Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobe stretching tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Hi everyone, I have read through most of the posts and this thread and I just have a few questions Ive had my ears pierced for about 10 months and I was speaking to my piercer about strecthing them. and he says he start me off with 4mm and then go up to 6 or 8 in 2 months i think. but its the 4mm straight away that im worried about because reading through the thread that dosent seem right. what do ye think? thanks for any help.

perhaps he is suggesting repiercing at 4mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Great thread! I'm just thinking of stretching myself from a normal size piercing, but I was just wondering is it best to stretch with tapers or plugs? Or does it really just depend on the person's preference? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

When starting out I'd probably advise on listening to your piercer and having them do it for you until you get the gist of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Right so I suffered a bad blow out. Was down with the lack last week and the tunnel fell out but I didnt notive it was gone. Copped on when we found the tunnel, I thought it might have only being out for a few minutes but it must have been out a few hours, it was after shrinking back a bit anyways, thinking it was only out for a minute or two I pushed it back in and ended up cutting the bit that I tore months and months ago. So now its after popping out the front of my ear. Was sore as a mutha fooka for a few days but with loads of sea salt washes it seems to be calming down on the pain front but still popping out a bit.
    I read alrigth that you should downsize for a month or two but me not having any smaller ones to put in it I just left it out completely.
    Whats the story, should I get a 10 to put in it and hold the "blowout" back in where it should be or will I just leave it out for another month or two completely until it heals fully. It was at 16 for about 6-7 months and obviously I wont get a 16 in now so thought maybe a 10 or even smaller might be good to get it back top proper shape.
    Any help would be great.
    i wont put a pc up of it cos it looks like a fanny.

Can't edit last post on phone.

Turns out it wasn't a blow out. It just got infected and swelled up like a balloon. Me poor ear is now only at 10mm :( I'm lobsided again haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Better to be lopsided than infected :)

Better to be lopsided than infected :)

Ah yeah that's it. I must say after having the plug out for the last while and all the salt and water washes accompanied by extra virgin olive oil rubbing in. Me lobe is very juicy or whatever you call it. Healthy I suppose sounds better than juicy I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Healthier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lauren7fold

Hey guys, I'm sorry for dragging up this thread, but I've had something on my mind for a while now. Okay so, I stretched my right lobe to 12mm (my left lobe fortunately was a few sizes behind) and it split in like 3 places. So I went to my piercer and he said that when my ears were pierced years ago in Claires they were pierced up too high towards my anti-tragus, and they are really thick below my tunnels. Sadface. So he said I will have to stay at 8mm. Its all healed up a good while now, currently at 8mm in one, 5mm in the other. I was wondering about having them scalpelled so I looked up a video on youtube and saw this piercer hacking away at some poor girls ears, litterally slicing off big chunks, tapering and after he put in the tunnels, cutting off flaps of skin. I always thought scalpelling was just making one slit and putting in the new size plugs. After I watched the video I got a bit nervous. Will the scalpelling really include all this removing skin and tapering? And also does anyone maybe know of an easier, less bloody solution to my problem?

Please & thankyou! x

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

does anyone maybe know of an easier, less bloody solution to my problem?

Please & thankyou! x

Take your jewelery out of your ears,leave your ears naked for 6months plus to let the holes close up and then get your lobes re pierced in a better position?? this is what id do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

CyberJuice wrote: »
    Take your jewelery out of your ears,leave your ears naked for 6months plus to let the holes close up and then get your lobes re pierced in a better position?? this is what id do
    If her ears have been stretched to 12mm, then it is VERY unlikely (as in hell freezes over) that they will close up. Someone experienced in scalpalling will be able to cut them without the afformentioned bloody mess. The key is "Experienced". And please no more "Youtube". Talk to a pro, don't watch an amateurs entertainment video.

I was thinking of that but I've had them pierced for over 10 years. And also my right ear will only ever close up to about 3 or 4mm. And the hole is triangle shaped because of the way it split haha. Thank you for the advice anyway! :)

If her ears have been stretched to 12mm, then it is VERY unlikely (as in hell freezes over) that they will close up. Someone experienced in scalpalling will be able to cut them without the afformentioned bloody mess. The key is "Experienced". And please no more "Youtube". Talk to a pro, don't watch an amateurs entertainment video.

Okay staying away from the youtube videos sounds like a very good idea. I'll try and find a piercer who knows how to scalpelled ears and get them to have a look! Thank you for your help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

I was thinking of that but I've had them pierced for over 10 years. And also my right ear will only ever close up to about 3 or 4mm. And the hole is triangle shaped because of the way it split haha. Thank you for the advice anyway! :)

eitther way,let them close up for 6 months then you can go and get them scalpeled to the size you want,that would be a good option for you

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dinkel

If the stretching has been done properly 12mm isn't that unlikely to close up. I've seen ears go down up to 20mm, but that's been extreme. A lot of people can heal up to 12 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Dinkel wrote: »
    A lot of people can heal up to 12 though.
    Highly unlikely anyone will be able to heal anything from 10mm up fully. It might shrink down and get that puckered cats-bum look, but healing completely is almost unheard of. Unless they're some sort of Wolverine-esque amazing healer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dinkel

Dinkel wrote: »
    A lot of people can heal up to 12 though.
    Highly unlikely anyone will be able to heal anything from 10mm up fully. It might shrink down and get that puckered cats-bum look, but healing completely is almost unheard of. Unless they're some sort of Wolverine-esque amazing healer!

