Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failed victims of initial hype/over-expectation

• 17-03-2008 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hard to think of a title for this one!

What Im saying is, how many players can you think of who either did not/seem to not be reaching their full expected potential compared to what was expected of them from the off?

Michael Owen: fair is fair, he has had an injury plagued career, but jesus that quote from the commentator after his goal in 98 against Argentina about what a player he would turn out to be in the future must be depressing for him to remember when he struggles to be fit to play for relegation dodgers.

Paul McShane: after his rock solid defending and virtual captaincy of the team v the Czechs in Dublin, the form just hasnt been reproduced for club or country. Obviously there is alot of time in the future, but it just aint like that debut so far.

Anthony Stokes: after the hype of his SPL season he has nearly disappeared off the radar.

Any others? Anyone think of any player who, for example, scored 2 plus on his club or international debut/early days, but after the initial elation that caused was found out as a pretty mediocre player?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Gianluigi Lentini always springs to mind. I know he had a terrible car accident but i remember how unbelievable he was with Torino before his accident.

Ariel Ortega is another one. Even though he played regularly for Argentina he never seemed to fulfill his potential.

David Connolly for Ireland is another one. He just flattered to deceive. He wasn't good enough.

Also agree with Paul McShane. Looked like a mature strong defender. How wrong we were.
    I think the opposite is true of Richard Dunne. He started off so shaky and unreliable but grew into a good defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Diouf. Destroyed France on his own in the world cup then went on to be muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

When I noticed The Traitor had *finally* dropped McBobbelhead back in January I felt the guy was finally showing that he might know something about this management game.

Personally I think the guy is so bad that I'd have either O'Brien or O'Shea at CB for us in a heartbeat.

(BTW does anyone else think it might have been a bad idea incorporating stickfigures in the logo at physioroom.com? :confused:http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

for united anyway, hmmm, let me think -

these came with a reputaion, miller being the one that alot was expected of from good performances for celtic in champions league, the other 2 had huge pedigree and high pressure for instant results.

liam miller
    veron
    kleberson.

john o shea, even though he is still class ( :D ) was touted as being the best since sliced bread at united, his first season he was unreal, he still does a good job, but he was brilliant that first year.

others, surely walcott has been a let down so far, does he have wat it takes to do it at the top level, i dont think so anyway, but thats just my opinion.

liverpool went through a phase of signing players for about 5 years that were a big let down, diouff, diao, chearou, id even put kuyt up there, though the other 3 were much more hyped.

shevchenko for chelsea, i thought "oh sh*t", when he signed.
    theres so many really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

McShane can still be a good defender, he's still young and learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

There is an endless amount of Brazilian "Next Ronaldinho's" for this list, to get the ball rolling...

Kerlon - "The Little Seal" had so much hype, he was a YouTube prodigy, then he almost signed for Middlesbrough... ?

Kleberson - LOL, started for Brazil in the World Cup final, one of the worst United signings ever.

Adriano - I watched the 2005 Confederations Cup and i was shocked with what i had seen, after a good season with Inter this guy was looking like the best striker in the world, then i kept a closer eye next season and he was amazing again... Then... Nothing.

Oh and also, this thread is the life story of one, Hugo Viana.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    There is an endless amount of Brazilian "Next Ronaldinho's" for this list, to get the ball rolling...

Kerlon - "The Little Seal" had so much hype, he was a YouTube prodigy, then he almost signed for Middlesbrough... ?

Oh and also, this thread is the life story of one, Hugo Viana.

who is kerlon on the books of now, i thought he was supposed to be a united player with no work permit? he is a great mystery.

as for viano, he is not the only player to be signed for the geordies with a big reputation but only to fail. could have been good that lad. Dyer, Owen, Duff, the list is endless.

Kerlon is still at Cruzerio, only scored one goal so far this season. Looks like he's still adjusting to the higher levels of the game, I'd say it'll be at least a year or two until he comes to Europe, and then he'll probably go to France, Portual or Holland, then to one of the major leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Cassano. Touted as the future of Italian football, he has since gone completely off-the-rails. No doubting his talent, but he seems to be struggling to come to terms with the huge expectations on him. He might yet get it together though.

Aaron Lennon seems to be disappearing off the map now since the emergence of Gabby, Ashley Young and David Bentley. I never rated him *that* highly, but it doesn't seem like he'll fulfil the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, Lentini is the big one. World record fee at the time wasn't it?

And maybe Mark Kennedy? A record fee for a 18-19yo at the time i think and big things were expected of him at Liverpool. He didn't really take off tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Willo Flood

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lee Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Which one? The guy from Man United or the guy from Man United?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Theo Walcott hasn't exactly produced nor has Mikel since being signed. I would have agreed with Cassano befiore but he has had a great season this year and had a few good ones for Roma. He's just a dickhead

I think Obi Mikel has been excellent, looks like a top class player imo.
    Walcott is still like 18 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

First player that came to mind was Freddy Adu. He's still young but I don't think he'll reach the heights that people were predicting when he made his debut at 14.

