Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small claims court for unpaid rent?

Options
  • 17-03-2008 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has utilised the small claims court for tenants who've left without paying small amounts of rent. ie. last couple of months?

In this instance, i'm thinking in terms of someone renting 'under license' (ie. the rent a room scheme).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SCC is mostly for consumers chasing businesses, not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

If thats the case, do I have any other recourse to getting whats owed back?? Whilst i'm the one owed the money, its not really a commercial situation ie. not a fully fledged landlord - just renting out a room in my own house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Sue in the District Court!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Did you check out the Private Residential Tenancies Board?

See here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/rents-and-tenancies/private_residential_tenancies_board

Im not sure if they cover rent a room scheme otherwise it looks like going to district court.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Victor wrote: »
    SCC is mostly for consumers chasing businesses, not the other way around.

The Special Criminal Court? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

People who rent a room in a house don't have to sign a lease do they? I know they don't get the same rights as regular tennants, or am i reading this wrong..

Edit - Maybe you mean you left them stay for 2 months without paying rent in advance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Arathorn wrote: »
    People who rent a room in a house don't have to sign a lease do they? I know they don't get the same rights as regular tennants, or am i reading this wrong..
    No - you've got that right.
    Arathorn wrote: »
    Edit - Maybe you mean you left them stay for 2 months without paying rent in advance ?
    Well, some people have to be reminded every month - others pay up without question. It gets tiresome - particularly in an environment where your sharing a house. Turned out I was wrong (was just tardy payment) - but good to know what recourse is open as I'm bound to come across someone who will go this route eventually..

Advertisement