Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA announce Champions League TV rights for the UK

• 17-03-2008 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

UEFA today accepted a bid from BSkyB for the live TV rights to the UK for 2009/10 to 2011/12. The deal is a better one for Sky than the current deal. It gets to show all matches on a Tuesday evening and all (bar the first choice) on a Wednesday evening.

UEFA say it will not announce who gets the first choice Wednesday match yet but its widely expected to go to the BBC. If this happens, ITV will lose their live rights to the competition in its current form for the first time since 1992.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Seems good, hope BBC get the nod over ITV, absolute terrible coverage, ad break 1 minute after coming on air,no build up and no post mtach analysis. Oh and Arsenal never on ITV 1, always ITV 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Things just stay as they are with regards to the rights in Ireland yeah?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Things just stay as they are with regards to the rights in Ireland yeah?

I assume you mean RTE/TV3? Hope RTE keep it, seem to remember tv 3 were ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

ITV are getting the rights to MOTD though, which is why the BBC are so aggressively going after this I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

PHB wrote: »
    ITV are getting the rights to MOTD though, which is why the BBC are so aggressively going after this I think.

You mean ITV are going to ressurrect their dreadful Premiership programme? Will Andy Townsend be back sitting in a Hiace full of computers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Beeb will have no live football outside EC/WC if they don't get CL (or UEFA Cup) I think.

Mike.

:mad:more adverts then :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, well apparently the new ITV owner was mad on it, and BBC just couldn't justify spending that much money on it. The FA have no reason to give it to BBC as ITV is a non-subscriber channel.
    But yeh, shocking coverage again on ITV, i'll barely watch it.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I assume you mean RTE/TV3? Hope RTE keep it, seem to remember tv 3 were ****e.

yup, just that we get both days on RTE. Praying to god TV3 dont get anywhere near it. Looks good for RTE if ITV aren't getting a look in though, ITV and TV3 usually seem to go hand in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I expect the Irish rights will remain as they are with RTÉ and Setanta Irl. Perhaps Setanta will get first choice on one of the nights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ITV are getting the rights to MOTD though

They are? When did this happen?

They are not getting MOTD they are getting rights to show highlights.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

mike65 wrote: »
    The Beeb will have no live football outside EC/WC if they don't get CL (or UEFA Cup) I think.

Mike.

From either next season or 2009/10 BBC will have 10 football league games a year and carling cup games including the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Mike.

Actually I don't think ITV are getting the rights to show premiership highlights.

From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/mar/13/sportsrights.television?gusrc=rss&feed=media
    Although it [BBC] begins from a strong base, with Match of the Day secure for three years and major international tournaments in the bag until 2014, next season it will have no regular live football.

So BBC have obviously lost the rights to England's home internationals and the FA Cup which is a shame. But they will still have MOTD. The other interesting thing from that artiicle is that is says that BBC will probably have to pay an extra £10m to UEFA if it wins the rights to the Champions League as compensation to advertisers like Ford and Mastercard who have been guaranteed advertising time that BBC couldn't deliver.

woooo232 wrote: »
    Actually I don't think ITV are getting the rights to show premiership highlights.

From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/mar/13/sportsrights.television?gusrc=rss&feed=media

So BBC have obviously lost the rights to England's home internationals and the FA Cup which is a shame. But they will still have MOTD. The other interesting thing from that artiicle is that is says that BBC will probably have to pay an extra £10m to UEFA if it wins the rights to the Champions League as compensation to advertisers like Ford and Mastercard who have been guaranteed advertising time that BBC couldn't deliver.

I dunno, i took it from that "and major international tournaments in the bag until 2014" that they would have the england games, and from "no regular live football" they just meant it would be urregular, as in every few months rather then on a week by week basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dunno, i took it from that "and major international tournaments in the bag until 2014" that they would have the england games, and from "no regular live football" they just meant it would be urregular, as in every few months rather then on a week by week basis.

You could well be right. I just assumed that if they had home England internationals that they would list it.

EDIT:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/mar/30/ITV.football1
    Friday March 30 2007
    ITV is to pay £275m to show FA Cup and England home international games, the lion's share of a £425m joint raid with Irish broadcaster Setanta.

The four-year deal, which kicks in from next year, gives ITV England's competitive home games, friendly away fixtures and first pick for FA Cup games.

Setanta will show England home friendlies, under-21 internationals, the Community Shield and FA Trophy.

It will also screen 17 out of the 31 FA Cup games televised each year, with ITV showing the rest. The two broadcasters will share a semi-final each, and both will show the FA Cup final live.

woooo232 wrote: »
    You could well be right. I just assumed that if they had home England internationals that they would list it.

