Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Itinerary SE Asia

• 17-03-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hey,
    Sorry I know this has been touched on in other posts but would appreciate some direct feedback if possible!
    Planning backpacking six weeks in Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos in August and trying to figure out where best to fly in/out of. I haven't planned my whole trip yet or anything but kinda want to get my big flights sorted soon coz of price and just to have a plan I suppose.
    My sense is to start in Laos, then down to Cambodia and over to Vietnam, working from HCMC to Hanoi. Does that kinda make sense or would I be better off doing Vietnam North to South, Camb and then up to Laos?
    It probably doesn't matter but my sense from reading other posts here and sites is that the first option might make more sense.
    For flights - the cheapest option would be to pick a base and then get return flights from there, most likely Hanoi or HCMC. So maybe fly into Hanoi, then across to Laos and continue back up to to end there. Or do the same for HCMC. Know I'd end up in the same city twice but could keep one of the stays to just a quick base stop.
    The other option would be to get return flights to Bangkok and then use cheap flights to start and end in Laos/Viet. I think though I'd end up spending a few days in Thailand and it would make me even more stuck for time & rushing around.

Anyway, thanks for reading & any info is welcome! Only a newcomer to boards but this is a great forum to put questions out and some of the posts about ideas for the individual countries have been great.

Also, as a female going alone, general positive remarks about meeting people on routes & being safe ......yes please! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Rtn flights to/from Bangkok probably would be the cheapest option and with a bit of planning you could head off straight away on a cheap flight into Cambodia.

Airasia fly direct to Phnom Penh while Bangkok Airways fly direct to Siem Reap where the Angkor Temples are - the Phnom Penh flights would be cheaper but you would have to backtrack to Siem Reap from Phnom Penh by bus (8/9 hours)

From Cambodia, it is easy to get to Ho Chi Minh by bus and beforehand to organise your vietnamese visa in Phnom Penh - takes a few days so fit this into your itenary.

Working from Ho Chi Minh up to Hanoi is easily done by the Bus whicch is advertised everywhere - approx €26 one way to Hanoi on a hop on, hop off ticket

Piece of advice - DO NOT get the bus from Hanoi to Laos - its the closest thing to torture, fly to Luang Prabang or Vietianne

6 Weeks is cutting it very fine, its doable but you will be rushing from one place to the next - try and decide on you exactly you want to see and do and create an itenary around it - i spent a month in Vietnam and another month in Laos, still didnt do everything i wanted :rolleyes:

Reember that Vietnam is a huge country and getting around takes time - i loved Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh while Hoi An and Nha Trang are certainly worth a bit of time

Its easy to get Bangkok for your return flight - bus from Vietianne or flight from Luang Prabang - there's also a boat to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand but this takes 3 days so probably not an option
    Also, as a female going alone, general positive remarks about meeting people on routes & being safe ......yes please!

You will meet lots of people in the Guesthouses and on your travels, especially in Vietnam where people are usually going the same direction, dont worry and enjoy your trip :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Im presuming its possible to go from Hanoi down to Ho Chi Min City by hop on-off bus, without stopping everywhere is 2 weeks a realistic amount of time to do that coast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Im presuming its possible to go from Hanoi down to Ho Chi Min City by hop on-off bus, without stopping everywhere is 2 weeks a realistic amount of time to do that coast?

I just posted in the Vietnam thread about this,it's possibleto fit a lot in in two weeks but it would all be very rushed,we did amonth there and didn't do nearly all we wanted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i agree that two weeks will be a little rushed in vietnam. i was there for a month and didnt get to visit all the places i wanted. you might want to consider just concentrating on either the north or the south.

Advertisement