Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVG v8

• 17-03-2008 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭

Anyone used the new AVG Internet Security V8 yet?

I only see one review on CNET & was wondering if anybody has good or bad to say about it?

I see they are now called AVG Technologies, formerly Grisoft.

Does anyone know if this will sound the end of the AVG free edition or will there be a free version of v8 too?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dunno, but last time i tried Avg didn't support a 64bit OS, has that changed? Been using Avira Antivir for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Dunno, but last time i tried Avg didn't support a 64bit OS, has that changed? Been using Avira Antivir for that reason.

Yep, the new v8 does support 32bit & 64bit but only works for 2000 XP & Vista.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

v8 is not free though.

Does anyone know if this will sound the end of the AVG free edition or will there be a free version of v8 too?

-
    Stephen wrote: »
    v8 is not free though.

No it's not Stephen, that's why I asked earlier if this would sound the end of AVG free.

I recall reading somewhere (Can't remember where) that AVG 7.5 would only be supported until the end of 2008. (Open to correction on that though).

-

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Never used AVG v. 8 either unfortunately so I cant help you there. But I do still find my current 7.5 setup vastly superior to the McAffe or Norton equivalent. Evil ****ing things they are.

• Advertisement

I've always liked AVG, mostly because it was free, but if they bring an end to the free version, for those looking for an alternative, Avira AntiVir is as good as if not better than AVG and is free.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sweet.
    Nicely nicely.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I've always liked AVG, mostly because it was free, but if they bring an end to the free version, for those looking for an alternative, Avira AntiVir is as good as if not better than AVG and is free.

How does Avira compare to Avast?

-

How does Avira compare to Avast?

-

I was never fond Avast, always seemed to be doing something and leaves a big imprint on the memory. Maybe i'm just 2 used to linux with no AV but with Avira, besides the daily scan, You'd hardly know its there. You do get 1 pop-up every day tho reminding you that there is a premium version, but i can live with that.

Edit, I'll let ASJ or Aidan Walsh comment on how good its virus detection is, not had any myself

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If avg do get rid of the free version then I'll probably start using avast or avira.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm familiar with AntiVir, but I haven't used it in around 3 years. Personally, I changed to avast! because I wanted real time scanning which IIRC AntiVir didn't offer at the time. By the sounds of PogMoThoin's comments, it still doesn't.

I like avast because of their separate scanners for file system access, mail access, general network access, chat access, file sharing access, and boot-time scanning. Anything that it has caught has been caught immediately, though not always removed easily - but then hats the nature of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

There isn't a huge difference between AVG/Avast/AntiVir to be honest. All are around the same level.

I personally would recommend AntiVir as it has the best detection rate out of the three. AVG is always solid, while Avast is implementing GMERs anti-rootkit scanner into it's security suite which is rather impressive.

It really comes down to user preference at this level

Advertisement