Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Breakdown Assistance - AA vs Normal Insurance

Options
  • 17-03-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an AA cover.

I'm just after renewing my car insurance, and now my premium includes a breakdown assistance cover. Is there a reason why I should keep AA?

thx
    JB.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What does the breakdown cover actually cover? Who provides the cover (AA/RAC/?)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Insurance breakdown cover normally only covers towing to the nearest garage & maybe price of a taxi home. Whatever repairs are needed are charged. It's in their interests as car is more likely to be vandalised if it's left stranded somewhere.

AA will actually try to fix the car at the roadside before towing.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

stevec wrote: »
    Insurance breakdown cover normally only covers towing to the nearest garage & maybe price of a taxi home. Whatever repairs are needed are charged. It's in their interests as car is more likely to be vandalised if it's left stranded somewhere.

AA will actually try to fix the car at the roadside before towing.

My GF is with AXA and has the breakdown assistance with them, a while ago she was having problems with starting her car, they sent one of the breakdown assistance trucks out and the guy spent about half an hour fixing the car, she drove it home.
    She was not charged for this.

Another time there was an inter-mitten electrical problem with the car (It would keep dying while driving) the guy IDed the fault but did not have a part to fix it (Battery lead was fried) so brought it back to the house and told me what needed to be replaced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Automan wrote: »
    My GF is with AXA and has the breakdown assistance with them, a while ago she was having problems with starting her car, they sent one of the breakdown assistance trucks out and the guy spent about half an hour fixing the car, she drove it home.
    She was not charged for this.

Another time there was an inter-mitten electrical problem with the car (It would keep dying while driving) the guy IDed the fault but did not have a part to fix it (Battery lead was fried) so brought it back to the house and told me what needed to be replaced.

Wow, I guess different insurance co's are offering different levels of cover. Must read the details again - I'm actually wondering whether to renew AA or not now:confused: (up this month)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I wouldn't bother with AA if the same service were thrown in with my insurance.

I was with AA a few years back and my car broke down in Blessington (miles from home & work). I called out the AA expecting a nice shiny yellow tow truck with smiling mechanic (like the ads).

What I got was some real rough looking charachter in a battered old tow truck (so signwriting or name on truck), after looking at my car for a few mins told me that my head gasket had gone and that I should get a bus to where I was going and he would tow my car to his "mates" garage to get it repaired.

I asked how much it would cost, what was the garage called and how long would it take?

His reply?............."Just give me your number and someone will phone you in about a week to let you know how much it is and where to collect your car from" :eek:

I kindly declined his valiant offer of assistance and as the engine had cooled down I was able to go on my merry way - I just bought a bottle of water and stopped when the temp got too high.

I will never use AA again after that little encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

they cover 30 mn free help, towing to a garage and they refund transportation

only thing is they say they will help as soon as possible, there is no commitment. I don't know what the company they use is.

Advertisement