Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobe stretching tips

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Snickit

Will wrote: »
    tbh it's cheap enough to get a normal piercing done by a pro, just get it done at 1.6mm and work up
    you gotta be sensible dude

blades dont remove tissue
    €30 odd last time I looked I think? that €60 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

nein, €30 for a pair im sure. go talk to a pro and see what the dealio is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Snickit wrote: »
    Oh? Does a needle that size remove any tissue? I would of thought since the needle is hollow it would remove a nice little circle, which sounds painful :eek:.
    Will said I would most likely need another someone to put the needle through due to the size? Any more info on this? I wouldnt trust anyone else at my ear except for a professional. Unfourtantly I am not in a position to get a pro job :(

Those kits look handy actualy... Shame they arnt tunnels (I'm really after tunnels but I guess I can survive on them for a while :pac:

Thinking ahead, can I start using PTFE tape at about 8mm?

EDIT: Saw this on BAF
    $3.50 International 4) Global basic ground USPS Avg delivery time 3-4 weeks (not insured or trackable)
    and the nearly $10 more option is only a week shorter... Are these estimates good or can they arrive in 1-2 weeks sometimes?

I've been ordering from them for ages and one week from shipping is the norm. I always get the $3.50 option.

You can get tunnels for $5, they're very cheap.

Needles cut a crescent shaped hole.

You can start using tape whenever you want really, I used it from 2mm up.

You're not planning on getting your lobe done with a gun, are you?

Gauge wrote: »
    I've been ordering from them for ages and one week from shipping is the norm. I always get the $3.50 option.

You can get tunnels for $5, they're very cheap.

Needles cut a crescent shaped hole.

You can start using tape whenever you want really, I used it from 2mm up.

You're not planning on getting your lobe done with a gun, are you?
    O lordy no. I know plenty about piercings even though I come across as an impatient noob. I also know I will probably get a bashing cause I'm going to order 2 of these: http://cgi.ebay.ie/1-x-8G-3-2mm-STERILE-2-STEEL-BODY-PIERCING-NEEDLE_W0QQitemZ270279118650QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33916QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

OK dudes and dudetts. I think I have come to a conclusion :pac:
    I will go with the above needles (I'm even buying 2 so I only use them once ;)) and these tunnels.
    I will then PTFE my way up from there after the new years.
    Anyone have any advice or objections?

• Advertisement

I hope you're not bothered by blood.

Gauge wrote: »
    I hope you're not bothered by blood.
    :eek:.

This leads me on to... How do I stop the blood? :o
    I have picked the $5 autoclaving service on BAF too. Is it worth it? I would guess so considering it will be a fresh piercing too

To be honest, you can autoclave stuff all you want, if you do not have proper technique in cross conatmination, blood borne pathogens and basic piercing skill this isn't gonna turn out well and won't matter that you've autoclaved the jewellery since you will probably contaminate them. Can you set up a sterile environment? most people can't

For all the money you are spending you could just get them pierced professionally and not have to worry about all of the above.

To be honest, you can autoclave stuff all you want, if you do not have proper technique in cross conatmination, blood borne pathogens and basic piercing skill this isn't gonna turn out well and won't matter that you've autoclaved the jewellery since you will probably contaminate them. Can you set up a sterile environment? most people can't

For all the money you are spending you could just get them pierced professionally and not have to worry about all of the above.
    2 quid on needles and 5 on tunnels ;)
    I would goto a pro, I have the money for it but.... I cant quite say I'm 16 or over :o

/expects something along the lines of calm down and wait a while. It's not a race.

I'm actualy considering 2.5mm now as its alot less scarey.

Oh dear...

You can get your ears pierced in some studios with parental consent. I think Snakebite let you, since it's only your lobes.

This thread is about stretching tips, not piercing tips. Bear this in mind.

• Advertisement

OK, last question before I'm out of this thread. A poster said they started PTFE at 2mm.
    Does it matter about size or can PTFE stretching begin whenever?

Can begin whenever. Take it slow if you do.

To be honest you've put me in the mood to not answer your questions any more, because you appear to only be hearing what you want to hear and copping attitude when people won't tell you want you'd like them to.

And frankly if you have to ask those kinds of questions I can say with 100% certainty you're not in a position to pierce your own ears and place the holes in the best location for further stretching. Have you even thought about how much a 3.2mm hole bleeds, and how difficult it is to fit a short, blunt, hollow tube into a freshly-pierced (bleeding) hole?

