Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on NCT no-show please !!!

Options
  • 17-03-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm just looking for some advice.... My NCT is booked for 8.30 tomorrow & I don't want to keep the appointment as I think they are only going to give me a 6 month cert. As far as I know, if I managed to delay the appointment until after March [ie. only two more weeks] I'll get a proper and full 2 year NCT cert.

I had meant to cancel/reschedule the appointment last week with the 5 days notice but I forgot :(

Anyone know what the penalty is for missing an appoinment; any ideas on what I can do to avoid wasting the time, effort and expense on getting such a short NCT cert?

P.S. They told me in the NCT office that because my car was first registered in June 2000 [UK incidentally (?)] that I'd only get this short-term cert. But am not sure what way they come up with these dates.....

- All advice appreciated :D

Raiser

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

on a 00 reg car you can only do the NCT 3 months in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kikel wrote: »
    on a 00 reg car you can only do the NCT 3 months in advance.
    Correct. You will need to wait another 3 months. The penalty for missing an appointment is €21 payable at the next appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Correct. You will need to wait another 3 months. The penalty for missing an appointment is €21 payable at the next appointment.

Thanks for the replies folks - think I'll just have to pay the €21 and take a later appointment - its cheaper than 2 X €49 and the additional hassle of taking time off work etc. etc. etc.; my own stupidity for not rescheduling the original appointment......Crap memory as usual.....

One thing though; if a 00 reg car can be NCT'd 3 months early and it was first registered in June then I should get a full cert if I get in done next month [shouldn't I?]

- Anyway, I appreciate the help folks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Raiser wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks - think I'll just have to pay the €21 and take a later appointment - its cheaper than 2 X €49 and the additional hassle of taking time off work etc. etc. etc.; my own stupidity for not rescheduling the original appointment......Crap memory as usual.....

One thing though; if a 00 reg car can be NCT'd 3 months early and it was first registered in June then I should get a full cert if I get in done next month [shouldn't I?]

- Anyway, I appreciate the help folks ;)

You'll only be saving €28 though. The 2x€49 would give you 2 and half years nct, or whatever the diference is (assuming it passes both times). The fine is a lot higher should a Gard decide to do you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are right. If it is registered in June then doing the test in April will get you the full 2+ years cert. I was wrong in my reply earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement