Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobe stretching tips

Options

Comments

hi,

I'm quite interested in getting this done, however, I am very very unsure about how it will look on my ears.

I have looked at cheater plugs as a stop gap.

I was planning on wearing these for a month or two to see if I like them, and then begin stretching if I do.

Has anyone any reasons why not to go for this?

Also, this would be a fresh piercing, how long after getting pierced would I be able to wear the cheater plugs?

All help appreciated,

Emmet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Sounds like a good plan to me dude. Ask your piercer how long you should wait but I'd say a month should be plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Hey just started stretching yesterday. I bought a 1.2mm ring as the woman in Kembali advised me to. I read somewhere that the average ear piercing is 1.6mm. Thought she would know best though so went with it. Thing is although there was some minor resistance when I put it in first when I tried to move it there's none now and was none when I cleaned it earlier. I'm not really sure if it's smaller than my average earring but even if it isn't I'm wondering since I have no irritation or problems and t fits like any other earring would I be safe to move to 1.6mm next week? I know the wait is usually longer but since it's 0.4mm does it matter much?

Sorry if I'm talking crap, I'm new to all this. :P

Take your time and don't rush. 1.2 seems very small but better safe than sorry. go to a 1.6 maybe or a 2. but wait until its nice and loose before ya go bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Will wrote: »
    Take your time and don't rush. 1.2 seems very small but better safe than sorry. go to a 1.6 maybe or a 2. but wait until its nice and loose before ya go bigger

Thanks. Yeah I'm gonna wait longer with all the other sizes, I just don't waste time with a size that's not doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

found out last night my lobes hate acrylic! :(

I got these aaaages ago at my goal size of 00g. my other 00g plugs have fit for the past month or so but these wouldn't budge.

http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?jewelry=plugs&gauge=00g&length=&brand=&price=&material=&preorders=&internal=&flare_type=&date=&showall=yes&varrows=615&ProductID=5252&index=124

Even when my massive 10mm gorilla class claws fit these (smaller) plugs would get a little bit in then the huge o-ring groove would suction my lobes onto the groove and not let go :eek: Anyway, they finally fit last night. Was happy but they felt a little tight so I left them in over night. Woke up and my lobes were swollen and tender and the actual holes red and sad looking. :(

No more acrylic for me! I actually got these for a friend as well and one of her lobes freaked and she had to downsize.

Any one else have issues with acrylic plugs?

Have some nice comfy glass in now so they seem to be calming down.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm lucky enough in that my lobes seem to be fairly tolerant of anything I've put into them so far. My sis in law however had a rather unpleasant experience with acrylic where her ears basically fused onto the plug. It was pretty messy. She can only wear glass or steel/titanium now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

eep. will be steering clear of it in future for shizzl :)

I have titanium, steel, glass, silicone, steel and coral with no issues so I'm spoilt for choice :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Toots* wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough in that my lobes seem to be fairly tolerant of anything I've put into them so far. My sis in law however had a rather unpleasant experience with acrylic where her ears basically fused onto the plug. It was pretty messy. She can only wear glass or steel/titanium now.

This happened to meeee! :( It's an experience I NEVER want to repeat, and I blame it for my right lobe being so crappy, it got ripped to shreds that day.

However there are different grades of acrylic. I decided to try some by Industrial Strength and it was fine- it's smooth as glass and feels lovely.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I must recommend IS to her, it might be worth a try. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 BeachBum25

I'm not at all interested in this stuff for myself, but find it fascinating. A guy I buy my sandwich sub from every Wednesday appears to be stretching. Now I'll have some small talk conversation starters. Sorry to intrude in your genuine discussion. Just visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Woke up fantastically early this morning only to notice my lovely tapers from BAF arrived! woot! :) Im horribly surprised by how small my ear holes are :( and im glad I ordered a 14g, no idea why but i thought I had bigger ear holes :rolleyes:

Anyway quick question though, Ive stuck them in a little bit with a bit of hassle although I stopped when my ear started getting that hot feeling. :(
    what should I do? push'er on through and use vaselene (just waiting on raze to comment on that! :) ) or what?

thanks guy! :D

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

I really don't find vaseline is a good lube for stretching. Good old fashioned sex lube has always worked out the best for me, or jojoba oil in a pinch.

I haven't actually used tapers in my lobe but from what I've read a burning/hot sensation is normal (I know I've felt it in my septum). Pain and anything that feels like ripping/something about to rip is not so good.

So i should jst push'er on through?

You can if all you're feeling is a burn, but if you're in a position to head to Boots or somewhere and pick up some lube I'd do that first just to be safe!

I managed a bit of vaselene and got them through with no bother! :D that makes me happy! Thanks Gauge for your help! any ideas on how long i should leave this tiny yoke (aka 14g) in?

As long as possible, you don't wanna rush it. Ideally 3 months, should be time enough to slot in the bigger size without the use of tapers

woot! next one up from the 14g i got is 12g taper so ill wait couple months before i do that.

Presume you got the tapers free from BAF yeah?
    Ideally tapers should be way longer, less of an increment, longer the better :)

But yeah just take your time with it, you and your ears will be mucho happy as a result :D

Got a couple pairs of these hoooers
    TornadoTaper.jpg

• Advertisement

These are more what ya need, safer too and better qulity. Imagine if they snapped in your ear? :(

http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?jewelry=tapers&ProductID=4327&index=11

Anywho just take it slow and do your best to avoid tapers, only use em when you need a tiny bit of extra stretch but even then i wouldn't advise their use

what would you suggest using instead of tapers?

I don't know >.<
    just wary of them, if you just taper straight up it can damage your lobe and tear it. you probably have no other choice tbh so just taper carefully and follow gauge's advice earlier.

yeah i will, ill take my time anyway and wait it out. then use lube of some sort when i am moving up. thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Not sure if this has been asked before but I didn't have the time to trawl through 22 pages of posts. :). I've been stretching my lobes for a fair few months now. 1mm increments every few months. My right lobe has never given me any trouble and is at 5mm now and my left lobe is at 5mm too. Only problem is my left lobe feels a bit tighter with plugs and for awhile I couldn't get in a tunnel that fitted easily into the other lobe. Now I've got a lump in my lobe beside the hole. It's not painful or anything, but it feels quite solid. Not sure what it is but I'm guessing it has to do with my piercing. Anyone know what it is or how to get rid of it? Had one a few weeks ago and it went but now I've got another one. Not nice.:(

did your lobes flare up at all? or get red and quite sore?

Sounds like a lil ball of scar tissue, but tbh it's impossible to tell without seeing it in person. Do you sleep with your plugs in? If ya do it may be an idea to sleep with them out to give your lobes a rest and a chance to relax. Will improve circulation and make em healthier.

Head to your piercer today or monday if ya can and get em to take a look :) They will advise ya

I can't get to my piercer anytime soon unfortunately. It probably is a little ball of scar tissue. My left lobe has always been a bit irritable and gets red and hot when stretching. I was advised to leave it longer than usual to get it stretched again. Hopefully this will help.

Maybe leave your lobes naked for a few days, will give your ears a chance to get back on track. You don't wanna be irritating them, go back to your piercer as soon as possible :)

If I leave them naked for a few days would they not begin to close to the point of having to downsize?

• Advertisement

Yeah but you can stretch them back up again, it is probably best for your ears tbh. Even when you go to bed leave em out. Then just massage em with some oil in the morning pop in a smaller plug then once it's used to it put back in your current one :) I usually do it and i know a few others on the forum do too

Advertisement