Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimping an xbox!

Options
  • 17-03-2008 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭

Any one have any suggestions of good xbox mods (looks orientated, eg case mods with leds or something)

I have a crystal one and a black one so any ideas for either would be great.

I was thinking of putting a few strips of leds in the crystal one, can any one suggest where to get them? All i seem to be able to find is ones for cars!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Umm... Maplin tends to be a good bet for this sort of malarchey. Actually they defo have them in there.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Im guessing you've already seen the ones on dealextreme. 12V 54-LED RGB Light Strip (50cm) for $11. Check out new arrivals from the 3-4-08 theres a few of em there. How are you thinking of powering the LEDs witnessmenow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Was hoping to avoid 12v , but thats what they all seem to be!

If there were just regular leds i was going to try power them off the two LEDs in the front of the crystal xbox. Also seeing as the xbox is basically just a pc any leds for pc can be used as some of the same power connectors will be inside.

Yeah might tr maplin , thanks. Their website doesnt seem to have anything but im sure they have more than that in store.

That Dealextreme one seems rigid, i'd prefer something that can bend.

This is kinda what im loooking for, any one see it anywhere cheaper?

Depends on what the supply to the LEDs at the front is. Voltage isn't your problem, current will be if they only have a small amount going to the front LEDs. It wont power many if thats the case. But trial and error and a multimeter are your best hope id say. If you over cook the LEDs theyl light up and fry then. Twould suck to have to change LEDs every few mintues.

Keep us posted

This is kinda what im loooking for, any one see it anywhere cheaper?

They're also a 12V DC supply. And 100mAmp for the 25cm. Those LEDs on the Xbox shouldnt need more then 15mA to power them, and im sure they dont have 12V either!

Whip out the multimeter! If you dont, I will, after Java and Embedded systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is 12v going into the disc drive and the hard drive, and there hardly going to be bothered by 100mA

LINK

Good find there witnessmenow. If theres 12V going in there, nic it off that. 100mA shouldnt really matter if its the disk drive. Im sure theres way more then that going into it.

Wonder could I put the neons of my PC into the Xbox.... Hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 p0o0ohbear

Hey Guys,

You can just use a multimeter to find a 12V source.

Or for 5V, you can use a single LED with an appropiate resistor, all you've gotta do is solder them together.

Advertisement