Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started lawnmower first time - Dark smoke - Cut out after minute

Options
  • 17-03-2008 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

It's only about three years old but dad has been using it and has not looked after it very well. I have serviced it every year.

The was actually no oil in it when I went out to it there so I dunno if dad was using it with very low oil. Anyway I put plenty of oil in. I have not serviced it yet. All I would be doing is changing oil filter, air and change of oil. Take out old petrol etc.

So anyway there was a load of black smoke coming out of the exhaust when I started it and the engine did not sound all that healthy but ran for a minute or so. The dark smoke calmed down but still was coming out a bit and then just stopped after a minute. I did not try to start it again.

Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

When you say the engine is noisy, do you mean a mechanical noise like a knock, or is it just running unevenly? Black smoke is usually a sign the fuel mix is too rich. This can be due either to an electrical or fuel problem. Take out the spark plug and check the electrode, if it is covered in a black sooty deposit then the mix is too rich. Replace the plug with a new one and try again. If that doesn't solve the problem and you say you changed the air filter and if nobody has been tinkering with the carb, then you may have a blocked air jet. If you are anyway useful mechanically, take off the carb, remember to mark the position of the controls on the cables, wash out the carb in petrol then bring it to your local garage and blow it through with the air line. Dont try to clear any blockage with a pin. If however the noise is a knock and the smoke is blue, then a visit to Woodies, B&Q etc is the only option, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

what way was it stored ?was it up on its side then the oil would run up into the air filter or exhaust and you lose it that way .take out the filter and see is it soaked .if it is then change it .otherwise its common for stuff like the black smoke to be coming out after the mower sitting up for the winter but if it was dry of oil then some damage could have been done .just change the filter top up the oil [dont over fill] change the plug or clean the one already in the mower and try that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

+1 for lost marbles advice.

Started mine today for first time since November. It hasnt been serviced in any way for two years but it still started cleanly after about 8 pulls.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

bmaxi wrote: »
    When you say the engine is noisy, do you mean a mechanical noise like a knock, or is it just running unevenly? Black smoke is usually a sign the fuel mix is too rich. This can be due either to an electrical or fuel problem. Take out the spark plug and check the electrode, if it is covered in a black sooty deposit then the mix is too rich. Replace the plug with a new one and try again. If that doesn't solve the problem and you say you changed the air filter and if nobody has been tinkering with the carb, then you may have a blocked air jet. If you are anyway useful mechanically, take off the carb, remember to mark the position of the controls on the cables, wash out the carb in petrol then bring it to your local garage and blow it through with the air line. Dont try to clear any blockage with a pin. If however the noise is a knock and the smoke is blue, then a visit to Woodies, B&Q etc is the only option, I would say.
    what way was it stored ?was it up on its side then the oil would run up into the air filter or exhaust and you lose it that way .take out the filter and see is it soaked .if it is then change it .otherwise its common for stuff like the black smoke to be coming out after the mower sitting up for the winter but if it was dry of oil then some damage could have been done .just change the filter top up the oil [dont over fill] change the plug or clean the one already in the mower and try that .

It started sound then the second time with abit of smoke alright.

When I said not running too well it was running unevenly. It seems not to be running evenly now anymore though.

I might try taking out the carb and cleaning in when I service it anyway...just to give it a right going over.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I might try taking out the carb and cleaning in when I service it anyway...just to give it a right going over.

I'd say that might be a good place to start. Dirt may have made it's way down to the carb over the winter. Change the oil and give it a new spark plug. If it still doesn't start, remove the air filter (replace the cover) and try start it. If it runs then the air filter may be choked.

My mower started today, ran a bit smokey for a few seconds and cut out. I stabbed it to give more petrol and pulled the rip-cord and it ran rough and smokey for a few seconds and then it ran sweetly. I'm dreading starting the 2-stroke gear in a few weeks :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

are you sure you put the oil into the oil tank & not the petrol tank? :rolleyes:

its been done believe me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I've never serviced my 5 year old petrol lawn mower. Is that bad? I check the oil every time and top it up if needed without overfilling but thats where my skills end. Where could I take it? Woodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I usually get a lot of smoke from my 15 year old stiga if I put too much oil in. after the smoke clears it runs fine again.
    There is also a little bowl under the carburettor than can be undone and removed with a small spanner which can be full of water from condensation if the lawnmower hasn't been used for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I changed the air filter on it which was saturated in oil again....I think it was because when it was being cleaned it was tipped on it's side the wrong way. I've Dad warned.

Anyway I haven't changed the oil yet. The nut is a square bolt and I can't find the tool to open it. What's it called and I'll order it?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

A spanner? I'm not trying to be funny but if it's a square bolt you should be able to find an open spanner to fit it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I changed the air filter on it which was saturated in oil again....I think it was because when it was being cleaned it was tipped on it's side the wrong way. I've Dad warned.

Anyway I haven't changed the oil yet. The nut is a square bolt and I can't find the tool to open it. What's it called and I'll order it?

Cheers.

Most likely an Allen key.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Cheers.

Sounds like there might be too much oil in it.

Advertisement