Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland going down?

• 17-03-2008 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Earlier on in the season, Sir Royston of Keane Manor said he didn't think that Sunderland were one of the three worst teams in the Premiership.

Right now I think they probably are.

Fulham with McBride and Bullard back are a different story.

Wigan are on a roll that Sunderland could only dream of.

Birmingham are better too IMO.

I think at this stage it's Bolton, Derby and between Newcastle and Sunderland for the third spot. Newcastle are a better team then Sunderland but are going through a shocker at the moment. IMO if they can pull themselves out of this they'll stay up and Sunderland will go down.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sunderland to go down? Yes please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

what xavi said.

irish sunderland fans: back to wearing your leeds jersey's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

bah, looking for opinion rather then schadenfreude.

I think it'd be pretty good if Reid, Murphy et al were still playing in the top flight.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think you're somewhat mistaken there. Leeds fans have no love of Sunderland, the goal from the 1973 FA Cup final being shown year after year as an example of the "romance of the cup" ensures our continuing dislike of them. I'd love to see them going down, and that's before I even get onto my dislike of Roy Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think they could, but for Keane I'd like to see them stay up. He has made some dodgy signings...quantity no quality.
    what xavi said.

I bought two (last year and this years) cas they were cheap! and I dont see the harm in supporting them especially with young kids, makes a change imo. I'm gonna stick to United and Bohs. Never catch me in a Leeds jersey though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's still up in the air I think.

Derby are going down. End of :)

Then you have
    Wigan
    Played: 30 Points: 31
    Boro
    Played: 30 Points: 31
    Reading----Played: 30 Points: 28
    Newcastle--Played: 29 Points: 28
    Sunderland-Played: 30 Points 27
    Brum
    Played: 29 Points: 26
    Bolton
    Played: 29 Points: 25
    Fulham
    Played: 30 Points: 23

Bolton's game in hand is against United, can't see them winning that.
    Brum and Newcastles game in hand is against each other tonight. I'm beginning to think Newcastle will win it.

Realistically, the relegation battle is going to be decided over the 6 pointers.
    Sunderland play:

Fulham Away
    Newcastle Away
    Boro Home
    Bolton Away

I'd say they'll win against Boro, then they need to get another 3 wins I think. Sunderland have gotten a lot of their points at home this season, very little away. Unless that changes, they are gona be in big trouble. But I expect Keane to pull them out of it, not because of Sunderland being good, but the others being utterly **** :)

They also play City, West Ham, Arsenal
    They might pick up a point or two in those games, maybe Arsenal if the league is already over at the end, but i'd be surprised.

I think Derby, Fulham and Bolton will go down.
    Why Bolton?
    Because they are on 25 points, and here are there upcoming games,

United Away
    City Away
    Arsenal Away
    Villa Away
    West Ham Home
    Boro Away
    Spurs Away
    Sunderland Home
    Chelsea Away

Even if they beat Sunderland and Boro, that puts them on what, 31? They 7 of probably the top 9 teams in the league, most of their goals came from Anelka, and Jussi has just gotten injuried for the year.
    They haven't a hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Zaph wrote: »
    I think you're somewhat mistaken there. Leeds fans have no love of Sunderland, the goal from the 1973 FA Cup final being shown year after year as an example of the "romance of the cup" ensures our continuing dislike of them. I'd love to see them going down, and that's before I even get onto my dislike of Roy Keane.

I think he is refferring more to the bandwagon jumping Ole Ole-er who was a Blackburn fan, then a Leeds fan, then an Arsenal fan and is now a dyed in the wool Mackem.

Exactly the 'niche' Quinn was targetting, although the numbers travelling are not a fraction of what they hoped. Which is far from a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bolton will drop and Fulham won't escape.

Proof

Mike.

PHB wrote: »
    I think Derby, Fulham and Bolton will go down.
    Why Bolton?
    Because they are on 25 points, and here are there upcoming games,

United Away
    City Away
    Arsenal Away
    Villa Away
    West Ham Home
    Boro Away
    Spurs Away
    Sunderland Home
    Chelsea Away

Even if they beat Sunderland and Boro, that puts them on what, 31? They 7 of probably the top 9 teams in the league, most of their goals came from Anelka, and Jussi has just gotten injuried for the year.
    They haven't a hope :)

Boltons fixtures...

