Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failed victims of initial hype/over-expectation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

looking at Erik Meijer's stats on soccerbase he started 7 league games for liverpool with 16 sub appearances. I think the majority of them came when liverpool were in the midst of an injury crisis the likes i have rarely seen since. I remember there was one game where camara, owen and fowler were all out injured and meijer played up front on his own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

eZe^ wrote: »
    Ricardo Quaresma, shoulda woulda coulda comes to mind.

Indeed. A player who is rumoured to be on his way in the summer for £20 million is clearly past it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

In response to the op, Michael Owen did go on to become European Player of the Year in fairness to him. And I really dislike the guy.

Denilson if he hasn't already been mentioned (star of 97's 'Le Tournoi' and formerly the most expensive player in the world).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Xavi6 wrote: »

Wooooh now hold on there a second. Yes Quaresma didn't settle at Barca but f*ck me he is class now. Still only 24 FFS! Have you watched Porto/Portugal when he plays? He scores some unbelievable goals. My second favourite player outside City.

I like him, and Im not saying he couldnt turn out to be absolutely fantastic in the next few years, but so far he has failed to reach up to expectations, he should be one of the best players in the world right now, but he's not and thats why I mentioned him. Again, he still has time to prove me wrong, like Cassano as someone has mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The next Thierry Henry............David Bellion:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I like him, and Im not saying he couldnt turn out to be absolutely fantastic in the next few years, but so far he has failed to reach up to expectations, he should be one of the best players in the world right now, but he's not and thats why I mentioned him. Again, he still has time to prove me wrong, like Cassano as someone has mentioned.

Well for me he is already absolutely fantastic. And what expectations were these? To succeed at Barca? He was about 19 when he went there and simply couldn't settle. Now he's a the best player in the Portuguese league and along with Ronaldo is destroying full backs for the national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

Practically any young English player, ever.

Lampard and Terry at international level.

Stokes (in contrast I think Walcott has done well, noone expected him to play at the WC).

Graham Barrett

Stephen McPhail

Kevin Phillips

god, how long have you got?

You can't really just single out Terry and Lampard for England, majority of their players don't do it that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Kevin Keegan as Newcastle manager 2nd time. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Syke wrote:
    Kevin Phillips

I can't be bothered to go looking up Wikipedia but i'm fairly sure he's been a decent pro wherever he's gone and got a premiership golden boot and is leading scorer in the championship. I don't think anyone ever expected him to be world class, not even the english press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

shane86 wrote: »
    Bit harsh tbh, you would hardly say he is a failed player would you?

No i wouldnt say he was a failed player, not even nearly.

I would say he hasnt lived up to the initial hype, and i certainly expected him to have done more by this stage in his career when he burst onto the scene.

which ties in pretty nicely with the theme of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

This thread has gone abit mad, maybe we should starting including players who have underperformed in a specific season also? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Joaquín

Was brilliant at Betis and has done nothing since he joined Valencia.

He's a winger and he only got 5 assists in over 40 games last season.

Unlike Ronaldo, he didn't pitch in with goals every second game though!

Whoever said Kevin Phillips must be having a laugh. He's having a brilliant season. Top scorer in the Championship and he was out injured for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i think this list can go on an on. it just goes to show how much a gamble alot of transfers are...forgot about bellion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Syke wrote: »
    Kevin Phillips

ahahaha

are you for real?

phillips overperformed if anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

agree with Joaquin, remember World Cup 2002? he was a phenom, but now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Morten Gamst Pederson. Had a great season in 2005-06 and was seen as a cert to be sold to one of the big clubs. Ever since his form has varied between mediocre and average.

Pighead wrote: »
    Morten Gamst Pederson. Had a great season in 2005-06 and was seen as a cert to be sold to one of the big clubs. Ever since his form has varied between mediocre and average.

Yeah definitely. Although I partly put this down to him being Blackburn's only technical player at the time, with all the play therefore going through him. Bentley and Santa Cruz in that respect, have stolen his thunder, and he doesn't stand out as much any more.

Whoever said Phillips ought to check their tracking, as someone already said, he over-performed if anything.

Lee Bowyer really went to the crapper,alot to do with his own ill-discipline. I remember for two or so seasons at Leeds he was incredible, rumored to be subject of an £18 million bid from United. It all went dowhill from there.

Speaking of Leeds, Michael Bridges is a perfect example of the OP's question. That first season with Leeds he really looked like he was the next Shearer.Now it seems he's lucky if a pub team will have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Theo Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Sizzler wrote: »
    Theo Walcott.