I wouldn't recommend stretching up to 12, 10 or even eight if you want to be able to heal completely. It's not like it doesn't happen though. I've seen it with my own eyes, on multiple occations. In these cases they did choose to keep a 1,6 piercing though, but it did not look wierd in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Hey all, I know there are probably a thousand people ask this in here but:

I have my ears pierced at like the smallest mm or whatever and want to start stretching them.

How should I begin? Sorry for being too lazy to trawl through this thread. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Hey all, I know there are probably a thousand people ask this in here but:

I have my ears pierced at like the smallest mm or whatever and want to start stretching them.

How should I begin? Sorry for being too lazy to trawl through this thread. :):)

I assume it's a normal butterfly back earring size? Like this?

Diamond-Earring-Diamond-Stud-61421.jpg

If so you should be able to fit a 1.2mm bar or ring in. The next step after that is 1.6mm which you can do via tapering or sometimes your lobe might loosen up a bit to fit 1.6mm jewellery in. After that it's 2mm, 2.4mm, 3mm, 4mm and so on in 1mm increments. I'd say use tapers up to 8/10mm or so and then PTFE tape after for bigger sizes. Remember to leave at least a month between each stretch and if it starts hurting (more than a kind of tightness sort of feeling) or bleeding during stretching stop immediately and downsize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

That's perfect.

Thanks so much. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm planning on stretching so I read the entire thread in one sitting and now I'm even more confused than ever :o Feck it, I'll be in Snakebite in a couple of weeks and I'll ask then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thomascullen

How long should i wait to strech up again after healing a blowout. Bare in mind it was a tiny blowout at around 4.5mm ( was using tape to strech up to 5 ) but i thought it was best to be safe and size back down to 3mm and start healing the blowout. now that its healed what is the wait time to size back up to 4mm. I only downsized about a week ago and the blowout is healed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I only downsized about a week ago and the blowout is healed.

Your blowout would not be completely healed within a week, though it may look like it is. Leave it a month, preferably 6-8 weeks, give your body time to heal properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Anybody got any tips for closing up stretched ears mine were at 8mm decided to take them out a week and half ago (I'll probably stretch back up at a more convenient time) they have closed quite a bit but just wondering is there anything I can do to help them along, I have been using vitamin e oil to try help it along, any advice would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Anybody got any tips for closing up stretched ears mine were at 8mm decided to take them out a week and half ago (I'll probably stretch back up at a more convenient time) they have closed quite a bit but just wondering is there anything I can do to help them along, I have been using vitamin e oil to try help it along, any advice would be appreciated!

Some people's ears will close up, some won't. If yours won't there isn't really much you can do to make them. Gradually downsizing by wearing progressively smaller jewellery can help to retain the round shape of the hole, that's something you could do if you wanted, but I don't think there's any way to speed up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭obnicc

Hi,
    I'm after reading through about 20 pages here, and I've been reading up a bit on other websites. I wanted to buy myself a taper to try start stretching one lobe to see how it goes, I've never done this before, ears were just pierced about 15 years ago with a gun.
    I've read all the stuff about being patient & taking your time, I fully intend on doing that :)

But I've been getting a bit mixed up on reading the size charts and thing. Basically I'm wondering if someone can clarify it for me? is 1.6mm the size of the taper I should start with and also what gauge does that bring your ears to for swapping it to plugs?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't wanna attempt anything before i fully understand it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'm looking to go into Snakebite tomorrow to get info on stretching, and hopefully, depending on the cost start the process tomoro (otherwise i'll have to go back up in a few weeks :() I wonder how much it would cost.

Also if anyone is on here before then, what is the highest you go in an initial stretch (already got pierced ears so no dermal punching I don't think)

obnicc wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm after reading through about 20 pages here, and I've been reading up a bit on other websites. I wanted to buy myself a taper to try start stretching one lobe to see how it goes, I've never done this before, ears were just pierced about 15 years ago with a gun.
    I've read all the stuff about being patient & taking your time, I fully intend on doing that :)

But I've been getting a bit mixed up on reading the size charts and thing. Basically I'm wondering if someone can clarify it for me? is 1.6mm the size of the taper I should start with and also what gauge does that bring your ears to for swapping it to plugs?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't wanna attempt anything before i fully understand it!

Probably better to start with 1.2mm. That's 16g. 1.6mm is 14g.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭obnicc

finality wrote: »
    Hi,

Probably better to start with 1.2mm. That's 16g. 1.6mm is 14g.

Forgive me if I'm being dumb here lol, but 16g is the usual size for lip rings isn't it? And those fit through my ear piercing the exact same as normal earrings do. Does that make any difference?

• Advertisement

Forgive me if I'm being dumb here lol, but 16g is the usual size for lip rings isn't it? And those fit through my ear piercing the exact same as normal earrings do. Does that make any difference?

As far as I know the earrings used in piercing guns are usually 20 or 18g. Wearing 16g for about a month definitely wouldn't hurt, but it might be unnecessary as your ears could well have self stretched if they've been pierced for so long. You could try buying a 14g barbell or labret stud and if it goes in with no pain then it should be fine. :)

Advertisement