Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris vs Polo

Options
  • 17-03-2008 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is looking at getting a new car, either a polo or a yaris, a 1999-2001 model, not sure yet. anyone have any opinions on which of these are more reliable/safe? or any other suggestions or thoughts on the two? thanks

1999-2001 Polo or Yaris 5 votes

Polo
    0% 0 votes
    Yaris
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yaris is less likely to go wrong I would say. But to be honest, for safety she should look at maybe one step up size wise to golf/corolla. Much more substantial cars in an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

Yaris no contest. polo very troublesome car. gearboxes, timing chains. Yaris will keep more of its worth than the polo too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Whichever she gets tell her to make sure she gets one with power steering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Yaris by a mile. The polo is nothing but trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaris has 4 star safety, and is much more reliable than the Polo. it's also much more likely to have power steering, central locking, electric windows and dual airbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Yaris, no question. Better spec then the Polo (elec windows, central locking,better safety rating), avoid the early Yaris models with no power steering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yaris yaris yaris....

well, the poll speaks for itself here anyway, it's a better looking car too.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Yaris, no question. Better spec then the Polo (elec windows, central locking,better safety rating), avoid the early Yaris models with no power steering.

All the early models didn't go without power steering, just in case there's any confusion:

from the start "Terra" models were available with power steering, elec windows etc.

The "E" model is the one to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

And if she really did want a Polo, then buy the cheaper and nicer Seat Ibiza.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

well i would be one of the minority who would go for the polo. i think that the yaris is a bit grannyish. also try a peugeot 206

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd go for neither. What I'd do is get a Skoda Fabia. The same as a Polo, but much cheaper and more reliable too believe it or not. Avoid 1.2s though(well the 55 bhp variant at the very least, though I'm not sure how much of a difference an extra 10 ponies would make either), I took one onto the South Link the other day and sweet Jesus there's absolutely no power at all. Pressing the accelerator made no difference to how fast I travelled at. Even in town it is ridiculously slow.

Drives well apart from that though, not seat in the pants stuff or anything like it, but pleasant is the best word to describe the driving experience IMO.

Yarises feel really girly, and they've no ride comfort worth mentioning either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

well i would be one of the minority who would go for the polo. i think that the yaris is a bit grannyish. also try a peugeot 206

:rolleyes:

Yaris is a bit 'grannyish' but Polo not exactly a fashion icon. Both pretty pedestrian image-wise. A few girls I know consider the 206 a 'bimbo-mobile' and it's also a rattley pile of crap compared with the Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Get a Yaris (one with power steering), have a 00 myself with over a 100K on the clock and it's never gave me any problems and very good on petrol too.

E92 wrote: »
    I'd go for neither. What I'd do is get a Skoda Fabia. The same as a Polo, but much cheaper and more reliable too believe it or not. Avoid 1.2s though(well the 55 bhp variant at the very least, though I'm not sure how much of a difference an extra 10 ponies would make either), I took one onto the South Link the other day and sweet Jesus there's absolutely no power at all. Pressing the accelerator made no difference to how fast I travelled at. Even in town it is ridiculously slow.

Drives well apart from that though, not seat in the pants stuff or anything like it, but pleasant is the best word to describe the driving experience IMO.

Yarises feel really girly, and they've no ride comfort worth mentioning either.

If you avoid the 1.4 MPI and the 55bhp 1.2, there aren't many Fabias left!
    Only recent models got the HTP 1.2

Advertisement