Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Racist' games v.s Racist games

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

SDooM wrote: »
    Kids shouldn't be playing the games you mentioned, they are all labelled for mature audiences, and should not be sold to minors.

we all know they do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

owlwink wrote: »
    All I want to look at is whether or not the potential power of this is smaller or greater than that of the power enforced by the more specifically racist neo nazi games?

How is this two questions Mr. Lemming

Three questions actually.

Question #1: Are games that contain any sort of stereotype being inherently racist either by association or design?

Question #2 (conveniently rail-roading #1 for lazy convenience): Which is worse, games with inherently racist content, or games that are designed to make political statements and/or incite hatred by racist groups.

Question #3 (tying in with question 2): What metric am I using to quantify the 'potential power' of a type of game.

TBH, all I'm seeing is rhetoric and poorly thought out quasi-psycho-babble. Your thoughts on zombies is quite revealing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, surely thats the parents issue then, not the fault of the game. People who COULD be affected by stereotyping or realism in games should not be playing them.

You seem rather determined for us to agree with your point...

Fair enough if by question you mean both the main question and questions surrounding how I intend on questioning it, then I agree a vast number of questions come to the fore. I'm more just casually interested in this. I always find intersting how things relate back to body representations, specifically traanspositions and the abject....As modes of interpretations.

if you break down a question obviously it is going to uncover pretty much an infinite set of other questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Locoroco is clearly a horrible piece of hatemongering. BAN THIS SICK FILTH!!!

Sure even Doom is hooribly racist, didn't those imps have brown skin after all???

• Advertisement

Fair enough if by question you mean both the main question and questions surrounding how I intend on questioning it, then I agree a vast number of questions come to the fore. I'm more just casually interested in this. I always find intersting how things relate back to body representations, specifically traanspositions and the abject....As modes of interpretations.

if you break down a question obviously it is going to uncover pretty much an infinite set of other questions.

TBH, as a gamer, graphical representations always come second to game play. Unless someone, like Yahtzee, points it out, I dont even notice if the demon I am shooting in the face is black, white or green.

I have no point only a question

No. I do not mean "the main question" and questions surrounding it. You have no main question. What you think is a main question is several other questions as pointed out. And once more I'll repeat that you need to go back and rethink what it is you're asking.

As for infinite other questions, that's what "scope" is for. Of course, it helps when you have a thought-out question.

What about younger audiences who are not quite as developed a gamer as you. Also its not whether you notice it or not. When I say covert racial steriotyping, I hardly mean things that you just notice. Covert means hidden, doesnt it???? The fact that you dont notice it may be that you have become numb to it, maybe??? Through overexposure.

What about younger audiences who are not quite as developed a gamer as you. Also its not whether you notice it or not. When I say covert racial steriotyping, I hardly mean things that you just notice. Covert means hidden, doesnt it???? The fact that you dont notice it may be that you have become numb to it, maybe??? Through overexposure.

Covert does not equate with subsconcious. For something to be covert means that it has been willfully and intentionally created and then hidden from view by design. Therefore it is not subsconcious.

I'd also like to point out that your last few posts have been moving into the straw-man "what if" category; with constantly redefined boundaries on what questions you're trying to answer (if at all)

TBH, it looks awfully like you're trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

• Advertisement

No, if I encounter racism in any way in my daily life, I am reviled by it.

Seeing as I've been playing games since I was about 4, I can say kids aren't really affected by it, either.

Younger gamers shouldnt be allowed play games like these unless their parents judge they are mature enough to seperate reality from fantasy.

Sometimes when you throw out a raw malformed question, you get responses from people such as yourself. That generate more thought around the idea. Thus helping me get an idea of scope. I havent done anything on this, only casually throwing something out, to see what interesting responses I get. huh

Firstly I'm not trying to answer any questions. Obviously no definitive conclusion can be met with such subject matter. Also by covert I mean the implications of hidden racism in games themselves, and by subconscious I mean, in that of the individual perceiving the subject matter. They are not aware of the implications of what they are viewing/engaged with. It is running deeper into the minds, possibly infecting other perceptions

How can you make such an assumption for all kids. You where one child not all. Maybe your just special

Sometimes when you throw out a raw malformed question, you get responses from people such as yourself. That generate more thought around the idea. Thus helping me get an idea of scope. I havent done anything on this, only casually throwing something out, to see what interesting responses I get. huh

Maybe you should research into studies already made. There has been several studies made in the past revolving around the impact of violence in games.

I don't have the results to hand but many came ot either inconclusive or indicated that violent people were drawn to violent games, rather than violent games making people violent.

I'll try and dig them out for you.

How can you make such an assumption for all kids. You where one child not all. Maybe your just special

You asked for opinions, I'm giving you mine.

I would dare say none of my friends who grew up gaming with me have joined the BNP, either.

Ha HA BNP boys, thanks SDoom.

I don't have the results to hand but many came ot either inconclusive or indicated that violent people were drawn to violent games, rather than violent games making people violent.

that sounds quite interesting. Would be great if you PM me anything you have on te subject. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

. Stereotypes - of any kind - are shorthand used when telling stories.

Kudos, thats a great expression.. ive never heard it used before but very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well if my parents let me watch Saw 4 or whatever when I was 8 years old that would be bad too. "We all know they do though" proves that the people who should be protecting kids from games (and violent/racist movies) aren't doing their job.

Advertisement