Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prelude Type S

Options
  • 17-03-2008 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

just wondering has anyone owned or driven one?
    I think they look like a good package; look beautiful, relatively cheap, easy to insure, not many of them about, plenty of power and a comfortable drive. I even think they might give a descent mpg return. (currently on 28mpg from a 2ltr NA)
    so any opinions or things to look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i never drove a type s but i did drive a euro version vti which had 200bhp, very very nice cars lovely and comfortable with the power there when you need it, really are very nice cars, the one i was in had all the extras, heated seats and the like not sure if the type s has these as i presume its more performance orientated with the 220bhp.

what to look out for is basically the same as other vtecs, make sure theres no blue smoke coming from the exhaust or the vtec could be on the way out, make sure the vtec actually engines, the engine note should change significantly, honda seals are prone to leaking so check these, arches can be prone to rust, check to see if it uses oil, some do, some dont. theres probably alot more, try to find a prelude owners club and they should have more information on what to look out for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

draffodx wrote: »
    make sure theres no blue smoke coming from the exhaust or the vtec could be on the way out,
    :confused: Blue smoke=burning oil. Nothing to do with vtec.
    make sure the vtec actually engines, the engine note should change significantly,
    You will get a check engine light if vtec malfunctions, which it doesn't.

ATTS on the S - you will need to make sure it's ok. Other than that the only 2 things Hondas are know for is distributor issues (check for hesitation in the rev range) and CV joints.

Oh, and avoid the SSS/Tiptronic gearbox. They are rarely maintained properly and therefore give trouble later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

JHMEG wrote: »
    ATTS on the S - you will need to make sure it's ok.

I understand what it does, but how would i know its working correctly (unless you mean there's a light on the dash if its broken)

Also, why was the prelude never very successful? not quite a sports car, not quite a GT car?

:confused: Blue smoke=burning oil. Nothing to do with vtec.

Vtec uses oil to work, if theres blue smoke then it could mean the piston rings are gone or valve stem seals need replacing which means an engine rebuild.

:You will get a check engine light if vtec malfunctions, which it doesn't.

There can be other issues that lead to the lose of vtec, I have read over on itr-dc2 of people who have had problems with vtec engaging or seemingly not engaging because of dirty leads, faulty solenoids, valve clearances, timing issues.

make sure theres no blue smoke coming from the exhaust or the vtec could be on the way out
    if theres blue smoke then it could mean the piston rings are gone or valve stem seals need replacing which means an engine rebuild.
    :confused:
    There can be other issues that lead to the lose of vtec,
    vtec doesn't fail unless someone's been messing with it. And if it does you'll get a check engine light.

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    I understand what it does, but how would i know its working correctly (unless you mean there's a light on the dash if its broken
    You should be able to see all the workings and check that they're all intact. Check engine light, if it's not working, afaik.

Prelude was quite successful in its class.

:confused:

Blue smoke for a car with vtec is bad, if it smokes blue when vtec is engaged it means an engine rebuild may be required as vtec uses oil to function. this is the impression i get from reading "blue smoke" threads on vtec onwers clubs forums. so its something the op should be aware of and to look out for

vtec doesn't fail unless someone's been messing with it. And if it does you'll get a check engine light.

true you will probably get an engine management light, vtec can also fail to engage if a delimiter is used incorrectly too though and you wont get a light for that, I was just saying that the op makes sure the vtec is engaging properly and its probably best to drive a few cars to get the feel of them.

prelude owners clubs that might be helpfull:

http://www.ludebehaviour.co.uk/forum/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Senna wrote: »
    Also, why was the prelude never very successful? not quite a sports car, not quite a GT car?

If you're talking about the last model it may be to do with the looks.
    Bit of a moose compared to the previous generation.

Blue smoke for a car with vtec is bad,
    Blue smoke from any car is bad, and vtec has nothing to do with it, and nor will vtec be affected by it.

"vtec uses oil to work" is true, but vtec is hyrdaulic, it just happens that the fluid used is oil. As long as there is oil in the engine vtec will work.

sorry i can see how my comments are vague and misleading, jhmegs comments are more accurate, will edit mine when i get the chance

• Advertisement
Advertisement