Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens first child paternity leave

Options
  • 17-03-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Sorry i'm sure this has been put up loads of times but i searched and didn't find anything

My wife and I are expecting our first child in August my wife knows what she is getting from her employer but i haven't a clue and neither does my boss so i'd like to atleast know what i can have just in case he tries to shaft me

What exactly are men entitled to paid(if any) and unpaid

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I'm afraid there is no legal right to paternity leave, sorry. You could talk to your employer about taking parental leave (which is unpaid), or about being flexible with holidays (ie, take 2 weeks hols starting whatever day your wife gives birth), but they are not obliged to accomodate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I think most companies give 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

maybe you should plan to take some leave in Aug

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there should be a company policy, even if it is "no paternal leave" it should be written down somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sorry i'm sure this has been put up loads of times but i searched and didn't find anything

My wife and I are expecting our first child in August my wife knows what she is getting from her employer but i haven't a clue and neither does my boss so i'd like to atleast know what i can have just in case he tries to shaft me

What exactly are men entitled to paid(if any) and unpaid

thanks

None. Great country isn't it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/paternity_leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Try and plan your holiday leave from the day the new mammy comes home.

A company I worked for in London gave a week's paid parental leave. However one of my colleagues arrived back to work without using all the leave. He came back for a rest and a bit of peace and quiet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

My company gives me 5 days, which is brilliant. Best to ask the HR department but I was shocked when I rang Citizens Advice, and I was told I had no legal entitlement. It's disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

You aren't entitled to any legislated paternity leave in Ireland but depending on your contract you may be entitled to something as a private agreement with your company. Can you contact HR or read the small print in your employee handbook/contract?

Advertisement