Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy unbreakable glass for my sitting room window

Options
  • 17-03-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

After having my sitting room window smashed in twice since this year (local scumbags are attacking loads of houses in the estate I live in) I was wondering if it is possible to get some type of glass installed in my sitting room instead of normal double glazing that will make it virtually impossible for somebody throwing a large rock (or skateboard) at my window and not breaking it?

Sorry if I am in the wrong forum BTW.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,156 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You will probably get more replies in the DIY forum.

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would get a sheet of polycarbonate fitted in a frame outside the window.
    The good stuff is not cheap but will not crack or shatter from rocks or skateboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

you could talk to a local window supplier about getting the glass toughened. might cost a bit but very hard to break. I tried to break a toughened glass table top with a 3lb hammer to no avail. had to hit it on the edge to cause it to shatter

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SoldOut

Lexan (polycarbonate) is probably the best solution but will also work out to be the most expensive.

I have used 6mm toughened on the outside pane of double glazed units in a local estate here for the same problem and it's worked fine so far, previous to being replaced with 6mm they were being broken every week.

Advertisement