Toodles then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

when i put pfte tape on my plugs and try to put em back in, they'er really dry and it's like they soak up all the moisture and they're really hard to get in?
    and it's not that my lobes are too small or anything? it's just i lost a plug so im using pfte tape on a smaller plug.
    but i was just wondering does this happen to anyone else or is there anything to help it?
    sorry if i didn't make too much sense.
    thanks. :)

Yeah it's normal, just lube up the ptfe tape with some eh lube. If i dont have any i use to kind moisturiser and they slot in very nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

Yeah it's normal, just lube up the ptfe tape with some eh lube. If i dont have any i use to kind moisturiser and they slot in very nicely

thank you very muchly sir :pac:

edit: just tried, it's soo much easier using moistuiser :]
    i had been using bio oil :o

Never a problem :) *tips hat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

This tape stretching rocks, going up another 2mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

At 4mm now, you can see daylight through the holes now when I take my plugs out teehee :pac:

I have a flare question - I have 4mm amethyst plugs that I want to put in, but they have double flares and the flares are nearly 5mm. (I'm using no flare plugs to stretch.)

So my question is - do I have to stretch to 5mm to get the flares in, then let them shrink back down to 4mm to fit the middle of the plugs :confused: or after a while will they just loosen up and fit in?

I tried getting them in after a shower but they wouldn't go through and I didn't want to force them. If they do fit through though eventually does that not mean it's time to up a jewelry size though? I'm confused!

Once your ears are up to 5mm and comfy at that size you can put the plugs in, they won't shrink down that much. double flared plugs are for healed piercings and not suitable for stretching. Single flare would be the best option to buy if you plan on stretching more as you can insert the jewellery at your current size and have the front flare slightly larger to give a nice look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Some "Holey butter" or even a water based lube should help, strange as it sounds ;)

You're not at 4mm that long though, so it will loosen up over time and this would become easier... perhaps leave the double flared ones aside for a little while, till it has loosened up a little?

Thanks dudes. :o Ok so to clarify, is the size of the flares is what you go by rather than the wearable area when choosing what plugs to get? And double flares for your goal size only really?

When purchasing jewellery for healed stretched lobes you go by the size you are at, so for me it would be 20mm.

Wearable area is the thickness of the jewellery (from 1 flare to the other), so if you have thick lobes like me 12mm is usually the minimum else your ear just rolls over the jewellery like fat women wearing tiny bellytops *shudder* Most suppliers won't offer the option of wearing surface unless they're custom or high end. Cos I'm a freak I know Gauge only needs a small wearing surface since her lobes are naturally tiny :p

Double flare for well healed lobes, single flare or no flare when stretching :)

You should go by the gauge of the wearable area.

Smaller gauge plugs are notorious for having demonic flares :( a lot of people end up never being able to wear DF plugs at sizes below 2g- a 1mm flare at 4mm is a lot bigger than a 1mm flare at 10mm. If you take good care of your lobes you may be able to do it- you could be looking at a year or more of waiting though, depending on your lobe's elasticity. I have 4mm holes that are at that size for about a year now, and they won't take DF plugs at all.

Wearable area is the thickness of the jewellery (from 1 flare to the other), so if you have thick lobes like me 12mm is usually the minimum else your ear just rolls over the jewellery like fat women wearing tiny bellytops *shudder*

I hate you so much, I'm in work and I'm shaking with silent laughter from this description :mad:

Thought it would give a good visual description alright :D

Thanks so much you guys RAWK! <3

Gauge that makes lots of sense on the flare size thing, thanks :)

Will - EW! :(

I've bought no flare steel plugs all the way up to 8mm (goal size) so was going to just use them and tape, but somehow :rolleyes: got tempted by the 4mm amethyst plugs I mentioned and some really cute 5mm checkerboard ones along the way too, but they were >$10 a pair so its not the end of the world if I don't get to wear them. I do *need* to stretch my second lobe holes to 3mm at some stage though cos the cobalt blue GG plugs (single flare) I had are too pretty not to be worn again :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 L.i.t.h.i.u.m

Kay this might seem a bit naff but anywhos,

At the mo i have a 16mm in one ear and like I think 13mm in the other, the last few stretches I've just been doing a dead stretch myself, cause I thought there wasn't much to it, and Ive seen the piercers do it a fair few times, but my 16mm is no prob to stretch, its always been really easy to stretch, could possibly jump 2mm or 3mm at a go with a push, not that I would with the scaring, but my other ear has always been a bitch to stretch, its actually quite hard to stretch it, I normally have to give it like 3 months and the rest and then it still wont stretch:mad:

Is that normal or is it a bit odd???

Nah quite normal, well i found it this way. By the way wouldnt stretch more than 1mm at a time, i got a blow out thinking my ears could handle a 2mm stretch. anywho :)

My ears are now 20mm and my right one doesn't wanna stretch at all, the weather doesn't help but still. You can wrap em in ptfe tape of you could get em cut to a certain size. a few options, depends how much patience you have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Right ears back at 8mm!

YESSS!!!! :D

Only 17mm till im evened up, thats... 8.5 months?
    Thats long... ¬.¬

Advertisement