Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not taxing a car question

Options
  • 17-03-2008 9:55pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

What is the penalty for not taxing your car. Can you get penalty points or just a fine.
    I hope to sell my car in the coming weeks but the tax is two months out and don't want to renew as selling.

Thanks
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can sell the car without tax. Buyer will go to his/her local office and start paying tax from buy date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

a friend of mine has been known to let his tax run out of date for a few months then go down to the friendly gardai and get a stamp to say its been off the road for the last few months due to repairs!
    risky business but you have to hand it to the lad for being thrifty (or tight):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I had a van that was off the road for a year or so, i used to get letters saying that records show no tax was/is being paid on the vehicle and to tax it or they will notify the garda.

they never did come to arrest me:D!

In the uk, if you don't tax your car - after a period they can lift it and crush the thing! I'd say they'll eventually do that here to.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

I don't believe you get points for not having tax. Whether they make you pay the back tax or not I don't know. If your car has a high cc then the savings can be huge by going about it as described above. If you only get a fine of say €100 and your 3.2 litre car is out for 3 months you still save a few bob. would not try it myself though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

landydef wrote: »
    but you have to hand it to the lad for being thrifty (or tight):D
    ....or a sponger! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

€80 fine for no tax. If it's a way out (2 months I think) they can impound the car, charge you impound fees and back tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

R.O.R wrote: »
    (2 months I think) they can impound the car, charge you impound fees and back tax.
    They usually wait for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They usually wait for 3 months.
    Definitely 2 months now. And possibly during 2nd month!

The Garda signature and stamp does not certify your car has been off the road. It merely records the fact that they have witnessed you signing the form to that effect. Just be sure you have no parking or speeding tickets for the period in question!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

if you don't tax it, and then decide to after a few months, you pay for the months you miss, and they add a little extra too.

if you don't tax it, and then decide to after a few months, you pay for the months you miss, and they add a little extra too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So you said! It's 10% of the annual amount per month of arrears.

Not your ornery onager

Sorry, accidental double click on the Post Quick reply button.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Unless you get it signed off the road by your local Gardai.

Advertisement