Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't text 3 UK from o2 and Vodafone

• 17-03-2008 3:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else had this problem or an explanation from your Irish network as to why you can't text people on the 3 network in the UK?
    My mate just moved to Scotland for work, took out a contract with 3 there, and now none of her friends from home can text her. 3 told her it must be a fault with the Irish networks.

At least I can text her from my 3 Ireland sim but it's pretty annoying that every other network can't do it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Good old 3. Its always every other network in the world's fault

Good to see their english operation is no different. I recommend she changes to a better network.

If they won't acknowledge there's a problem they'll never fix it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I often text English networks from O2(they give free international web texts) and have never had an issue. The laws of probability say sam vimes is correct, I'm afraid.

I guess if you wanted to pursue it you could get someone in O2 to track a text and make sure it leaves Irish cyber space correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Thats strange I though 3UK were fairly well established and would have all those types of problems sorted out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm living in the UK and have had a 3 UK Contract phone for over a year now and have absolutely no problems sending or receiving SMS to/from my mates on their Irish phones (O2, Meteor, Vodafone etc). Sounds to me that the issue is specific to her phone or Contract set up with 3 UK.

Cheers,
    TC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tincool - it sounds plausible that it's a problem with her phone, but, the messages I sent her failed INSTANTLY, literally as soon as I press 'send' it says 'message not delivered'. Friends on other networks (i'm on o2) have the same problem.

I will call o2 and see if they've had similar reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Going on a pretty faint memory but I think this could be due to the following. If the number you are texting falls into a new number range that Three UK have recently introduced, it is possible that they have not notified Vodafone Ireland or O2 Ireland of the new mumber range. IIRC, they have to add the new number range to their SMSC in order for you to be able to send a SMS to the Three UK subscriber.

As I said, extremely faint memory so could be way off the mark.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I am having the same issue texting 3ireland users from Australia. The texts don't send. I was thinking this was because of the 3g network not being international, but after poster above, I am now convinced it is entirely 3's fault and they should be burned at the stake.

lol I said I was going on a fairly vague memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

guys take your sim cards out then rub them lol:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well my theory is that 3 is a 3g network right? So they use the 3g network to carry data? Is it possible, that like with O2 etc. being unable to send picture messages (naked or not) out of the country, 3 is limited by the irish 3g network as it stands and cannot receive or send data (ie text, calls) internationally. I'm just thinkin its a possibility, but I'm all for being proved wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Well my theory is that 3 is a 3g network right? So they use the 3g network to carry data? Is it possible, that like with O2 etc. being unable to send picture messages (naked or not) out of the country, 3 is limited by the irish 3g network as it stands and cannot receive or send data (ie text, calls) internationally. I'm just thinkin its a possibility, but I'm all for being proved wrong.

Incorrect...I have text both to and from the states, to voda, and orange in UK and to and from Spain all no problem with 3. Text has nothing to do with 3g technology

This is not the case.

While they didn't evolve from a GSM network, the Core Network of the UMTS architecture is still very closely linked to that of which was used in the GSM architecture, i.e. they still have Circuit Switched components of the network like any other 3G provider.

From any presentations I have seen recently, it will be a while before any European carriers move to a completely IP based network.

Advertisement