Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Loud Neighbours

Options
  • 17-03-2008 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I moved into a place about 5 months ago by myself.However the problem is my next door neighbours-they are loud and i'm starting to reach the end of my tether.If its not loud music then its loud sex.He is a drummer afaik and they regularly have people over for what sounded like band practice.There is no escape from the drumming,Ive knocked on their door a few times to ask them to keep it down,they never answer.There is no set time so it can be 10am or 11pm when they play music.I left a polite note around Christmas just to make them aware that the music was loud,could they please keep it to a reasonable hour etc.This made no difference.The music was blasting a few wks back late and the guards came down,hammered on their door and had a word.It hasn't completely stopped the noise but its a bit better.

I'm a fairly heavy sleeper and it takes a lot to wake me but they have managed to do so whilst having sex.Both of them are screamers/lots of loud bangs.My landlord is aware of how loud they can be but has said there isn't much he can do about it.I'm starting to spend more time out of the house due to the fact i cant just sit in and chill out without them making a racket.I don't want to be a nagging pain but i just want to be able to come home after work and have some peace and quiet.Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

How about getting in touch with the guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭flyingdagger

as mentioned in the original post-the guards dropped in a few weeks back and after a few minutes of door hammering got an answer and had a word.Like i said they weren't as loud for a wk after but its back to the same old story.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

probably not the answer you want to hear but if it was me i'd just find somewhere else to live. you mention a landlord so you're obviously renting. i'd just find somewhere that was less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Keep calling the guards. You'll piss your neighbours off enough soon enough to either shut up or majorly retaliate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What if the OP has a lease though, very likely if they rent on their own
    Can you hand in your notice OP or are you tied to the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

shoppergal wrote: »
    probably not the answer you want to hear but if it was me i'd just find somewhere else to live. you mention a landlord so you're obviously renting. i'd just find somewhere that was less hassle.

+1, move. Theres plenty of liquidity in the rental market now and no need to put up with sh1t like that. Life's too short. Besides, you have tried being reasonable and exhausted the garda avenue. If you want to retaliate, wait until they are asleep and make some noise of your own. ;) A little of their own medicine.
    Childish, but meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 solpadol

go get a court order against them or there landlord. goto dolphin hse on the quays. it takes a few months to get to court but worth the hassle. why should you move when the neighbours are the problem. btw the guards are bleeding useless at dealing with this kinda thing as i know throu experince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭flyingdagger

i signed a 12 month lease when i moved in.To be honest i had no intention of moving-it took me 2 months of solid viewing to find this place,its in the city centre,close to work,loads of space,decent rent and every aspect apart from the neighbours is perfect.The house had been empty for 12 months before i moved in so they seem to be used to be as loud as they like.Been thinking i may just write another letter to them,keep a copy of it and if the noise persists see if anything can be done under noise pollution act-need to get more info tomorrow.Thanks for the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Are they renting or do they own the place? Check the PRTB register for their address for a start. You need to get a complaint to their LL, if they rent.

To be honest, they've been ignoring you until now, what makes you think another letter or note will make any difference? They obviously don't care.

By the way, this is also your landlord's problem, and provides a way out of your lease if it comes to that. Frankly, your LL should care that his tenants are having bother. This could affect his income after all.

Someone has to go. Them or you.

Advertisement