Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing home the bacon.

• 17-03-2008 9:24pm

Hi all. I don't know if I am posting in the right place or not. Feel free to move. Later on in the summer we will be going to Scotland. I have read so much about Scottish food, cheeses, venison, wild boar, highland beef etc that I would love to bring some home. My question is, how does this rate with Customs etc.??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Here's a summary of the Custom's Regs regarding meat imports:
    Bringing in meat or dairy products
    It is possible to bring in meat or dairy products for personal consumption, subject to certain restrictions.

If you are bringing in these products from the EU or the European Economic Area (EEA), you are allowed to bring in up to 10 kg of meat, milk and meat or milk products for personal consumption. Any of the products that you bring in should have an EU health mark on them. An EU health mark is an oval stamp with:

The initials B, DK, D, EL, E, F, I, L, NL, P or UK on the upper part
    An approval number in the centre
    The initials CEE, EØF, EWG, EOK, EEC or EEG on the lower part.
    Beef of UK origin can be imported if it is sourced from designated XAP (export approved premises) processing establishments and accompanied by the appropriate veterinary health certificate. The packaging should be labelled with the oval mark within which the lettering XAP, the approval number of the premises and the letters UK are clearly displayed.

The above was taken from http://irishabroad.com/Irish-World/Expats/Moving-to-Ireland/Practicalissues/Customsreg/. There may be more up-to-date info on the revenue.ie site.

HillBilly, thanks for that info.:)

Advertisement