the EGR doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

thats more or less what is happening it does seem to be over heating when you turn on the ac there is a lot of heat coming from engine. Oil is fine no gunk under cap.

That will definitely be your EGR valve. You don't necessarily need to get it replaced, if you know anybody handy with cars they can take it off and clean it out for you which should solve the problem.

While they are at it get them to clean out your throttle body also, that should help it run better.

Advertisement