Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Router problems

Options
  • 17-03-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hello everyone! Happy paddy's day!

I recently wiped my girlfriends laptop and installed Xp on it, problem is by doing that it wiped the configuration for her internet too.

She has a 2247NWg netopia wireless router and i am trying to set up the connection again to her laptop. I have tried tomanually set it up but it keeps asking for an eircom username and password. Should I be looking for an installation cd to assist the wireless connection or is a manual set up ok?

Any help REALLY APPRECIATED!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If all the instructions that came with the router were followed to the T, then it'll be running WEP encryption. You need this key to connect to the router. If you don't have it, you need to reset the router OR connect the router to the laptop using an ethernet patch lead (looks like a fatter phone cable). This would enable you to change the necessary settings and get things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

ethernet wrote: »
    If all the instructions that came with the router were followed to the T, then it'll be running WEP encryption. You need this key to connect to the router. If you don't have it, you need to reset the router OR connect the router to the laptop using an ethernet patch lead (looks like a fatter phone cable). This would enable you to change the necessary settings and get things going.

Thanks for the reply, it's not the wep needed as i have that saved elsewhere. I plugged the ethernet directly into the laptop and nothing. It makes no cennection at all.?????

What error message do you get? Just no web connection or can you access http://192.168.1.254? Make sure the card is getting its IP address by DHCP. Open Network Connections from the Control Panel. Open the properties for Local Area Connection. Double click TCP/IP and change the radio button to get IP automatically and DNS servers automatically as well. Save, exit. Now try again.

ethernet wrote: »
    What error message do you get? Just no web connection or can you access http://192.168.1.254? Make sure the card is getting its IP address by DHCP. Open Network Connections from the Control Panel. Open the properties for Local Area Connection. Double click TCP/IP and change the radio button to get IP automatically and DNS servers automatically as well. Save, exit. Now try again.

Without the ethernet connection there is no LAN connection at all. The error message is that it won't connect and I should run a diagnostic

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Are you sure that the network drivers are installed/correctly installed after you installed XP?
    Check device manager.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Are you sure that the network drivers are installed/correctly installed after you installed XP?
    Check device manager.

Ok I checked everything, it seems that by wiping it the LAN connection is gone. I rang eircom and according to them I need the netopia cd. I have downloaded the files where you set up a wireless connection but that program ALWAYS freezes!! even when I set up my connection at home ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Did you check device manager to see if your network card is installed?

You don't need any cd to use the ethernet connection. It's plug and play if your network drivers are installed correctly.

Did you check device manager to see if your network card is installed?

You don't need any cd to use the ethernet connection. It's plug and play if your network drivers are installed correctly.

Sorry!! just checked the device manager, in other devices there is the network controller, it's highlighted yellow with the exclamation mark. I really appreciate the help, i'm so annoyed

Sorry!! just checked the device manager, in other devices there is the network controller, it's highlighted yellow with the exclamation mark. I really appreciate the help, i'm so annoyed

Thats your problem. The network card isn't installed.

You need to go to the laptop manufacturers website and download the XP network drivers for your laptop model and install them.

What model laptop is it?

Thats your problem. The network card isn't installed.

You need to go to the laptop manufacturers website and download the XP network drivers for your laptop model and install them.

What model laptop is it?

It's a dell d600, I downloaded the drivers and now it's working through direct connection!!!! Ok all i need to do is configure the wireless connection, any tips? I have the eircom cd :D

• Advertisement

Open Internet Explorer.
    In the address bar type http://192.168.1.254
    In the left menu click 'Wireless'.
    Select 'WPA-PSK' as the encryption method.
    Enter a good long password.
    At the bottom click 'Save & Restart'

When it has finished rebooting disconnect the cable and select the wireless connection.
    Enter the passphrase you created in the 2 boxes and connect.

Open Internet Explorer.
    In the address bar type http://192.168.1.254
    In the left menu click 'Wireless'.
    Select 'WPA-PSK' as the encryption method.
    Enter a good long password.
    At the bottom click 'Save & Restart'

When it has finished rebooting disconnect the cable and select the wireless connection.
    Enter the passphrase you created in the 2 boxes and connect.

Ok it won't work as my smart cardreader drivers are fooked too :( it's an o2 micro, trying to source a download now

thanks again for the help :D

Ok when I go to network connections there is no sign of a wireless connection at all even though it connects through the ethernet.

Please anybody have suggestions??

I take it the laptop actually has a wireless card? :)

Is the wireless switch turned on (if there is one)?

Advertisement