Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laquer spraying

Options
  • 17-03-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hi can anyone recommend someone to sand & spray a coffee table which i have made , i'm told it needs 3 coats of hard laquer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

I could spray that for you if you're in the Wicklow area... otherwise just ask around smaller manufacturers in your local area. Would need the dimensions etc of the table and ideally a photo to judge the price.

The basic equipment needed can be got quite cheaply, just a small compressor and a basic spraygun.

Cheers
    Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kevqcs

thanks joe its ecualyptus , about 5ft x2ft its fairly rough and would need a good sanding , can ya give me a rough idea of prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Just my tuppence worth but I've been down the road of amateur spraying.
    I lashed out a few hundred stg on an Apollo HPV sprayer a few years ago but have to say I could never get good results--usually 'orange peel' and sheer hassle just getting the thing to work, with clean up afterwards.
    I note all the professional shops have high pressure spray equipment with proper extraction and drying-- if you can find someone go for it.
    For smaller once off items ( like your coffee table ) I use the Chestnut range of lacquer cans, made in the U.K.
    They come in all varities, acrylic and cellulose sanding sealer spray followed by matt or satin lacquer.An Ebonising spray is available for black finishing.
    One tip is to soak the can in hot water before using and you get a deeper, richer finish.

cheers.

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you.

The price would depend on a few things...

Are there elaborately turned legs or are the legs quite simple and square?
    Would you be able to deliver and collect the table from my workshop in Roundwood or do I have to travel far to collect it?

Other than that it depends on how much sanding is required... I would say that the sanding shouldn't be too hard.. by using a random orbital sander and working through the grits a flat table top should be able to be sanded fairly quickly. Obviously a large pad sander would be nice but the orbital sander does the trick.

Recipio is right that spraying can be difficult but it shouldn't be too hard, even with cheap equipment. Although I have HVLP equipment I will first turn to a cheap spraygun which gives excellent results. I have ceramic type dryers (4 x 1,500W) which aren't just used for drying... it is also important that the material to be sprayed is warm, also the liquid lacquer should be warm and in general the air temp. should be well above freezing, not sure of minimum recommended temp.

Finally, although I also have a air dryer (i.e similar to a fridge in some respects)... again I often use disposable air dryers, these simply attach to the airline just before the gun and force the air into a little tornado which throws any air borne water or oil to the outsides where it is absorbed by a spongey material... these are from Axminster, quite cheap at appox 2.50 Euro each and they can last a long time, maybe 20 hours of spraying or so.

The table would cost maybe 60 to 110 depending... I would be using either pre-cat lacquer or two pack AC lacquers depending on your preference. 40% sheen level, although I have some 5% and 20% sheen which you may prefer.

Cheers
    Joe

Just to add to Recipio msg, I agree that using the HVLP equipment can be awkward in that it does require setting up and cleaning..

It is handy in that it gets the lacquer using a tube which is placed directly into the big tin of lacquer, this is ok for single pack pre-cat lacquers but if using two pack lacquers then you may need to mix up a lot...

I would definitely recommend the purchase of a cheap spray gun and disposable air dryers from Axminsters for anyone getting into spraying, spraygun = AS1040, about 30 Euro or so. Then all you need is a small compressor which will allow a minutes spraying or so at a time (then 30 secs to a minute to recharge), you'd need a large compressor for continous spraying (i.e 3HP minimum with a 100 or 150 liter tank). All compressors, even the small ones, will produce high enough pressures for spraying.

• Advertisement

Good info on all types of wood finishing here...

http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish11.shtml

Russ wrote:
    Equipment For Spraying
    Don't write-off a sprayed lacquer finish because you have been led to believe that large and expensive equipment is required. Nothing can be farther from the truth. A good brush costs more than a good spray gun. A "best buy" is the siphon-type detail gun that is available from Harbor Freight retail stores for something like $15.00. The same thing will cost twice that from Home Depot or Lowe's. A compressor rated at 4CFM at 100PSI can support spraying our turned wood. That is not a large compressor. I do use an in-line air filter, but use neither a water-separator nor an air-dryer. My approach to spraying lacquer is that if water condensation is a problem, the atmospheric conditions are wrong, and I shouldn't be doing it anyway.

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you.

The price would depend on a few things...

Are there elaborately turned legs or are the legs quite simple and square?
    Would you be able to deliver and collect the table from my workshop in Roundwood or do I have to travel far to collect it?

Other than that it depends on how much sanding is required... I would say that the sanding shouldn't be too hard.. by using a random orbital sander and working through the grits a flat table top should be able to be sanded fairly quickly. Obviously a large pad sander would be nice but the orbital sander does the trick.

Recipio is right that spraying can be difficult but it shouldn't be too hard, even with cheap equipment. Although I have HVLP equipment I will first turn to a cheap spraygun which gives excellent results. I have ceramic type dryers (4 x 1,500W) which aren't just used for drying... it is also important that the material to be sprayed is warm, also the liquid lacquer should be warm and in general the air temp. should be well above freezing, not sure of minimum recommended temp.

Finally, although I also have a air dryer (i.e similar to a fridge in some respects)... again I often use disposable air dryers, these simply attach to the airline just before the gun and force the air into a little tornado which throws any air borne water or oil to the outsides where it is absorbed by a spongey material... these are from Axminster, quite cheap at appox 2.50 Euro each and they can last a long time, maybe 20 hours of spraying or so.

The table would cost maybe 60 to 110 depending... I would be using either pre-cat lacquer or two pack AC lacquers depending on your preference. 40% sheen level, although I have some 5% and 20% sheen which you may prefer.

Cheers
    Joe
    thanks joe can you collect in maynooth,

kevqcs wrote: »
    thanks joe can you collect in maynooth,
    the legs are square and the overall height is 400mm thetop is 5ftx2ft(roughly) its uneven and theres a split or shake in it or maybe its pith,
    it wll be nice whe its done, if you can quote me on pick up and spray
    pm me your number
    many thanks kevin

Advertisement