Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Ulysses Observations

Options
  • 17-03-2008 4:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Just finished reading Joyce's Ulysses for college. Although it was a struggle, I really really enjoyed it. Just curious about any interesting observations people have made durind and upon completing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've found myself walking about Dublin thinking "Oh there's where Bloom bought the soap" or "There's where Sirens happened" before realising that they never did anything in those locations because they weren't real.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

John wrote: »
    I've found myself walking about Dublin thinking "Oh there's where Bloom bought the soap" or "There's where Sirens happened" before realising that they never did anything in those locations because they weren't real.
    There are plaques all over Dublin at some of the most famous locations.
    That may be leading you on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Alice Junge

the novel is poorly written hehe

Eh? :confused:

mad

• Advertisement

Do you mean "The novel (Ulysses) is poorly written" or that after reading Ulysses you feel that "The novel (in general) is poorly written"?

The more we delve into Ulysses the more Joyce laughs at us.

I'd maintain that he's laughing along with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I took it as a seminar option in my final year. Declan Kiberd is a hero! Leopold Bloom is a brilliant, brilliant character.

Anyone read the critical theories behind the two women spitting from the top of Nelson's Pillar? Hilarious stuff.

elmyra wrote: »
    Anyone read the critical theories behind the two women spitting from the top of Nelson's Pillar? Hilarious stuff.

No, any links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

John wrote: »
    No, any links?

None that I could recommend as being any good, sorry. Did all of it in class. If you feel like Googling though I'm pretty sure the chapter is Aeolus.

Advertisement