Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland going down?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

do you not support Bohs? or are you thinking of going along to Bohs?

last time i checked Bohs were playing in Dalymount Park in Phibsboro, they are due to move Harristown eventually down the line and im sure every Bohs fan will be delighted to travel that arduous journey up the road to their brand spanking new stadium accepting the reality that clubs do and have to move locations in order to move forward.

I've only been the odd time here and there. With regards to Bohs fans being delighted to go to Harristown, I have mates who are supporters and they're far from pleased about making such a trip. In fact the impression I've been given is that they won't be arsed doing so. I certainly wouldn't be.
    if you're a Cabra man and havent developed an attachment to a club yet you'll be delighted to hear that Beggsboro F.C. are on your doorstep with a decent little ground, playing in the LSL and play on Friday nights under the lights :)

Ah I dunno. I'm in Glasnevin now sure. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

The reason I started supporting Sunderland was because:

1) They were at the bottom of the table - I like supporting those who must struggle to do well, it's all too easy to support a team that wins everything e.g. Man Utd., Arsenal, Liverpool, that lot.

2) The Irish connection. I make no apologies for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

1) They were at the bottom of the table - I like supporting those who must struggle to do well, it's all too easy to support a team that wins everything e.g. Man Utd., Arsenal, Liverpool, that lot.

How very noble of you:rolleyes:

Why not support Scunthorpe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I have to admit the Irish connection is part of the reason I follow my team too, makes it much easier to get to matches. And as it happens they were bottom of the league when I started following them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you should meet Des, he'd like you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think theres a bad reason to start following a club. The issue for me is if you continue to follow it for the rest of your life. If people fall out of love with football, fine, but changing club is just not something that is acceptable whatsover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

How very noble of you:rolleyes:

Why not support Scunthorpe?

Because he liked the idea of supporting Sunderland and he just gave reasons why. Who do you support and why?
    I can't understand why people look down on anyone for supporting Sunderland, was it better when everyone jumped on the Chelsea bandwagon or Man Utd or further back Liverpool. I think it's great to see them being supported.
    Who knows, in a few years I could be in the pub having a bit of banter and a laugh while Man Utd play Sunderland, nice change from sitting amongst loads of Arsenal, Chelsea and Pool fans.(nothing wrong with them just would be a change)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

PHB wrote: »
    I don't think theres a bad reason to start following a club. The issue for me is if you continue to follow it for the rest of your life. If people fall out of love with football, fine, but changing club is just not something that is acceptable whatsover.

I 'supported' Manchester United since 7 years of age, caught up in the marketed hype as an easily led child buying all the overpriced jersey/videos whatever, only ever saw the club i 'supported' via a tv screen and then finally copped on to the great scam that 'supporting' a foreign club is when i was 17/18 and started supporting a real club that had a real connection with me and a real Irish club unlike this Sunderland/Oirish horsecrap

there is a big difference between changing (or supporting) a club for bandwagoning purposes and changing a club for the right reasons. there was nothing to change for me as 'supporting' United was nothing more than a lie and an illusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fair enough, I do accept that as pretty solid, but would I be right in saying you'd never support another English club bar United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

told yah PHB all Shels fan are closet man utd fans :p

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

KdjaCL wrote: »
    told yah PHB all Shels fan are closet man utd fans :p

kdjac

:rolleyes: Eh no they're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

PHB wrote: »
    Fair enough, I do accept that as pretty solid, but would I be right in saying you'd never support another English club bar United.
    i'll support Liverpool just to annoy you ;)

even though i dont call my self a United supporter i still have a mega soft spot for them but i like watching Arsenal and Spurs for their great football too. as KdjaCL rightly points out United's style of football is just a close but not quite as good reflection of the brilliance we see at Tolka Park every week so no wonder there is a mutual link between the clubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think it's great how nearly all Sunderland supporters started when they were bottom of the table, I'm sure they were excited at the possibility of playing in league one when they made that decision. :)

I wish people would just come out and say they support X because they were successful when they started following football, and to hell with all this martyr stuff.

astrofool wrote: »

I wish people would just come out and say they support X because they were successful when they started following football, and to hell with all this martyr stuff.

i support sunderland cos Niall Quinn brainwashed me when i went over.

Na Na Na keano keano Na Na Na Na keano keano

:D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

im a man utd fan but i like sunderland because of roy keane obviously :p but not coz he is an old trafford legend...or that he is irish, btu thsat it gives the writers of iKeano new storylines and brillaint changes to the show!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I must admit, I'm no Sunderland supporter but I do look out for their rseults every week. I would imagine the only reason I do this is because of the Irish connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

astrofool wrote: »

If I was to say that I would lie. Arsenal weren't winning a whole lot when I started supporting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

kdjac
    What did you go over for in the first place?
    To see what they hype was about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you should meet Des, he'd like you :D

You mean Des the Man United fan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Yeah sunderland are my no.2 side now in the league, purely because keano is there.