Walcott will be make it...

A bit more bulking up which will come with age and in 2-3 years time you could be looking at one of the top players around.

The guy has world class pace and his basic technique is improving all the time, he's instinctive too....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Lee Sharpe was a superstar when he burst on the scene in 1990. Seemed to me that he never recovered from the discovery of Ryan Giggs a year later.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Theo Walcott.

The lad's only 19 and making limited appearances, he has no place in such a thread.

I think Rooney has set this unrealistic expectation that any footballer who seems decent at 16, must be a world beater by 18, come on folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Speaking of Leeds, Michael Bridges is a perfect example of the OP's question. That first season with Leeds he really looked like he was the next Shearer.Now it seems he's lucky if a pub team will have him.

Think he's warming the bench for Sydney FC..

So yea, he's pretty much at pub league level..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Bellion?:mad:

Is now the third top scorer in the french league, oh wait no no you are all in fact correct.

One for me is Erik Nevland supposed to have been another Ole Gunnar. Mark Kennedy is defo one.

ibh wrote: »
    Think he's warming the bench for Sydney FC..

So yea, he's pretty much at pub league level..

Nope he was only on loan at Sydney for six months so he's back in England now. Couldn't really cut it over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Has to be Damien Duff for me. This guy was terrorising defences in 2005. What the hell happened to him?

Look at him in his prime:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QY0y5IEL_pE

Tonight he didn't even make Newcastle's bench. Such a sad downturn in fortunes. I really thought this guy would go on to be one of Ireland's all-time greats. It looks less and less likely as time goes by. :(

Basically if you want to further your career, avoid Newcastle. They have so much money and make 'big name signings' .how?? Havent done anything since the first bout of Keegan management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I think he'll always be too inconsistent a player to be a top top player but in fairness to him his move to Barcelona did him damage. He moved too early I think and got very little chances. Think the move did more damage than good and probably knocked his confidence a great deal.
    Fantastic player when on song though

Bellion?:mad:

Is now the third top scorer in the french league, oh wait no no you are all in fact correct.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, so I'll presume you are with your last sentence.

He was called the next Thierry Henry and did feck all at Man Utd, Sunderland and some other prem club(think it was west ham)

3rd top scorer in the french league, who cares, Djemba Djemba shined there.

Now will I get a "woooooooosh" :p

Rockee wrote: »
    Basically if you want to further your career, avoid Newcastle. They have so much money and make 'big name signings' .how?? Havent done anything since the first bout of Keegan management.

Newcastle are not to blame for the way Duffer presently is. Its down to himself partly and also Mourhino. As much as I admire the man, he despised wingers and managed to put Duff's, Robben's, Joe Cole's, and SWP's carear in reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Unearthly wrote: »
    I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, so I'll presume you are with your last sentence.

He was called the next Thierry Henry and did feck all at Man Utd, Sunderland and some other prem club(think it was west ham)

3rd top scorer in the french league, who cares, Djemba Djemba shined there.

Now will I get a "woooooooosh" :p

He is s**t! I hope that clears everything up for you.

• Advertisement

Cheers

I just had you saying the last sentence in that sarcasm tone Father Jack did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Freddie is at Benfica this year and i've heard he's doing well (haven't seen anything myself). I still think he'll be a big player.

Yep, Freddy moved to Benfica a few months ago and is doing ok. Mainly used as a sub and has scored a few times. Saw him play the other night for the USA U-23s in Olympic Qualifying, easily the best player on the pitch and scored. Still only 18 so still a lot to learn for him.

Regarding his initial hype, it had more to do with Nike more than anything who had signed him to a big deal. Almost everyone at the time(when he was 14) with an ounce of soccer knowledge adopted a wait and see approach to Adu.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Yep, Freddy moved to Benfica a few months ago and is doing ok. Mainly used as a sub and has scored a few times. Saw him play the other night for the USA U-23s in Olympic Qualifying, easily the best player on the pitch and scored. Still only 18 so still a lot to learn for him.

Regarding his initial hype, it had more to do with Nike more than anything who had signed him to a big deal. Almost everyone at the time(when he was 14) with an ounce of soccer knowledge adopted a wait and see approach to Adu.

Wait and see? Feck that. He was in my Championship Manager team by the time he was 13! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Helix wrote: »
    terry dixon... "the irish rooney", released by spurs last month

BIt harsh, was only realissuffered a third dislocated kneecap in 2 years.
    He is only 18 and if if he can get fit again he will still be good enough for a premiership team.

