Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Themes??

Options
  • 17-03-2008 1:58am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hail the gods of Boards..... I beg of you please give us more themes such as family guy... or just something new and fancy in general.

Please??

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Not likely I'm afraid, we'll probably be ditching the few extra ones that we have also. Too difficult to update every time we make any change to the site.

Ideally we'll pare it down to the White skin, the Cloud skin (or similar) and a mobile skin.

Maybe somebody wants to write a greasemonkey script to overlay different themes though, which I'd try to facilitate as much as possible :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't get rid of the cloud skin. It's cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Also minimalist to be kept please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Was hoping someone had requested that someone add a skin to offer better support for iphone & ipod touch but I guess this wont happen if the skins are being downsized.
    The mobile skin works great for my nokia e61 but not so good on my ipod touch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CuLT wrote: »
    Not likely I'm afraid, we'll probably be ditching the few extra ones that we have also. Too difficult to update every time we make any change to the site.

Ideally we'll pare it down to the White skin, the Cloud skin (or similar) and a mobile skin.
    Seriously?

Wow, Boards just wouldn't be the same without my Green Skin tbh.

Please don't do this. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DesF wrote: »
    Seriously?

/salutes fellow green skin

Firefox + greasemonkey is an easier option I guess.

Seriously?

As I mentioned, it probably wouldn't be too difficult a side project to create clientside themes if someone had enough interest to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CuLT wrote: »
    As I mentioned, it probably wouldn't be too difficult a side project to create clientside themes if someone had enough interest to do it.
    I don't even know what that means tbh.

But I do hope someone tries to implement it.

/salutes Sherifu

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

kaimera wrote: »
    Also minimalist to be kept please :)

+1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I don't even know what that means tbh.
    A pack containing some graphics like the post reply button and a css style, stored locally on your pc so boards appears skinned or the other way is to use greasemonkey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Seriously?

Just checked out the Green theme.

*shudder*

Yore a strange man Des :/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I do feel for the Admins whenever an update is done and there are little template glitches here and there. Just having a phpBB forum with two templates and practically no users has shown me that even changing the smallest things can bring up a far greater amount of work needed than expected.

The Beta projects forum is probably the place for this thread. Is that right, is that the point of that forum?

Ask and you may receive, do it yourself and it's done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Would standardising the images make it easier for updating the site. I'd imagine creating new images for each skin is the most time consuming part when updating themes.

If you kept two or three image sets (the white one for lighter coloured skins, the cloud ones for the darker skins and one for the mobile theme). This means that whenever a new feature is added and a new image is needed you'd only have to make three. Not ideal for users but it may make a nice compromise.

Alternatively you could host the psd files (I imagine they are psds) of all the images somewhere on the site so that people can download them and alter them for the different themes. The only difference between the images in most of the themes and the classic theme is the background colour. This could lead to you getting tons of pms about updating an image because the one I created is a slightly darker shade then the one currently being used and works better etc. etc.

Would standardising the images make it easier for updating the site. I'd imagine creating new images for each skin is the most time consuming part when updating themes.

If you kept two or three image sets (the white one for lighter coloured skins, the cloud ones for the darker skins and one for the mobile theme). This means that whenever a new feature is added and a new image is needed you'd only have to make three. Not ideal for users but it may make a nice compromise.

Alternatively you could host the psd files (I imagine they are psds) of all the images somewhere on the site so that people can download them and alter them for the different themes. The only difference between the images in most of the themes and the classic theme is the background colour. This could lead to you getting tons of pms about updating an image because the one I created is a slightly darker shade then the one currently being used and works better etc. etc.

Unfortunately making PSDs etc available for download would be against the terms of the vBulletin license, but it's a good idea at its heart - if implemented with greasemonkey :)

Gordon - yep, this would be an ideal candiate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sort out the exiting mobile theme before we start adding new ones please !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Just after noticing this thread now...

I just want to saw that I am one of the 145 Black Theme users on this forum. Please keep it :eek:

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I just want to saw that I am one of the 0.09% of users who Black Theme users on this forum. Please keep it :eek:

Just highlighting for how I read it :)

There'll be a black/dark theme of some sort for accessibility purposes, but as I have said repeatedly, if one or more of you want to pool together to create a greasemonkey script of some sort to apply themes, it'd have the same effect but without us (read: me) having to make icons and other stuff that I really shouldn't be wasting my time on. Anyway, the things that require the theme to be changed/remove are on the long finger, so it will be a while.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement