Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobe stretching tips

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cadeaus

I'm looking to get 4 or maybe 5mm tunnels put in. I had a 3.2mm tunnel in my left ear up to about ten weeks ago. I had to take it out as it got horiffically infected and my gland swelled up (long story). Is it possible to go to 4 or 5?

Anyway, any recommendations as regard studios in Dublin and expected prices?

It's €90 in body shock for both ears as far as I know, I might check out metalmorphosis tomorrow, although I've heard mixed things about that place. Any info/advice would be much appreciated!

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

€90 for what? Are they punching them or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Nah using a 3.2mm needle and proper jewellery. bit of a rip off.

just get em pierced normally and stretch em yourself

That is an absolute rip off. You could buy a lovely industrial strength taper for a fraction of that!

Yeah I can't figure out his pricing at all. Same set up as a normal piercing except with a larger needle... i got stung with it when i started stretching. thought stupidly they needed to be made bigger, didnt know could do it myself :-/

• Advertisement

Damn, the worst I did when I started was pay €20 for a pair of externally threaded 2mm barbells to be ordered into my local jewellery shop. Luckily they sold the 2.4mm barbells I ordered afterwards before I picked them up, forced me to venture online. Even though my old piercing place used to stretch my piercings for free if I bought the jewellery from them :/

But yeah, even if you don't go the IS taper route, €2.50 on a roll of PTFE tape and €6 on jojoba oil is still a lot less than €90.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

€90 is nothing compared to what i was quoted in Limerick.

I completely forgot a fella i knew from Shannon was a piercer in Danny Bullmans studio in Limerick so went in and asked in the place in Fox's Bow and was quoted €150 for 2 standard 2.4mm piercings. Went down to Dannys and got them for €20. Been getting all my stretches for free since then.

Now onto my problem. I went in to stretch up to 8mm today, nowhere in town had 8mm plugs or tunnels so i ordered them in the place mentioned above. They're expecting me to pay €30 per tunnel which is a feckin disgrace, just looked online and found the same pair for $14. Annoying though cause i want to do it tomorrow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

i wouldn't recommend bodyshock for stretching. its really expensive in comparison to other places. plus the guy made my ears bleed a lot :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cadeaus

I thought €90 was a bit expensive alright, as when I had my left done it was something like £15 in London for a 2.4mm piercing. I might shop around for a while.

I don't think I have the patience at the moment to stretch them from a normal piercing up to 4 or 5. I'd rather just get them pierced to 3.2mm or something. Is this the biggest the needles go before punching? How much would this usually cost? Recommendations as where to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Went to Snakebite on friday.

Left earlobe tapered to 2mm.
    Off center right lobe re pierced at 2mm.

2 x 2mm bars and a new tongue bar.

total: 45.00

so 90 seems steep yeah. :rolleyes:

Steve did say he could pierce them bigger if I wanted but I decided to stretch myself.

Im a stretching noob :o but my advice would be if youre in Dublin go have a chat with him hes lovely and really knows his stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,926 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've been using the PTFE tape, I had barbells in my lobes and have been wrapping the PTFE tape around them, so far so good. How the heck do I tell what size I'm at now tho? I'm useless with measurements?:confused:

Get a callipers is the only way you will know for sure :)
    or compare sizes with larger gauge jewellery

Calipers here for $10. Dead handy, not just for plugs :)

Edit: On second thoughts the postage on that site is a lot. I'll see if I can find them somewhere cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Local hardwear shop?
    I'd say they'd have them.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,926 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Cheers guys! Here I was trying to measure up against a ruler!!! :o

ruler would work if it has mm makring on it

Hmmm, so according to my Filofax ruler I'm just under 2mm. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Need some help here.