United Away
    City HOME
    Arsenal HOME
    Villa Away
    West Ham Home
    Boro Away
    Spurs Away
    Sunderland Home
    Chelsea Away

bolton can take points off any side at home. of course that depends what bolton side turns up :p

I think he is refferring more to the bandwagon jumping Ole Ole-er who was a Blackburn fan, then a Leeds fan, then an Arsenal fan and is now a dyed in the wool Mackem.

lol, exactly what i was goning to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bolton have lost Jussi Jaaskelainen for the season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Toodle pips Sunderland.:D

Will make me feel great when they go down, all the Oirish fans buying their 10year season tickets.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

what xavi said.

In fairness how many Sunderland jerseys have you seen being worn?

I dont think there is any harm in Irish people taking a passing interest in the team and wishing it well. However some of the expectation of Sunderland was over the top, alot of fans and pundits seemed to think with Roy at the helm they were going for a top 6 finish minimum. Indeed there is a book I took a glance at in Easons about the Irish reviival of Sunderland (at the time the book was written at least), and a quote from someone (pundit, manager, cant even recall who) along the lines of "Sunderland to win the Prem next season? I wouldnt bet against it!"

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Sunderlands fate will be decided on May 3rd. ====> Bolton V Sunderland

If they win this they will survive. If they lose they may well be goners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Hopefully they are joined by Reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Will make me feel great when they go down, all the Oirish fans buying their 10year season tickets.:rolleyes:
    Ah right. your problem is with the Irish supporters rather than the club itself. If Sunderland do get relegated they will all move onto the next bandwagon so they wont lose anything.

Personally I think they will stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id rather see newcastle go down than sunderland tbh, mainly coz newcastle have a few decent players we could try and rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't think that many were bought. Anyway, surely it's up to people which club they wish to follow.

Would buying a Sunderland season ticket not fall in line with your 'real fans' sig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think they'll be alright. They've got some quality in midfield now in Reid, Edwards and Richardson.

Keane has been criticised for his transfer dealings, but you have to applaud his recruitment of Andy Reid.

The former Charlton midfielder might be one of the fattest men in football, but he's not short on skill.

Sunderland have been crying out for someone with the ability to open up defences and Reid has this in abundance.

He found gaps in a tight midfield and was the beating, flabby heart of everything that Sunderland did.

With Carlos Edwards also looking quite sprightly on his return from injury, there is hope for this team yet.

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/sports/story/0,4136,159418,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Seriously doubt that Sunderland will go down. Bolton are gonna implode without their keeper and Fulham are just muck (I think Everton were slumped with thier UEFA exit). With Derby already cemented to the bottom, I think all the other teams can already breathe easy.

The most interesting thing I can think of regarding Sunderland right now, is what the hell they plan to do to have a hope of surviving next season. They may have 6 players in their entire squad good enough for the premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

haha so many people desperate for them to fail. Quite scary really.

I have no idea if they'll go down, seems a bit of a lottery at the moment. 1 win and you look in a great position to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Seriously doubt that Sunderland will go down. Bolton are gonna implode without their keeper and Fulham are just muck (I think Everton were slumped with thier UEFA exit). With Derby already cemented to the bottom, I think all the other teams can already breathe easy.

The most interesting thing I can think of regarding Sunderland right now, is what the hell they plan to do to have a hope of surviving next season. They may have 6 players in their entire squad good enough for the premiership.

I'd say,
    Gordon
    Evans
    Bardsley
    Richardson
    Reid
    Edwards
    Jones
    O'Donovan
    Stokes

are all good enough for a premiership squad.
    You gotta keep in mind, Sunderland were an awful squad before Keane took over. A good manager can get you to the premiership, but he can't keep ya there. I think the board and Keane know much more money is required for next summer.

Once they stay up though, they'll be able to get a better quality of player. I'd say that they might try and raid the clubs going down for some good players, like say Barnes are Derby, Davies at Fulham, or Nolan or Diouf at Bolton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

PHB wrote: »
    I'd say,
    Gordon
    Evans
    Bardsley
    Richardson
    Reid
    Edwards
    Jones
    O'Donovan
    Stokes

are all good enough for a premiership squad.

Yeah, but not all the same one at the same time. That's just courting disaster.

I doubt they'll go down - a few favours will be done and that'll be that. I wish them nothing but gravity, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Newcastle lose tonight vs Birmingham then they are in terrible trouble. Bolton look very, very poor and are struggling to get goals.

I have said it a lot: McBride and Bullard are HUGE for Fulham. You have to forget what you have seen of them so far this season to some extent. They are a different team right now to the one that was a laughing stock during November, December and January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sunderland to go down? Yes please.
    Yes please.

I want Sunderland to go down.

I hate them.
    lol, but that's a bit disparaging to real Leeds fans from Ireland tbh.
    gosplan wrote: »
    bah, looking for opinion rather then schadenfreude.
    It's not schadenfreude by me.