SofaK wrote: »

And maybe Mark Kennedy? A record fee for a 18-19yo at the time i think and big things were expected of him at Liverpool. He didn't really take off tbh.

lentini was unlucky though, i think that accident runied him.

Mark kennedy, well, 2 words, mark kennedy and liverpool. big things are expected of every player at liverpool, and more often that not over the past 10 years, they have failed to love up to it.kennedy was never going to be anything special.

freddy adu, ah yes, the biggest case of championship manager syndrom ever :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

SofaK wrote: »

Yea it was a record. Think it was £13-14m if i remember correctly.

Agreed on the Mark Kennedy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

PHB wrote: »
    I think Obi Mikel has been excellent, looks like a top class player imo.
    Walcott is still like 18 :)

19 today or yesterday i believe actually:) Agree that he hasn't exactly lived up to the huge expectations yet, but i think he's slowly but surely improving. When he comes off the bench he now seems much more capable of making something happen. When he learns to compose himself more i think he'll come good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Helder Postiga is another one that springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Titus Bramble and Richard Wright - from their Ipswich days.

Martin Phillips - City signed him as a teenager for £1 million from Exeter and he was meant to be the next Giggs. Most people on here are going to say 'who'?

Eric Djemba Djemba

Sean Dundee/Eric Meijer - Both scored big in Germany and their physical style was expected to suit the Premiership. It didn't.

Karel Poborsky - He scored THAT goal in Euro 96 and went to United. Did next to nothing. A good player though to be fair.

More will spring to mind soon no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mark Gonzalez was one. Heard great things before he signed, Rafa bought him in spite of a cruciate injury, he raised his profile further during a fantastic second half of season loan at Sociedad, single handedly keeping them up with his goals, including a screamer against Real. Then scored on his debut for pool in the champions league qualifiers with only 2minutes on the pitch. Sold after a year. in hindsight i'd prefer we kept him and gave him another chance and just sold Kewell instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

terry dixon... "the irish rooney", released by spurs last month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Stefan Iverson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Im dissappointed with Adu, i actually belive he posseses world class talent, but it seems he belived his own hype in the US... I was a touch dissappointed United didnt take him after his trial, i think under Ferguson we could have had a big player, just look at what he does at the underage World Cups.

Terry Dixon, wow, what on earth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

As a Newcastle fan, far too many players have been signed and touted as being the next someone. Some that spring to mind are Luque, although he wasn't really given a fair shot either and Stéphane Guivarc'h, the world cup winner!

- Anyone remember that Irish lad who signed with Juve and was touted as being the ext big thing? EDIT: According to Wikipedia, he's carving out a carear in the MLS.

- Danny Cadamarteri at Everton

- First few times I saw Pongole at Liverpool I thought he was going to be the new Kop legend.

- I have still yet to see what the hype is surrounding Stewart Downing so I am anticipating his place on such a list in 5 years time.

franny jeffers and richie humphreys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

defo liam millar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Stan Collymore was the British record transfer at 8.5 million, and I think his career pretty much went downhill from there on.

• Advertisement

- Danny Cadamarteri at Everton

i remember him, what a haircut! i say that lad couldnt handle the headlines.....disappeared fairly fast once he "made it". john motson loved him though.

Exit wrote: »
    Stan Collymore was the British record transfer at 8.5 million, and I think his career pretty much went downhill from there on.

collymore actually had it all tho, it was just his head that was ****ed

he couldve been the best in the world

- Anyone remember that Irish lad who signed with Juve and was touted as being the ext big thing? EDIT: According to Wikipedia, he's carving out a carear in the MLS.

Thing with Ronnie O'Brien is that he IS a class player and easily good enough to be in the Ireland squad now. Nobody made an effor to go get him. He's made the MLS team of the year a few times and was MOM when the MLS played Chelsea a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

when Rooney burst onto the scene, i was sure he'd be the best player in the world by this stage, or at least in the top 3.

A lot if injuries and failure to really develop have meant he aint really near the top top players in the world, which suprises me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Mr Alan wrote: »
    when Rooney burst onto the scene, i was sure he'd be the best player in the world by this stage, or at least in the top 3.

A lot if injuries and failure to really develop have meant he aint really near the top top players in the world, which suprises me.

ah no pretty much any team in the world would want him, i think that says it all. who wouldnt want wayne rooney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Pennant
    Jeffers
    Saviola
    Denilson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Mr Alan wrote: »

He has had some inconsistent form and droughts, but I dunno. Bit harsh tbh, you would hardly say he is a failed player would you?

If in seven years he is playing for Wigan and hasnt worn the England jersey for 3 years, Ill agree :)

Freddie Adu seems to have disappeared a bit alright. Still, his possible 15 minutes of fame made him enough of a celebrity to lamp that singer JoJo, so I guess he is happy enough :)

Is this Dixon lad likely permanently out with these injuries? Shame if so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Has to be Damien Duff for me. This guy was terrorising defences in 2005. What the hell happened to him?

