Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Error loading operating system" message when starting my Dell laptop

• 17-03-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Any ideas as to how to sort this one out?

The problem first occured after I received a blue screen error while running a large (1.5GB) .mov with quicktime.

It won't allow me to boot using safe mode (it doesn't even give me the option)
    I've tried a few diagnostic programs and they all seem to say the drive has an "unknown file system type".

A friend suggested I may have a corrupted registry so i tried the instructions @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
    The problem with this is the recovery console tells me "Access denied" when I enter any of the commands.

Physically the drive seems to be fine, no errors, bad sectors etc.

I wouldn't mind getting this up at running as I've exams in a few weeks & a lot of my notes are on this drive.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

there's a chance the master boot record or the boot sector have been corrupted. These are important for the PC to load the OS. Pop in your Windows CD and load the setup program, where you want to use the recovery console. Once you get access to the hard disk, enter the command "fixboot" to rewrite the boot sector information, and run "fixmbr" to rewrite the master boot record. I've used these numerous times for similar problems (when i've screwed up the system playing with Linux and Grub) and it's worked well for me.

give it a shot and let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Nice one, fixboot sorted it right out :)
    Thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

excellent! i love it when a plan comes together! :D

Advertisement