Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scraping unused car

Options
  • 17-03-2008 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been posted recently, couldnt find anything.

I have a 2000 Fiat Punto with busted engine (had 140k on it), which I have just left around the side of the house. Its not worth repairing, and isnt driving at all, so I was wondering how you go about scraping it? Do you pay to scrap it, or will someone pay you something to take it and break it?

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

You have to pay like €50 for them to tow it away for you. Has to be scrapped in an environmentally friendly recycley way, so there's only a handful of officially appointed centres (Authorised Treatment Facilities) who can do it. (End-of-Life Vehicle Bill or something)

I had mine scrapped by Thornton's Recycling, but for the life of me can't remember the several different people I phoned to get it done. I think it was a specifically-appointed towtruck company who charge you €50 to take it to Thorntons, where they scrap it and are paid by the City Council, or something like that.

If you can get it there yourself you don't have to pay the €50, obviously.

As I said, can't remember the full rigmarole, but if you contact Thorntons they'll be able to tell you.

Actually, more I think about it, contact your Fiat dealer and ask them. They'll be able to tell you.

http://www.fiat.ie/cgi-bin/pbrand.dll/FIAT_IRELAND/service/service.jsp?session=no&categoryOID=-1073806568

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Put a post up on www.jumbletown.ie it will be taken before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Buy and sell damaged repairable section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Be sure to transfer ownership properly.

Advertisement