I hat what Sunderland represent.
    gosplan wrote: »
    I think it'd be pretty good if Reid, Murphy et al were still playing in the top flight.
    I don't.

Hopefully they are joined by Reading!
    No way.

Reading try to play football, they never park the bus, and are entertaining.

DesF wrote: »
    No way.

Reading try to play football, they never park the bus, and are entertaining.

Good afternoon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/6931068.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I hat what Sunderland represent.

and whats that?

theyre an english football club playing in the english premiership from an english city

just coz they happen to have a fair few paddies on their playing staff, are managed by one and have one as chairman doesnt mean they represent anything different to any other english football team playing in the english premiership from an english city

Unearthly wrote: »
    ffs.

That was against the best team in the league.

They've also been involved in a 6-4, a 7-4 and beaten Liverpool 3-1.

Your one example of them stifling your team is a bit silly tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Of course they will be relegated. They have Andy Reid on their books! Relegated with Forest in 2005. Relegated with Charlton in 2007. Makes his debut in Nov2003 and our fortunes almost immediately turn from just bad to plain muck.

Let's face it, some players are just born under a bad sign and this guy is Jonah (or perhaps the whale?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

The fact is that it is astounding how many Irish people are involved in this club:
    Niall Quinn, Roy Keane, Andy Reid, Liam Miller, Anthony Stokes, Roy O Donovan, Paul McShane, Daryl Murphy, Ian Harte, David Connolly, Graham Kavanagh, Gavin Donohue + the people that actually own the club, Charlie Chawk etc.

I, for one, feel it is actually instinctive to support irish players and managers in their ventures abroad. This has been going on for years, look at Houghton/McGrath etc at Villa.

The reasons most people give for supporting the likes of Man Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal are a hell of a lot weaker than somebody who wants to support sunderland based on the huge irish connection IMO.

I, for one, feel it is actually instinctive to support irish players and managers in their ventures abroad.
    How do you feel about supporting Irish players and managers in their ventures at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

How do you feel about supporting Irish players and managers in their ventures at home?

Here we go again :)

Agree with Bill. I couldnt really care less for Reading other than that I want 2 of our top players and one of our developing players to be playing at the highest level.

shane86 wrote: »
    Here we go again :)
    I'm not going anywhere, if the previous caller wishes to answer the question, so be it, I'll leave it at that.

Don't want to be called a troll for pointing out hypocritical standards though. Oh no.

I'd actually be genuinely interested in the answer though :) And the rationale behind it.

The fact is that it is astounding how many Irish people are involved in this club:
    Niall Quinn, Roy Keane, Andy Reid, Liam Miller, Anthony Stokes, Roy O Donovan, Paul McShane, Daryl Murphy, Ian Harte, David Connolly, Graham Kavanagh, Gavin Donohue + the people that actually own the club, Charlie Chawk etc.

I, for one, feel it is actually instinctive to support irish players and managers in their ventures abroad. This has been going on for years, look at Houghton/McGrath etc at Villa.

The reasons most people give for supporting the likes of Man Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal are a hell of a lot weaker than somebody who wants to support sunderland based on the huge irish connection IMO.

lol Des. Your position on this one is weaksauce to say the least. Your posts can be so bitter at times.

I hope Sunderland stay up because of the massive Irish involvement in the club. I would like to see two of Bolton, Boro, Newcastle, Reading, Wigan, Birmingham join Derby when it is all said and done and for Sunderland and Fulham to stay up (for differing reasons).

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol Des. Your position on this one is weaksauce to say the least. Your posts can be so bitter at times.
    Way to get personal.

Now, do you want to explain that? PM will do if you don't want it to be public.

Or is it just going to be name-calling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

So a genuine love people hold for a club is not as strong as . . . ." well, i'm from Ireland, and they're from Ireland, so i must like them" pfft, nonsense.

In fairness, Des is right, if Bill loves Sunderland cause the of the Irish involvment but is not an EL fan, that is ridiculously hypocritical.

ffs.

That was against the best team in the league.

They've also been involved in a 6-4, a 7-4 and beaten Liverpool 3-1.

Your one example of them stifling your team is a bit silly tbh.

It's not silly at all

You said "never"

You were wrong. Now move on

Way to get personal.

Now, do you want to explain that? PM will do if you don't want it to be public.

Or is it just going to be name-calling?

I critiscised your post(s) not you personally. I said "your posts" are bitter. Not "you" are bitter.

