Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobe stretching tips

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Gauge wrote: »
    It doesn't seem that off to me. Lots of piercings get done at 3.2mm- I haven't heard of as many people being pierced at 4mm, but still I've heard of it. It gives you a bit of a head start, and being pierced at 1.6mm doesn't really have much benefits over being pierced at 3.2mm (except a marginal difference in pain/healing time). If you're planning on stretching there's no harm in getting pierced at a larger than average starting size provided the studio know what they're doing.

Did the piercer specify that they would be doing it with a needle?
    You are correct madam, My translobes were 4's the day i got them done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

You are correct madam, My translobes were 4's the day i got them done.
    what are translobes when there at home?

seanybiker wrote: »
    what are translobes when there at home?
    92209.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i think it was a joke raze... but ah well :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=92209&d=1254327481
    ha ha thats mental. Must have hurting going up the way as opposed to straight through.

No Will, wasnt joking bud. I heard of em before but never knew what they meant.

• Advertisement

nah not too bad tbh, just had to go through alot of scar tissue from multiple normal lobe piercings

ah i thought you were making a joke about 'trans'ients and home, ah well

Will wrote: »
    ah i thought you were making a joke about 'trans'ients and home, ah well

ah crap. I missed it lol. boo me.

me right ear is catching up and soon enough be a 10mm, I did decide to put the left upto a 12 though. Ha ha. Gonna have to stop now

So how are all me big eared friends keeping, any news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Right have had me ears at 6mm for about 2-3 months now. Went to start using ptfe tonight and me left was ok but me right is acting the bollox. Any ideas on what I could do? Thanks.

hot shower and daily massages with bio oil or equivalent.

I'd stress that using ptfe should only be untertaken if you are very comfortable and know what you are at.

I done it after a shower and massaged them with vitamin e stuff that i have after.

I'm not going to rush them with the tape just thought me ears would be ok for just 1 roll.

At 6mm it's gonna be quite hard to tape em, it's really suited for larger. Hop to a studio and get em to lob in some no flare tunnels. if you've waited 2-3months should slip in no bother

Alri thanks :D

i taped mine from the first size up from normal. Fair enough the 8 looked weird taped to 10 but it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭pe-cze

I really have to stretch mine soon- one is 12 and the other is 8, it just looks wrong!

:) Most people wouldn't notice a 4mm difference, maybe just get a bigger front on the smaller plugs to make em look even if it's bothering you a lot

Its just that i have different plugs in each ear and you can really see the difference;D
    Anyway, i want to have 14mm in both, so i will start working on it soon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Here I'm thinking of getting my lobes pierced normally and then doing a tiny bit of streching but I'm seriously confused about the sizes. Whats the smallest sized plug/tunnel you can get??? I'd have no interest in going any bigger than that I'd say!

• Advertisement

Well, the regular earring is 0.8mm I think and the stretchers go up from there. It also depends where will you get your plugs from- if it's from america the sizing is different, so it's good to have a chart!

gaugechart.jpg

Most lobes are usually pierced at 1.2mm or 1.6mm, americans use the gauge system... trust them to be awkward :)

edit: or what Pierced off said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

A standard ear piercing is 1mm or 18g. It is possible to get tunnels/plugs from 1.6mm or 14g. Probably the smallest tunnel that appears like a tunnel, ie. you can see through it, is about 5mm or 4g. below is a size comparison chart.
    18 Ga : 1.0mm

16 Ga : 1.2mm

14 Ga : 1.6mm

12 Ga : 2.0mm

10 Ga : 2.4mm

8 Ga : 3 mm

6 Ga : 4 mm

4 Ga : 5 mm

2 Ga : 6 mm

0 Ga : 8 mm

00 Ga : 10 mm
    Above this the measurements are usually just done in mm.

Having made tunnels/plugs myself out of wood it is a serious b¡tch to make anything smaller than 6mm in diameter without it disintegrating. Metal is a different ball game though and you can get tunnels out of 3.2mm jewellery, hard to see through though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'd say so, It's hard to find any wooden plugs/tunnels at 6mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

That charts fairly handy actually, trust the Americans to be awkward though :D. Cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I started off at 2.4mm and put in some single flare tunnels (these) and it really doesn't look like it's stretched at all. Go to a small size first and get a feel for stretching and then take it from there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Hi everyone, I have read through most of the posts and this thread and I just have a few questions Ive had my ears pierced for about 10 months and I was speaking to my piercer about strecthing them. and he says he start me off with 4mm and then go up to 6 or 8 in 2 months i think. but its the 4mm straight away that im worried about because reading through the thread that dosent seem right. what do ye think? thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

4mm straight off comes across as too much to soon. I usually start people at 2 or 2.4, depends on the person, then 3.2 THEN 4, 5 etc. Yes its slower but it's successful. I've never had a problem with any stretches I've done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I was also told to start off at 2.4 then 3.2 then 4 and so on and I've never had a problem. Well except when I was stretching to 10mm, but that's a different story. Stretching from a normal 1.2 or 1.6mm hole to 4mm is way too much. There's a big risk of blowouts, tearing and a lot of pain!

Advertisement