Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clattering noises! Test in 2 days!

Options
  • 17-03-2008 7:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm having a small panic and was wondering if anyone could help me. My test is in two days out in Swords, I'm doing it in my mum's car which is a 98 reg.

A couple of weeks ago deeply worrying clattering sounds started coming from under the bonnet. The car was booked in for the NCT that week so we took it for a service.

The mechanic said that the catalytic converter was on its way out, and we shouldn't expect it to pass the NCT. But it flew through it and is therefore deemed roadworthy even though it is still making the sounds.:confused:

Should I be worried about this? The car's performance is as perfect as ever, but I'm freaked about scaring the examiner!:eek:

Thanks x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I would take the mechanics advice and get the converter sorted. The car passed the NCT because it is roadworthy, but as you said, the noise may make the tester think differently. The catalytic converter has no effect on performance or safety (road safety) so it will of course pass the NCT. Im not a mechanic, but either way you're going to need to get the problem fixed at some stage. If it cant be done in 2 days, maybe get a rental car or use your instructors car. I would also post this problem in the Motors Forum as people there may be able to help more with a car fault. Good luck in your test too

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I passed my test with an ominous rattle from the steering column (caused by a loose screw). You should be fine, hopefully considering the time scale. But I'd get it fixed as soon as possible either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Aiffy

I passed! There wasn't a word said about the rattling thank Christ. I can trade the thing in now so everyone wins! Thanks for all the advice xx

Ahh thats great Congrats Aiffey.

Advertisement