Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Garden Prone To Flood

Options
  • 17-03-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My back garden is prone to flood every time there's a lot of rain, it more gathers in little puddles here and there, doesn't help that the dog has taken up most of the grass by running around the garden !

What i'm wondering is there any relatively quick fix for this. I've been told on golf courses they drill holes down and fill them up with sand and that stops them flooding, anyone know would this work for my garden and if so how far down would i have to drill the holes and what width would they need to be ?

I know to do it properly i should dig the whole thing up and sort out proper drainage but with the dog running around the garden it's not really feasible.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

It would depend on your soil

My father lives near Pottery Road in Dun Laoghaire and they dont call it that for nothing - very heavy pottery clay in the garden. Garden was constantly flooding (several inches). He ended up digging foot-deep trenches down the garden and a sink-hole. Filled everything with largish stones and covered with soil. It fixed the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

homer911 wrote: »
    It would depend on your soil

My father lives near Pottery Road in Dun Laoghaire and they dont call it that for nothing - very heavy pottery clay in the garden. Garden was constantly flooding (several inches). He ended up digging foot-deep trenches down the garden and a sink-hole. Filled everything with largish stones and covered with soil. It fixed the problem!

Well the original soil is more like clay but i put a layer of top soil over that but as i said i'm still getting the little floods. Was hoping i wouldn't have to dig the whole thing up but starting to think there's no other way :confused:

Wreckless

Thanks for the link seen that thread before but don't think it'd be a good idea digging the whole garden up witht he dog running around.

Advertisement