Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to put on a spoiler

Options
  • 17-03-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.. Got a kit for my mk4 golf and just asking does anyone have any ideas how to put it in. It has 2 screw on bolts on the underside bit but how do i find out where to drill the holes? Any ideas cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

My advice if you dont know what your doing get someone to do it that does.
    Could end up costing you more money if you make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did you get instructions or a template?

If you measure the distance between the bolts on the spoiler, this should make deciding where the holes go on the body a bit easier. but as Martin said, maybe leave it to the pros?

That said, if you get the holes wrong they'll be hidden by the spoiler anyway... actually, Martin's right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Line up the spoiler on the car where you want it
    Measure up the holes and work out where to drill
    Drill the holes
    Paint in the holes - you don't want any exposed metal left
    Bolt on the spoiler

It's not a hard job, if you're fairly handy you'll do it easily. If you're not, then take the advice above and get someone else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe make a template from card the shape of the part that the spoiler meets the body. would make marking the holes a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Surprised you didn't get some sort of template. When I fitted a spoiler on my Clio years ago I got two little plastic T shaped bits that fitted in the screw holes of the spoiler. Then it was a simple case of offering up spoiler to the car and then simply taping the plastic bits down and removing the spoiler. A small hole at centre of plastic made it easy to mark your drill marks.
    Example.....
    http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/albums/Misc/template_close_up.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe make a template from card the shape of the part that the spoiler meets the body. would make marking the holes a lot easier.

Ya that sounds like a good idea.. doubt id make a mistake.. think id be well able to do it myself i think im fairly handy at doin stuff:D so il give it a shot.. Cheers for the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The thought of drilling holes in a car makes me cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Yeah , but look on the bright side it WILL go quicker and handle MUCH better because of all that extra downforce!

Advertisement