I don't 'support' them, but want to see them do as well as possible and beat everyone they play bar United ;)

If Cantona managed a French side i'd keep an eye on them and hoped they did well...

Legends are a rare breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yep same here. I just look out for the Reading and Sunderland results.

I'm happy to see Keane being succesful.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Quite shocked sunderland are 2-0 atm, first time in awhile they had that kinda record .Glad they are safe tho because amongst all the teams down there they prolly deserved it the most imo.

What did you go over for in the first place?
    To see what they hype was about?

LOL **** no i can see a hype circus a mile away i went to see Pats, St Pats played their reserves in a preseason in jan.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2270355,00.html
    Roy Keane will be asking Sunderland for a minimum of £40m, and preferably £50m, to spend in the transfer market this summer. "The summer is an important period for the club if we are going to go on to the next level," the manager said yesterday.

That meant competing "with the likes of Aston Villa, Blackburn and Spurs", he said. "We need at least £40m to buy four, five or maybe six players to compete at the next level. We need more quality. For us really to compete I would be looking at spending up to £50m on five or six players. I want to sign top, top players."

Good luck with that and get someone else to pick the buys.

Mike.

He has also slated Liam Brady saying that he has no idea wat he is doing in the irish management set-up as the only thing he has to offer is translation services.

lovely Roy. Good man.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt trust keano to go to the shop witha euro to get a pint of milk, who in their right mind is going to give him 50 million :eek:

His targets are gonna be

O Shea, Brown, Scholes, Park and Tom Goon Yung

:d

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He has also slated Liam Brady saying that he has no idea wat he is doing in the irish management set-up as the only thing he has to offer is translation services.

lovely Roy. Good man.
    Link please Mr Alan. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pighead wrote: »
    Link please Mr Alan. Cheers.
    This mornings Metro, I was just wiping my arse with it in the jacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

DesF wrote: »
    This mornings Metro, I was just wiping my arse with it in the jacks.
    Heard you were a Metro Man alright Des.

:D:D

kdjac

• Advertisement

That's me and Mr Alan you've got today.

On fire Pighead. On fire.

He is absolutely spot on with this bit though
    Keano16 wrote:
    ”People think that we have world-class players but we have no world-class players,” he declared.

”We have good players but not world class. Robbie Keane is a very, very talented player but world-class players are the ones that have done it on the biggest stage. And, unfortunately for Robbie, Spurs have not done it on the biggest stage, which is the Champions League.”

He continued: “And how many games has Damien Duff played in the Champions League? I don’t think he would have played many. These Ireland players need to be playing at this level on a regular basis.”

Dirk Kuyt = World Class

;)

tbh des, a lot of wat he says is right a lot of the time.

but he should just learn to ****ing shut his mouth occassionally instead of his ****ing constant commentary about everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

keane wrote:
    I base my judgement on gut feeling , which I do a lot

Would explain his less than good transfer record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Saw an interview with him last night on Setanta and he was saying that he made allot of mistakes this season and is learning from them. Particularly the Everton drubbing.

I think Keano will do very well. But, as has been pointed out, he needs some top class assistance in terms of scouting and choosing players.

Chopra was never and will never be a multi million pound striker. No matter what fools pay for him. Ditto to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

DesF wrote: »
    He is absolutely spot on with this bit though

Then by keano's reckoning, O'Shea is world class since he has appeared in the Champions League 54 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

quad_red wrote: »

Chopra was never and will never be a multi million pound striker. No matter what fools pay for him. Ditto to

Ditto to? :confused: Ditto to Paul McShane? I agree!

He's muck and it's no coincidence Sunderland have looked tighter since he was dropped.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Then by keano's reckoning, O'Shea is world class since he has appeared in the Champions League 54 times.
    Yes, O'Shea is a World Class Squad Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Really don't like keane, but fair play it looks like he will keep them up this season which is all that was expected of him this season, now he will have to build on it. Happy for the local supporters in Sunderland also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

FatherTed wrote: »

What he's saying is that you have to be playing at the top levels to be concidered world calss. That does not mean everyone who plays in the CL is world class. They are 2 different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Djimi Traore anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Djimi Traore anyone?

Again, refer to Stekelly's post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

refer to sarcasm ftw

Advertisement