Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB transfer narative

Options
  • 17-03-2008 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

It annoys me. It really does. Someone can transfer money to my AIB account and put in "to fund terrorism" as the narative on the transfer. What can I do about this comment on my statement? Nothing. Bloody nothing. I rang AIB telephone banking to ask (just a general question) if it's possible to change things like that and they said it's not.

Am I missing something here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Speak to a team leader/supervisor at AIB's call centre - surely there must be some sort of guidelines on what can go into the narrative (Although, it may be too late). If not, let me know: I've been meaning to tell a few companies/people to go **** themselves...
    Do you know the person transferring the money? Ask the person to change the narrative?

On the other hand: lollerskates. My bank account has a dozen "for last night" type messages. I'm not too worried about being done for prostitution. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

lol.

Nothing you can do to change this. The transferor decides the beneficiary name and the reference. You can't change these after he transferred it as it wouldn't match what was on his statement or the system. It would mean having the one transfer with 2 particular details.

The only thing you can do is not accept electronic transfers from people who would do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Somebody get that ****ing thumbs up icon away from next to the quick reply or I'm gonna get medival on the admins!

You're saying to ask the person to change the narrative, this can be done after the transfer has happened and after it's in your account?

no

Right .... really it all boils down to threatening to break the arm of people who think funny narratives are funny or blocking all electronic transferS ?

• Advertisement

no it boils down to getting a sense of humour and getting over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

TBH, I agree - over reaction. Nothing AIB can do about unfunny friends/businesses/enemies with your sort code and account number

Sense of humour? Get over yourself. It's about someone having the power over what's written on a bank statement that various institutions take very seriously when it comes to getting a loan etc.

I'm all for a good joke ... but you should have control over what your bank statement says.

Yes, I should be able to make up transactions and dictate my bank balance. Total control of statements for all!

Who said make up transactions? Not I. I should be simply able to determine the narrative that accompanys the backend information that includes the sender details.

As for dictating my bank balance .. I guess that's another days work. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't think the narrative has all that much impact on your chances of getting a loan.

Also, keep your outbursts in check please.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I wouldn't worry about it. You would not be flagged you as a terrorist over that and there are much worst things which could be written.
    In fact I would look at it in a positive light. At the very worst you will give a bank teller a chuckle and who does not want to bring a little happiness into the world. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

lol never even thought about doing this to someone. Thanks for the tip OP.

No worries .. let's everyone bring confusion to the world of banking !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Thats very funny.

I have seen "Money 4 Crack & Whores" on a mates account before. Was very funny.
    I had to apply to have it changed. Its possible to do, but I bet most bank staff would never have dealt with such requests and would just say its not possible. It is, its just a pain in the arse to do.

I had to fix my mates account. Not sure his wife would have got the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

random wrote: »
    It annoys me. It really does. Someone can transfer money to my AIB account and put in "to fund terrorism" as the narative on the transfer. What can I do about this comment on my statement? Nothing. Bloody nothing. I rang AIB telephone banking to ask (just a general question) if it's possible to change things like that and they said it's not.

Am I missing something here ?

Absoluting Nothing, I have a friend (whom is a Fine Gael Supporter) so the week before, some miscreant tranfered money to her account with the narrative "Vote Fianna Fail"...

A Bank could offer a service to change the narrative of your statement, but they wont, too complicate (legal, not technical).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I don't think the narrative has all that much impact on your chances of getting a loan.

Also, keep your outbursts in check please.

Actually with the current credit crisis. Banks are getting very skittish about items in the bank statement, if someone gave you a small amount with the narrative "Refund on Loans arrears", they would want to know more details.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's really up to the discretion of the person making the transfer. If they have the option to enter a narrative online you have no control over what goes in. If they're lodging at a cashier, and putting a stupid narrative on the lodgement, the cashier should really know better. They can get into a lot of trouble for putting inappropriate references on transactions cos once they've posted at the end of the day there's nothing* (without a LOT of hassle) that can be done about it.

To give an example, a mate of mine (cashier) asked his friend who worked as a cashier in a branch nearby for a loan of é50 for going on the beers that night, so the guy transferred 1c into his account with the narrative 'go f*ck yourself'. Don't know how, but it was discovered somewhere along the lines by the powers that be and the bloke was hauled up in front of a disciplinary comittee and given an official warning! If someone has done an in-branch transfer with an inappropriate narrative you could always ring the branch the lodgement was put through in and complain to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

If naratives on your bank statement are so important to you, why are you giving your account number to people?

A friend of mine had a narative on his account- "penis enlargement refund"

Quite funny as he was in the process of geting a mortgage at the time.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If naratives on your bank statement are so important to you, why are you giving your account number to people?

Class :p

• Advertisement

I give my account number to people so I can get money from them. I don't see why that's so strange.

Its not strange at all, but if you care so much about your narative its not the best idea.

If it bothers you so much you should set up another account like a savings account for people to lodge money into.

I did do this but they still can pick the narrative!

Well whats the problem, just use a savings account for lodgements from your friends, nobody else has to see the account statement..

Its silly if the banks cant edit naratives but cant see how it can cause any harm if its an in-active account that nobody else will see.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

TBH, I'm just stunned that these were actually input by someone in a bank! That's what's worrying! :eek:

They are not, these are online money transfers through 24 hour banking.

I don't want someone else ot be able to determine what goes on my bank statement, or at least i would like to be able to see their sort/account aswell.

When transferring to Rabo you can put whatever you like as narrative but it still shoes the sort and account the transfer came from so you know what's going on.

And if banks see regular transfers to/from another account then will ask to see the statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Toots85 wrote: »
    To give an example, a mate of mine (cashier) asked his friend who worked as a cashier in a branch nearby for a loan of é50 for going on the beers that night, so the guy transferred 1c into his account with the narrative 'go f*ck yourself'. Don't know how, but it was discovered somewhere along the lines by the powers that be and the bloke was hauled up in front of a disciplinary comittee and given an official warning!
    That could well have been due to the fact that he was doing a transfer from his own account. Afaik it is against the banks regulations that employees cannot access their own account.

random wrote: »
    I don't want someone else ot be able to determine what goes on my bank statement, or at least i would like to be able to see their sort/account aswell.

When transferring to Rabo you can put whatever you like as narrative but it still shoes the sort and account the transfer came from so you know what's going on.

And if banks see regular transfers to/from another account then will ask to see the statements.

Well when you transfer the money into your current account, use a narative something like "cash lodgement" in your current account and nobody would know it was transfered from another account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement