Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunflower Oil Cooling!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

A quick search and you will see this topic has been mentioned many times.

The Puget one is mentioned under tweaking and modding.

The limitations are mainly practicality. Oil is obviously a better working fluid than air for transporting heat, but its a bit messier to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I can just imagine the smell

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Its supposed to be odourless?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Depends on the oil.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The best thing is, it doubles up as a deep fat fryer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The best thing is, it doubles up as a deep fat fryer.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1104341

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good grief, seen it all now!

They released a watercooling kit that doubles up as a fish tank... Had to be refreshed everyday with distilled water!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This has been around for the best part of 10 years now. And im thinking about taking up this for the laugh, i just have to wait for 2 more of the girlfriends fishes to die :p

Would like to stick the media centre pc into it and have it somewhere near the tv. Would get a few strange looks from friends and reletives calling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

I've got an old motherboard, cpu, ram and a low profile graphics card, maybe if someone could provide the tank and some of the other componants we could give it a go:)

• Advertisement

I have one and a bubble thingy... but im waiting for someone with a q5500 and 3 way ultra!!!

Just read somewhere:

Remember, Oil is extremely flammable. Should I be worried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Only if you start cooking chips in like the guy above .... its flammable alright but the flashpoint is quite high , in " normal " operation , if you can actually call anthing about this normal , you shouldnt get to those temps.

Id be inclined to go the machine oil route and not the cooking oil route though , first off it will take away the temptation to do snacks in it :D

And second it wont smell so much , and cooking oil will pong a bit after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

i gave away my fishies the last day if someone wants the tank for computer experimentation. comes with fully submersed great pyramid and star wars trooper. but i think i will keep the trooper:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Id be more then happy to take that off you if your in dublin :)

Also, you should use mineral oil not cooking oil :)

Advertisement