Look at him in his prime:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QY0y5IEL_pE

Tonight he didn't even make Newcastle's bench. Such a sad downturn in fortunes. I really thought this guy would go on to be one of Ireland's all-time greats. It looks less and less likely as time goes by. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Tonight he didn't even make Newcastle's bench. Such a sad downturn in fortunes. I really thought this guy would go on to be one of Ireland's all-time greats. It looks less and less likely as time goes by. :(

As a Newcastle fan, fair play to Keegan, this is what Duff needed. He has been woeful this season (not the only one mind) pulling out of tackles, not tracking, not following up on balls.

Hopefully, this will be a wake up call to himself, and others at the club, that no one is guaranteed their place and they will have to fight for their place.

I still think (and hope) that he can become the player he once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Reyes really is the player that epitomises this topic as nothing was stopping him from being the world class player he should of been but his weak mind..

Also without the injuries I honestly think Ronaldo might have gone on to be the best player ever. He was ridiculously, insanely good before the first knee injury.

Rooney hasnt gone on leaps and bounds either, from the 17 year old that came on the scene.He has not been the same player since he got that injury before the 2006 world cup.Some of his passion and hunger when he was 17 has just vanished.He's still class but looks to have peaked..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Has to be Damien Duff for me. This guy was terrorising defences in 2005. What the hell happened to him?
    (

He got old....

He grew to his physical peak, with his hunger and aggression declining, his pace going down rapidly, leaving age and injury to take their toll, and like other footballers he had to increasingly rely on guile, experience and brains........Oh dear :(

All at the age of 25...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

liverpool went through a phase of signing players for about 5 years that were a big let down, diouff, diao, chearou

those 3 were signed about 1 week/2 weeks apart in the summer of 2002. Biggest waste of £18-20m ever, though Cheryou did score that goal at Stamford Bridge, liverpools only win there in like 75 years :p (19 years i believe is correct)

Diao was awful and even though Diouf had his moments (his amazing display against Blackburn is one) the dude is bonkers plain and simple, he seriously must be on something..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Thing with Ronnie O'Brien is that he IS a class player and easily good enough to be in the Ireland squad now. Nobody made an effor to go get him. He's made the MLS team of the year a few times and was MOM when the MLS played Chelsea a few years back.
    He was MLS MVP or something at one stage too I think! As regards, the Ireland scene, wasn't O'Brien another one who wasn't on speaking terms with the management? Didn't get on with Don Givens (who else?) maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

shane86 wrote: »
    He has had some inconsistent form and droughts, but I dunno. Bit harsh tbh, you would hardly say he is a failed player would you?

If in seven years he is playing for Wigan and hasnt worn the England jersey for 3 years, Ill agree :)

Freddie Adu seems to have disappeared a bit alright. Still, his possible 15 minutes of fame made him enough of a celebrity to lamp that singer JoJo, so I guess he is happy enough :)

Is this Dixon lad likely permanently out with these injuries? Shame if so :(

Freddie is at Benfica this year and i've heard he's doing well (haven't seen anything myself). I still think he'll be a big player.

has the question mark over his age been sorted yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Eric Djemba Djemba

Sean Dundee/Eric Meijer - Both scored big in Germany and their physical style was expected to suit the Premiership. It didn't.

dundee and meijer were overhyped :eek: both of those cost a combined zero. Did either even start a match???

Serhiy Rebrov is one that springs to mind £12m was a hell of alot of money especially to Tottenham in June 2000.

Everton have had a ton of over hyped players come through their youth ranks, Cadamarteri, Michael Ball, Michael Branch, Francis Jeffers to name a few; all were supposed to be the best players in their respective positions

rossie1977 wrote: »
    dundee and meijer were overhyped :eek: both of those cost a combined zero. Did either even start a match???

Dundee - Scored 25 goals in 77 for Karlsruhe. Played 3 games for Liverpool

Meijer - Actually played 27 league games but never scored. Did bag two in the League Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Ronaldo in his prime was the best finisher the game has seen.If anyone saw him play at barca and psv they would know just how good he was.Even with the injuries he has suffered,He is still considered one of the greatest players to grace a football pitch.

Alot of the players mentioned in the thread seem to have little to do with the op question about Failed victims of initial hype/over-expectation.Some like reyes are too early to question since he still has his best years ahead of him.While others like jeffers,wright,pennant are spot on but then again you could argue that the fees being bandied around for these players are not because of their talent but it was because they were english.

The fact remains that players who are english cost alot more then foreigners so the level of expectation being based on the transfer fee is very unreliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Terry Cooke
    Michael Stewart
    Luke Chadwick
    David Healy
    Darren Gibson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ricardo Quaresma, shoulda woulda coulda comes to mind.

Trilla wrote: »
    Terry Cooke

City legend
    eZe^ wrote: »
    Ricardo Quaresma, shoulda woulda coulda comes to mind.

Wooooh now hold on there a second. Yes Quaresma didn't settle at Barca but f*ck me he is class now. Still only 24 FFS! Have you watched Porto/Portugal when he plays? He scores some unbelievable goals. My second favourite player outside City.

• Advertisement
Advertisement