Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clever corner

• 17-03-2008 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Never seen this done before. A very clever corner by Roma that was wrongly disallowed by the officials, probably because they just didnt notice it. Basically, Pizzaro went to take the corner, put the ball down, touched it with his foot just a tad, and pretended he hadnt taken it and was just switching corner taking duties with Totti.

United will have to watch out for that in the Quarter Finals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah saw that a while back. I can see how the ref didn't give it which is a pity cause it's so clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

That is quite genius, shame the officials didn't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah saw that a while back. I can see how the ref didn't give it which is a pity cause it's so clever.

A while back? That was yesterday... :confused:

Archimedes wrote: »
    A while back? That was yesterday... :confused:

Ah I see what have happened here. Unfortunately youtube is disabled for me in work and I was going on your description. I am 99% sure a team has done this is the not too distant past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Ah but you're forgettin he's in australia, the time difference and all that:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

He should've mentioned it to the linesman beforehand, because in fairness, that was hard to spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Liverpool did that before. Smicer & Baros. The stupid linesman messed up then too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Liverpool did this with Luis Garcia and Gerrard as well.

When i lived in Sydney the team i played for used this corner sometimes. And scored twice as a result. We talked to a referee one time about the legality of it and he agreed that we could use it providing we didn't try to deceive the opposition by shouting "here _____ you take it instead".

Of course you can't over use it but it's a nice little trick to have in your locker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United did it before too, although slightly different.

Giggs went to take the corner. Put it down, then Beckham came over, Giggs passed it incredibly relaxed to Beckham as if he was giving him the ball to take over the corner kick, and Beckham turned on it and went to play, but the ref blew up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i saw this about 6 years ago (not roma obviously!), i used to manage an underage team and i had 2 really good players that tried everything, this was one of them, nearly scored from it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Does the ball not have to move one full revolution before it's considered as taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

deisedevil wrote: »
    Does the ball not have to move one full revolution before it's considered as taken?

yup, that was my understanding for all set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Real Madrid were caught out by the same routine by Getafe/Levante the other week. Waterford United kept doing it for one season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

If that's right there's no way that corner was taken. Without realising it Totti had ran off with the ball without the corner being taken. When giggs and beckham did it the ball had moved, but here the ball was just touched, that's not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

But lads, we've all seen indirect free kicks where the player just literally taps the ball a tiny tiny bit and then the other player strikes it. That's not a full revolution is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Don't forget the wonderfully executed Pires/Henry penalty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

There was one taken like that a couple of weeks ago and was shown on Soccer AM. It could have been that Levante one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

That's it pd101

Waterford! That's who i saw do it before. That was wreckin my buzz all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

My wee brothers U-16 team tried this a few times, twice it was disallowed and the third time they scored from it....leading to a mass brawl with the opposition managers and fans....great entertainment! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

This has been done many times before and i thought the rule was that the ball had to leave the corner quadrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

we used to do it regularly with the school team the amount of times it worked was unbelievable but we always fold the ref before the match we were doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

deisedevil wrote: »

No, not any more. It was changed a few years back.
    For all dead ball situations, including indirect free kicks, the ball just has to be tapped to be considered in play.

Not many people know this and for the last team I played for we used to abuse this rule on a regular basis:D

...Basically from the first free kick in the game around the penalty area we'd let the ref know what we were going to do. The ball would be tapped and the next player would run up to the ball and instead of shooting/passing would go dribbling into the area with it and create a chance for himself. The other team would be always caught cold. We got a handful of goals doing this, including winning a couple of penos when the dribbler was fouled on entering the box...it used to be mayhem when we did it, with the other team feeling cheated - we weren't breaking any rules, but I always felt sorry for the ref when the opposition vented their outrage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Yeah remember seeing Robbie Baggio doing it years back, think it was when he was with AC Milan...I thought it was the coolest thing ever (i was only 7 or 8 so up until that moment the coolest thing ever was Coco-Pops!)

Advertisement