The reason should be fairly obvious. Where your trenchant hatred of Sunderland comes from I have no idea. I find your constant sniping and matyrism for the good of the Eircom league to be comedic. Whether you like it or not, there are a lot of Irish people involved in Sunderland football club. I like to see Irish people succeed in football no matter where they ply their trade or for whom. As such, I don't think Irish people looking out for the results of Sunderland is something that should grind your gears.

The guy makes a good post listing all of the Irish people involved in the club. And you come back with the tired old response. Yes you are the better; more honest; more down and dirty; more honourable; and ultimately more "real" fan because you go to Eircom league divison one games. We get it.

But people can love and support football however they want. And you should let them get on with it.

Unearthly wrote: »
    It's not silly at all

You said "never"

You were wrong. Now move on
    Bravo.

Well done.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yes you are the better; more honest; more down and dirty; more honourable; and ultimately more "real" fan because you go to Eircom league divison one games. We get it.
    Will you please tell me where I ever said these things?

Will you please tell me where I ever said these things?

My basic abillity to read through the lines indicates that deep down, you pride yourself on being a more genuine football supporter than the rest of us chumps. So no, I don't think you have ever blatantly said that. But your posts in relation to the Irish National team (lambasting people who turn up in costume); the premiership (lambasting those who watch super sunday from the pub) and domestic football (lambasting those who don't follow their local club) stink of an elitist mindset.

Feel free to disagree with me of course. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Sunderland are simply on their way to becoming the new Celtic. I despise the stereotype that supports Celtic and I will be the exact same with Sunderland folk.

I also hope they go down because, simply put, they're shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So a genuine love people hold for a club is not as strong as . . . ." well, i'm from Ireland, and they're from Ireland, so i must like them" pfft, nonsense.

In fairness, Des is right, if Bill loves Sunderland cause the of the Irish involvment but is not an EL fan, that is ridiculously hypocritical.

Not really. I like seeing Irish actors doing well abroad. Doesn't make me a hypocrite because I choose not to go down to the Gaiety and see what the locals are up to.

There is a higher standard of quality in the English league. They acquire the best of Irish talent. I think it's perfectly understandable why Irish people would want Irish players abroad to do well.

For those very reasons, and the fact Roy Keane is one of my heroes in the game, I really hope Sunderland survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Frankly I don't care if a team from Drumcondra beats a team from Tallaght, or Derry from Cork or whatever. Thats not my fault, I simply don't care.
    However, if it is a case of an Irishman competing with others from Spain, England, Africa, I'll support the Irishman every time.

As for the deep-seated logic behind it? I guess there is within me somewhere a sense of patriotism and trying to do my country proud. If this manifests itself in speaking a bit of irish and supporting the National sporting teams, then so be it. If we were invaded by Nazis in the morning, i'd probably join the army to defend the country!

I also don't find the Eircom league particularly intruiging or entertaining. The premiership is much more enjoyable to me. Maybe its because of all the coverage/knowledge of players/standard of football etc, but it is actually quite difficult to sit down and watch a full match between two very average teams in the LOI.

I also hope they go down because, simply put, they're shite.

Of course

but if every rubbish team in the prem were to get relegated, you would need about 8 relegation spots

Frankly I don't care if a team from Drumcondra beats a team from Tallaght, or Derry from Cork or whatever. Thats not my fault, I simply don't care.
    However, if it is a case of an Irishman competing with others from Spain, England, Africa, I'll support the Irishman every time.

What if Drogheda played Barcelona in a Champions League? Would you be the model patriot then? If so then how come you can support them in a big game but not do it week in, week out as well as taking an interest in the lads who are abroad? It's a contradiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What if Drogheda played Barcelona in a Champions League? Would you be the model patriot then? If so then how come you can support them in a big game but not do it week in, week out as well as taking an interest in the lads who are abroad? It's a contradiction.

No it's not.

He'd be patriotic and support an Irish team playing a foreign team, but there's no patriotism cheering one Irish team over another.

What if Drogheda played Barcelona in a Champions League? Would you be the model patriot then?
    What if Drogheda played a Swedish team?

What if that Swedish team had a Swedish player who used to play for a Dutch, Scottish, Spanish and English team?

Who to support then?

No it's not.

He'd be patriotic and support an Irish team playing a foreign team, but there's no patriotism cheering one Irish team over another.

There's patriotism in supporting the Irish league week in week out as opposed to a foreign one tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I never said there wasn't, just your example wasn't great.

Fair enough. My point is that we all saw the bandwagon jumpers when Shels played Deportivo. Now we see the same bandwagon jumpers at Sunderland. How come people will go buy Sunderland jerseys, organise trips to games and become followers yet won't pay a few quid to go to see Shels etc? Serious hypocracy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement