Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobe stretching tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Like Will said, the recommended stretching rate is 1mm every 6 months!!! Not every month!!!
    That's a fast track to a blowout/tear, which you don't want!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

Like Will said, the recommended stretching rate is 1mm every 6 months!!! Not every month!!!
    That's a fast track to a blowout/tear, which you don't want!!!

that said. everyone is different. i got periced to 4mm stretch away. waited 3months and then streached to 5mm and then every 2months i went up by 1mm i only used tunnels when stretching too.. just something that would slip in with relitve ease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

cheers for the tips, i've recently started stretching my ears, read all of this before i started! :D

that said. everyone is different. i got periced to 4mm stretch away. waited 3months and then streached to 5mm and then every 2months i went up by 1mm i only used tunnels when stretching too.. just something that would slip in with relitve ease

True, but you dramatically raise your chances of having problems with it by stretching it at this speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

1mm every six months is a bit on the overly safe side Damo. The recommended guideline is this:

1.2mm to 1.6mm- 1 month
    1.6mm to 2mm - 1 month
    2mm to 2.4mm - 1.5 months
    2.4mm to 3.2mm - 2 months
    3.2mm to 4mm - 3 months
    4mm to 5mm - 3 month
    5mm to 6mm/6.5mm - 3 months
    6mm/6.5mm to 8mm- 4 months
    8mm to 10mm- 4 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I would have gone by that up until I started work.
    Basically since I have to remove my plugs everyday for work it was irritating them, even though my ears were settled at 19mm quite comfortably.

I have a blowout on my right ear at the back and even worse, a blowout on my left ear at the front. I've downsized to 16mm and rubbing olive oil into them everyday after work. Getting a friend in Canada to send me some holey butt'r too.

I've stretched my ears over a period of 2 years so far. 24 months and took 4 month break from stretching last november. Even at that my ears still got agitated due to me removing and inserting the plugs. As a result have to deal with nasty blowouts. Thankfully I've got them under control (sort of) and am seeing great results even after a week. Hopefully won't have to get them scalpelled.

I know everyone isn't in the same position I'm in, where I've to remove my plugs every working day but it's something to note. I can't really say if this would have happened but just take it into consideration when stretching.

Gauge wrote: »
    1mm every six months is a bit on the overly safe side Damo.

Was basing that on Wills guidelines there, plus the face that the slower you go, the easier it would be on your ears.

On your guidelines Gauge, it's around 1mm every 2-3 months, which isn't too bad at all, although I'd bet most people try to go faster than that...

Gauge's advice is spot on also, like there is no right or wrong as long as you take your time and don't rush it.
    Right viewpoint: Slow and steady
    Wrong viewpoint: 25mm lobes in 1 month.

I know better than to question the experience of either Gauge or yourself Will! ;)

Ah no I don't mind, plenty of stuff I don't know, I aint no amazingEmmet ;)

• Advertisement

*slap*

How dare you even think of comparing yourself!!! ;):p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

How did you get pierced to 4mm immediately?

You can get 4mm needles or can get pierced at 3.2mm and get it stretched up immediately using a taper

You can also get punched at larger sizes than the needles would allow, but have a good chat with your piercer on the pros and cons beforehand!

And would 4mm or even 3.2mm be big enough for tunnel jewellery?

Won't be that noticeable but yes

Hmm, ill look into it when i get paid next week so. Cheers lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I usually start wearing tunnels at 3.2mm. You can kinda see through them. It's cute :)

Well finally got pierced today. Its a 1.6mm hoop which to be honest, im absolutely hating. I just dont like rings like these, too many knackers wear them around here and dont want to be associated like that. I was thinking about buying these http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/steel_stretching_crescent_kit_16mm_5mm_4140467.cfm

Would i be able to put the smallest one in straight away? (Well in about a week once they have healed a small bit)

Oh, here is the other set im looking at. I know they wont go in straight away as the smallest is 2mm but i was thinking i could maybe get it into the lobe in about a month

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/buffalo_horn_crescents_5_crescent_kit_4139466.cfm

• Advertisement

I would leave the buffalo horn ones out of the picture until your ears are well healed only because horn like other organic materials is porous so will absorb blood etc. while you are healing. Stick to titanium if possible only because it's safer and isn't as reactive as others.

Buying kits... it's up to you. I think though that the temptation is there with kits to stretch way too fast simply because you have the jewelry there already.

Im gonna go for the silver ones. Just one thing though, how long should i leave these horrible hoops in before putting in the smallest crescent? They're both 1.6mm but obviously they arent healed yet.

you could go to a piercing studio and ask them to swap them out for you... at least then you'd know it will be in a clean environment.
    Personally I'd wait a month but I don't think you wanna do that, so maybe head to piercing place, get em to autoclave the jewelry and pop em in :D

Sweet, ordered the silver ones. Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

thanks for posting up your recent queries melion! im in the same area of thinking about getting started so will need to start off the same way as you! best of luck and il follow your progress for a while before i start!

Ill keep you updated as im going.

At the minute the pain has eased a lot, just more annoying than anything else. Expecting the kit i posted above in the post tomorrow so ill check out the size of the smallest one before i try putting it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Can't wait to start stretching my own, just waiting to finish my time working here :D

Melion wrote: »
    Ill keep you updated as im going.

At the minute the pain has eased a lot, just more annoying than anything else. Expecting the kit i posted above in the post tomorrow so ill check out the size of the smallest one before i try putting it in.

The most important thing here is patience, which I'm afraid to say, I'm worried that you mightn't have as you're already trying to swap the jewellery and stretch your piercing.

You NEED to take it slowly, or else you're going to end up tearing your piercing, or getting a blowout and messing the piercing up completely and being unable to stretch it at all in future...

Be patient and be careful!

The most important thing here is patience, which I'm afraid to say, I'm worried that you mightn't have as you're already trying to swap the jewellery and stretch your piercing.

You NEED to take it slowly, or else you're going to end up tearing your piercing, or getting a blowout and messing the piercing up completely and being unable to stretch it at all in future...

Be patient and be careful!

Trust me, ive been looking forward to doing this for so long i wont mess it up. I bought the kit above mainly because it has a 1.6mm crescent which is what is in my ear atm. I wont be changing the jewellery for a while because i want it to heal totally before i take the ring out. Once ive the crescent in i will be a lot happier with it(i hate the rings) and will be in no rush to stretch them. 5-6 weeks or more each time

• Advertisement

Really glad to hear it :)

Just take small steps each time and leave plenty time between and you should be grand :)
    Best of luck with it! :D

Advertisement