Im at 6mm and have been for just over a month. I want to go up to 8mm as 7mm tunnels are too hard to come by. Ive been in to get stretched but the taper wouldnt go through the holes. Anybody got any ideas on how to make it easier? Except for PTFE tape

Best option is time... 7mm isnt that hard, get a cheap pair from baf or onetribe? ok it is hard lol

http://onetribe.nu/item/157{1}10

It's an odd size alright. You could get em cut but dunno if you want that. Daily moisturising will help a lot. Another option is to get the piercer to taper your ear up to 7mm and have your 6mm jewellery with ptfe tape up to 7mm then just wear them till they become loose again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You could dead stretch in the shower, the hot water and such makes them looser, not a great option to though, if they wont go in anyway with the taper.

• Advertisement

Industrial strength make 7mm jewellery (I discovered this the hard way buying plugs for my 6mm conches :( )- what they call 2g is 7mm.

This should link to all their jewellery that's available in 7mm.

Well I'm up to 8g or 3.2mm now! Got myself a lovely pair of stone plugs with sparkles in them to celebrate!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Snickit

I have seen posts about getting pierced at 3.2mm and streching straight away to 4mm. Is this safe? If I self pierced (yeah yeah, I know) could I still do it?

While having a tweet with Will he has convinced me to go with a smaller needle. But I still want to stretch straight away :o
    How about a 2.5mm needle and a stretch to 3.2?
    Yay, nay?
    I'm far to impatient for this and it is going to cause my ears harm :(

If you really wanna get to 3.2mm straight off go with the needle
    and yes, you will screw your ears up if you arent patient :(

Will wrote: »
    If you really wanna get to 3.2mm straight off go with the needle
    and yes, you will screw your ears up if you arent patient :(
    Thing is I looked at the ruler and looked at 3.2mm. And now I'm scared of a needle that size :o But it is an option...
    I'm planning on buy these tapers http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/steel_tapered_insertion_pins_4020428.cfm or the stretching cresents from that site.
    I want to get http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/steel_flesh_tube_3386258.cfm But the taper goes to 3.2mm and the tunnel is 3mm. I can see this as a problem with it falling out or something good as it would sort of be like downsizing?

What size are you at currently? If you aren't pierced and are that impatient I'd say get pierced at 3.2mm. It doesn't hurt any more than a normal ear piercing.

Ignore the stretching crescents on bodyjewelleryshop.com. They're pinchers and should only be worn in healed piercings.

BAF do a steel stretching kit for <$10, you'll get a taper and a plug in it:
    http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=3131

Gauge wrote: »
    What size are you at currently? If you aren't pierced and are that impatient I'd say get pierced at 3.2mm. It doesn't hurt any more than a normal ear piercing.

Ignore the stretching crescents on bodyjewelleryshop.com. They're pinchers and should only be worn in healed piercings.

BAF do a steel stretching kit for <$10, you'll get a taper and a plug in it:
    http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=3131
    Oh? Does a needle that size remove any tissue? I would of thought since the needle is hollow it would remove a nice little circle, which sounds painful :eek:.
    Will said I would most likely need another someone to put the needle through due to the size? Any more info on this? I wouldnt trust anyone else at my ear except for a professional. Unfourtantly I am not in a position to get a pro job :(

Those kits look handy actualy... Shame they arnt tunnels (I'm really after tunnels but I guess I can survive on them for a while :pac:

Thinking ahead, can I start using PTFE tape at about 8mm?

EDIT: Saw this on BAF
    $3.50 International 4) Global basic ground USPS Avg delivery time 3-4 weeks (not insured or trackable)
    and the nearly $10 more option is only a week shorter... Are these estimates good or can they arrive in 1-2 weeks sometimes?

tbh it's cheap enough to get a normal piercing done by a pro, just get it done at 1.6mm and work up
    you gotta be sensible dude

blades dont remove tissue

• Advertisement

tbh it's cheap enough to get a normal piercing done by a pro, just get it done at 1.6mm and work up
    you gotta be sensible dude

blades dont remove tissue

Advertisement