I'm just going as well by the thing we had here, where the national broadcaster had to have the competitive matches live, but the friendlies were all delayed with TV3. I assume the Beeb could use that same clause as their national broadcaster.

Mike.

That is what I meant. When did they get the highlights?

I'm wrong it seems - All hail Motty, Lauro, Gary, Alan, Alan and Adrian. I guess for the BBC the Carling Cup works as well as the FA Cup in TV terms.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I feel bad for the BBC when it comes to their coverage of football. Its funny how in Britain they bitch and moan about the BBC not showing enough football and showing to much football 'wasting licence fee payers money'. I also think its pretty funny the way in that artical that the guy from ITV questions how can the BBC inflate the price of football rights which are already free to air when his organisation did the exact same thing with the FA cup last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ITV hang on to CL rights
    Champions League: ITV will air the first pick of Wednesday night games. Photograph: Luca Bruno/AP

ITV has won the UK live TV rights to the last remaining Uefa Champions League games in a deal thought to be worth around £55m a year.

The deal, which covers the three-year period from 2009 to 2012, is critical for ITV's sports programming portfolio.

Earlier today it emerged that the broadcaster had ditched live Formula One coverage two years before the contract was due to expire, allowing the BBC to take back the rights after a 12-year gap.

ITV was thought to have ditched Formula One partly in order to ensure it had the funds to secure the Champions League deal.

From August next year, ITV will broadcast the first pick of Wednesday night games throughout the tournament, including the final and Uefa Super Cup final.

ITV, which has held Uefa Champions League rights since the tournament's inception in 1992, will broadcast 18 games per season over the course of the new three year deal.

"This is good news for ITV's shareholders, advertisers and of course our viewers," said the ITV executive chairman, Michael Grade.

"I'm thrilled that ITV is now the definitive home for all premium free-to-air football in this country."

Earlier this week Sky scooped the majority of the TV rights to Champions League football until 2012, after tabling a blockbuster bid estimated at more than £240m.

Uefa made the announcement after the broadcaster comprehensively outbid three rivals to secure exclusive rights to all but one match per round of games from the start of the 2009-10 season.

link

Pity.

Mike.

Pity.

Mike.

Certainly for Arsenal supporters anyway

News just in, BBC News 24 carry a story that the beeb was never intending to bid!

Mike.

ITV will show 1 game per week?

Didn't ITV have a stake in Arsenal at some stage?

News just in, BBC News 24 carry a story that the beeb was never intending to bid!
    Mike.
    I find that hard to believe since every media outlet was saying it including 5Live repeatedly over the last month. I suppose they save face by going with that story. Pity they didn't get it I was looking forward to the ad-free broadcasts.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    ITV will show 1 game per week?
    Ya they get first choice on Wednesday evenings. All rest with Sky.

themont85 wrote: »
    Didn't ITV have a stake in Arsenal at some stage?

Yup at one stage Granada ITV had just under 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Yup at one stage Granada ITV had just under 10%.

You not confusing that with Liverpool... or did they have both?

Both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,428 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

spockety wrote: »
    You not confusing that with Liverpool... or did they have both?

Granada owned 9.9% of a few clubs, including Arsenal, United, Liverpool and Leeds I think. I think they might have had a stake in Chelsea at one point too

Shamrok wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe since every media outlet was saying it including 5Live repeatedly over the last month. I suppose they save face by going with that story. Pity they didn't get it I was looking forward to the ad-free broadcasts.

Rumour has it they pulled out in a deal with ITV. ITV were desperate to keep the CL and were told this by their advertisers but couldn't fund it. So they ditched F1 to the BBC who were more than happy to get a 'crown jewel' event complete with the Lewis Hamilton factor at a reduced price but agreed they wouldn't bid for the CL rights then. This keeps the advertisers happy, F1 greater coverage with HD, keeps people from nagging the BBC for paying to much for football and allows the BBC extra cash to compete for events such as the Rugby World Cup.

themont85 wrote: »
    Rumour has it they pulled out in a deal with ITV. ITV were desperate to keep the CL and were told this by their advertisers but couldn't fund it. So they ditched F1 to the BBC who were more than happy to get a 'crown jewel' event complete with the Lewis Hamilton factor at a reduced price but agreed they wouldn't bid for the CL rights then. This keeps the advertisers happy, F1 greater coverage with HD, keeps people from nagging the BBC for paying to much for football and allows the BBC extra cash to compete for events such as the Rugby World Cup.
    Ok. That makes sense. I'm not much of an F1 fan but I see Hammond and the Top Gear boys are supposed to be fronting BBC coverage, so I might watch it a bit.

Advertisement