Was a fantastic player underage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nicola Pozi, Milan paid something like €11million for him, Think he played about 10 league games, haven't a clue where he is now.

Marco Boriello, same as Pozi, used to be ****e but seems to be doing alright now, 2nd top scorer in Italy at the min, Will probably be back at milan next season.

Seaneh wrote: »
    BIt harsh, was only realissuffered a third dislocated kneecap in 2 years.
    He is only 18 and if if he can get fit again he will still be good enough for a premiership team.

Was a fantastic player underage.

ive heard from someone who scouts for an unnamed english side that dixon wasnt that good, injuries aside, and that he was just massively blown out of all proportion by the irish media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Hugo Viana - 11million to Newcastle... Went to Valencia after that for 1.5million (rumours) and now not really playing that much on loan at Osasuna.

Skud wrote: »
    Hugo Viana - 11million to Newcastle... Went to Valencia after that for 1.5million (rumours) and now not really playing that much on loan at Osasuna.

Shudder

javier saviola never exactly lived up to his hype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

There's a thread in the Football Manager forum with loads of examples of these-
    Ton-Ton Zola Moukoko, anyone?
    Nil Lamptey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Joaquín

Was brilliant at Betis and has done nothing since he joined Valencia.

He's a winger and he only got 5 assists in over 40 games last season.

Unlike Ronaldo, he didn't pitch in with goals every second game though!

Ftw...

Honestly thought that guy would be a world beater, next Figo if you like, he had world class pace, great touch and was strong as a bull...

Ronaldo's the player he should have been alright...

Helix wrote: »
    ive heard from someone who scouts for an unnamed english side that dixon wasnt that good, injuries aside, and that he was just massively blown out of all proportion by the irish media

We're getting as bad as the English. I reckon you could field about 3 teams of failed Irish players who were hyped by the media in the last 5-6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Practically any young English player, ever.

Lampard and Terry at international level.

Stokes (in contrast I think Walcott has done well, noone expected him to play at the WC).

Graham Barrett

Stephen McPhail

Kevin Phillips

god, how long have you got?

The same Kevin Phillips who was rejected by Southamption as a young right back, went to the mighty Baldock Town where he became a striker and worked his way up the football league to become the European Golden Boot winner, and is currently the top scorer in the Championship?

Or do you mean another Kevin Phillips?:confused:

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Or do you mean another Kevin Phillips?:confused:

No, I mean the Kevin Phillips that was touted as the new Shearer, was destined for International glory and was supposedly one of the best strikers in England.

Phillips success at Sunderland had more to do with Quinn and the wingers than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

No, I mean the Kevin Phillips that was touted as the new Shearer, was destined for International glory and was supposedly one of the best strikers in England.

Phillips success at Sunderland had more to do with Quinn and the wingers than anything else.

Yes, but the question here is 'failed victims of INITIAL hype' (eg Cassano, Denilson) INITIALLY, Kevin Phillips was deemed only good enough to play for BALDOCK TOWN (what league do they even play in), and went on to become the top scorer in Europe. He is an example of the polar oppisite of what the thread asks. In fact, if you asked me to name one player who carved out a successful career from nothing, I would most certainly say Kevin Phillips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I'll need help with this one because he turned out so poor i've actually forgotten his name but does anyone remember the young Everton striker in the 90's Danny Cam..ra...something, drawing a blank. Young black guy with ropey dreads was touted as the next big thing then quickly dissappeared into mediocrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Danny Cadamarteri, plays with Huddersfield afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Archimedes wrote: »
    Danny Cadamarteri, plays with Huddersfield afaik.

Thank you that was annoying..also for differant reasons Terry Dixon. Included in the senior Irish team at 16...highly reguarded at Spurs and winner of some young Irish talent accolade only recently had to quit football because his knee is gone. I know it is slightly differant as it is not an under performing comparison but I was really looking forward to see this guy perform on the big stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i remember in the Premier League Sticker album they had the next big things as being:

Darren Caskey and Ian Selley.

Leeds had two great strikers in Jamie Cureton and Jamie Forster in their youth team. They did have good runs in the lower divisions but i think more was expected of them.

Richie Humphries for Sheffield Wednesday as Helix said. Another fella at Wednesday was Steve Haslam - future England centre back :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Irish underage teams that won trophies under Kerr.

• Advertisement
Advertisement