Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrappage deals

Options
  • 17-03-2008 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,

Might seem a little bit of an obvious question but does it matter what car you are trading , and how exactly would it work?

I am thinking of buying an 06/07 Opel Astra and if I can use my 95 Toyota Cynos as scrappage?! which now needs an NCT (think a bit of work needed before passing)

Any advice or info greatly appreciated , I dont fancy going into a garage to enquire without knowing anything in case someone tries tp give me the hard sell!!

Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You would probably get same deal for a straight sale eg. 1500 or so off list price then flog car for whatever you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would image any trade-in offer you get for the 95 Cynos would not be much. So in truth the trade-in price you will be allowed on the Cynos would not be as much as a cash discount for buying the new car without a trade-in.

Try and sell the Cynos privately, buy the new car without a trade-in and haggle a decent cash discount off the selling price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

Cheers for the advice,

I'd honestly prefer not to bother with getting the Cynos fixed up to pass the NCT so giving a dealer my car for scrappage would be perfect as long as I was not getting ripped off you know?

I saw this article this morning - €3k scrappage - is it as good/real as it sounds?

http://press.xtvworld.com/article23556.html

Windsor Announces Scrappage Incentive
    Posted on Monday, March 03 @ 11:00:53 CST by xtv_1px.gifsup_inf.gif
    fashion.gifassociate4 writes " As part of a nationwide program, Windsor announced a 3,000 Euros scrappage incentive aimed at encouraging the replacement of older cars with newer vehicles that deliver better fuel efficiency and lower emissions. Buyers are encouraged to scrap older, more polluting cars with the incentive of up to 3,000 Euros off any new or used cars.

Thanks again for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Windsor deal usually means you'll end up driving something you shouldn't want in the first place, like a Tiida or a Note.

See if they'll give you €3k off against a qashqai :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

My mate traded his 94 astra for a qashqui and got 3k off.
    He got some bits on it with the savings like a roofrack,towbar and disc changer.
    But i agree with Colm - scrappage deals are to shift the unshiftable....like the Tiida......... Dreadful yoke them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

Nice one lads, Is the tiida that bad really?

I think Im gonna have a go at getting the car used as scrappage rather than go to the trouble of getting work done on it though

In terms of procedures would I literally drive the car up - sign the docs and drive off in my new car? forgive me if this sounds a bit simpleton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Trapattoni wrote: »

I think Im gonna have a go at getting the car used as scrappage rather than go to the trouble of getting work done on it though

In terms of procedures would I literally drive the car up - sign the docs and drive off in my new car? forgive me if this sounds a bit simpleton!

I don't think the tiida is actually as bad as the bloody styling of the car. Anyways, yes - head down to the showroom in your car - warts and all.
    By the way, just because you are going to get a scrappage deal - still haggle hard.......i never leave a garage without mats, flaps and a tank of fuel. I have also gotten care packs thrown in (nice box of care products etc), a roof rack and once i got a towbar in the deal that usually cost over €650 (it was for a beemer) in a deal for a client as she asked me to come along and haggle for her!

what i'm trying to say is - deals are drying up for car dealerships - haggle hard...........and you'll surprise yourself.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A few years ago I got €2k scrappage on an ex-UK Sierra that was rusted to hell and gone and had a broken timing belt that wasn't worth replacing. The dealer that I bought the new car from came and collected it without cost to me. In my estimation the €2k was much more than the car was actually worth, even with its faults fixed.

ART6 wrote: »
    A few years ago I got €2k scrappage on an ex-UK Sierra that was rusted to hell and gone and had a broken timing belt that wasn't worth replacing. The dealer that I bought the new car from came and collected it without cost to me. In my estimation the €2k was much more than the car was actually worth, even with its faults fixed.

That was €2,000 against the list price of the new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

http://press.xtvworld.com/article23556.html

Windsor Announces Scrappage Incentive
    Posted on Monday, March 03 @ 11:00:53 CST by xtv_1px.gifsup_inf.gif
    fashion.gifassociate4 writes " As part of a nationwide program, Windsor announced a 3,000 Euros scrappage incentive aimed at encouraging the replacement of older cars with newer vehicles that deliver better fuel efficiency and lower emissions. Buyers are encouraged to scrap older, more polluting cars with the incentive of up to 3,000 Euros off any new or used cars.

I could see the last sentence being the catch here - "up to" could mean anything.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That was €2,000 against the list price of the new car?

Yep! Seemed like a good deal to me. Being a Sierra the timing belt pulley was well and truly welded to the crankshaft and wouldn't be budged. If I had got the car repaired it would have cost me an arm and a leg, and then the bodywork was still badly rusted. No way it was worth anything like 2 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Would there not be much interest in the Cynos? They're not the most common of cars being imports, so might be of use to someone. Then again aren't they just glorified Starlets...

Not having an NCT doesn't necessarily make it unsellable. Some people like a challenge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Don't know if they are still doing it but the new boland motors on the dublin road in carlow where doing €2000 scrappage deal.
    Don't know the in's and out's just saw the adverts. They do volvo and mazda.
    Don't want you stuck with a tiida.

sorry fell asleep writing it, maybe it will be a classic in the future!

ART6 wrote: »
    Yep! Seemed like a good deal to me. Being a Sierra the timing belt pulley was well and truly welded to the crankshaft and wouldn't be budged. If I had got the car repaired it would have cost me an arm and a leg, and then the bodywork was still badly rusted. No way it was worth anything like 2 grand.

Chances are you would've got €2,000 off the list price the car you bought anyway.

Chances are you would've got €2,000 off the list price the car you bought anyway.

Unlikely since I already had a good deal on the new car, and if I hadn't gone down the scrappage route I would have had to pay to get rid of the old one.

Just to clarify, the list price is the price you'd see advertised on the window of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

If it doesnt work out with the scrappage send me a PM i might be interested in your Cynos. Had one before, nice little cars. Would be interested but see how things go with the scrappage and let me know.

Just to clarify, the list price is the price you'd see advertised on the window of the car.

Quite. I don't think I have ever paid the price in the window.

Perhaps we're beginning to stray off the point of the originasl post? Interesting conversation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Actually - I've now ended up in the same position as the OP on my wife's car......:( :( ....except it's a much bigger pile of cash.........her 02 Mazda just ran a big end, and the bill is about 5k to fix.........:eek: :eek: Problem is, is the car worth it?

At what point, i.e. how much €€€, do we just take the hit, and write off the car ? - we only have it since last September.........:(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

get a price for a reconditioned or used engine from the likes of IVI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

only advice i can give you is clean the cynos as much as possable because they pay for a full valet ( 135+ ) for the car so if you do that yourself then you get more back also only sell cars on rainy days as it helps to cover scraps/blemish's

also leave the engine idle for 5-10 minutes before entering a dealership and letting him see it as it will bew heated up and start perfect for time ( without many of the issues cars in ireland normally have...

just a trick or two to get your own back on the dealer :)

Advertisement