Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Certs

Options
  • 17-03-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Im just wondering what ye think are the best certs to get for someone who is going into programming?

Bit of background. I have a degree in Software Engineering (programming based degree), i only have a pass degree because i had to be compensated in one exam (not too happy about that).
    I have 1 yr Helpdesk, 1yr Level 2 Deskside support, and have been working 2months in a more Server Admin role - 60% server support, 40% end user support.
    In the last two months i have started my MCSE, i have MCP in XP & Server Maint (270 & 290) and MCTS in SQL. Next exam in a week.

Basically i think im going to finish my MCSE (id say 3 months) and then work on programming certs and try to get into that job market. I was reasonably good at programming and never found it hard. Main area was JAVA.

I have been checking and i cant find any good info.
    Ideally i would like to get a few certs, thinking SCJP (Sun Cert Java Programmer) and then maybe some other certs.

To be honest im a litte up in the air, could use a little advise.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

OK,

First off I am not a Java programmer I am a purely .NET dev. Java certs, best talk to Hobbes.

You have found yourself in the server admin role using MS products. From my point of view especially that you have the SQL 2005 cert as well, you might be better off looking at the .NET certs.

Now those certs are pretty worthless without experience, so I would try and find the job first before actually getting them otherwise they look like paper certs. But that is my own opinion on it.

Certs are a great help, but they don't necessarily mean anything without the experience to back them up.

Any particular reason you want to change tracks???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Well i took a job after college to pay the bills and stay in dublin. Got a promotion and nice pay rise after a year, same happened again and i was learning new stuff....so i was happy enough.
    Programming is always what i wanted to get into though.

Even though i am enjoying the server end of things i think its time to make a change, i dont want to leave it 2/3years down the line and think, god why didnt i sort this out sooner.

I know what you mean about getting random certs without any experience behind them. I was hoping a Java cert would go with my pass degree and give me a better chance of getting into the field.

And yes the fact that im working with MS products and have certs in that area...might be wiser to head down the .net side.
    To be honest i liked Java alot more when compared to C++, and i was better at it.

I have been looking for info on the different career paths but havent been able to find much. What is the jobs market like for programmers?

Thanks.

.NET development market is quite lucrative at the moment.

C# is much easier to use than C++. Designing windows and web applications in the same languages with much the same code.

If you understand Java you should have no problem with C#. The MCPD added with the MCTS in SQL is quite a powerful combination. But you would need the experience to back it up

As for Java certs, Hobbes is your best bet as he has a couple of them..

Depends on what you want to get into

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Thank you very much for the replies, everything helps.
    I might look into C# , im a little out of the loop when it comes to programming, feel a little silly asking but is C# relativly new?

Could you tell my roughly what to expect salary wise? I know its hard to say, but even what i would have to start on to get experience?

Many thanks again, great to be able to get some advise!!

C# has been around since the first incarnation of .NET so about since 2001 ish.

Expected salary would be mid 20's I think depending on the company and how well you can sell yourself with it rising after 1 or 2 years.

You would be going in an entry level or junior programmer because you havent got any official programming experience. Last time I was a junior programmer was in 2001 :D so I dont know how the market is now for them

• Advertisement
Advertisement