Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update the Wiki?

Options
  • 17-03-2008 10:40pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I was having some downtime this evening and had a look at the Biki page for UCD:

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Board:UCD

Funny how times change! Should we go at updating it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Oh lordy!

It's sooooo old.

Godo times though.

Disabled bathroom sex.... ah the memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Scary how short a time its been since that was written and so much has changed.

I think it's fair to say there's been a fairly large expansion in the number of users yet a drop in the number of dedicated posters. I think this is the reason for some posters saying that the sense of community has all but vanished.

I wasn't an active poster then, and am still not particularly active, but it sure is a different place now than it was then.

It'd definitely changed so much since that was written and that was only two years ago.

It's sad but the place has become more an information destination as a cog in the gigantic bureaucratic wheel that is UCD rather than the community thing that we previously had.

In a way it was inevitable that the change would have occurred as I don't think the previous way was really sustainable (we were all a bit spammy), but we have lost the community thing form what we had prior to this.

Oh and loads of the 'current posters' in that thing have now graduated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I'd forgotten all about my own wiki entry (even though I didn't write it)

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Tribulus lol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

At the height of it all there were beers' every week or so for a while, think it was at the end of the '05 academic year. :)

• Advertisement

Indeed.

We've had lots of talk of it of late.

Maybe it's a time for a boards revival - update the wiki and organise a beers, which, to suit the failure of previous events begins in the ucd student bar and can then continue on to the the porterhouse as per previous choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

one rather drunked pub conversation revolved around using the S-domain model of the bus timetable
    Thats freaking brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I've only 5 weeks ever of college left thankfully and have 3 lectures a week for the last term so whenever suits me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Red Alert wrote: »
    At the height of it all there were beers' every week or so for a while, think it was at the end of the '05 academic year. :)
    *high-five*
    Yeah those were halcyon days alright. Fantastic beering would occur on an extraordinarily regular basis given that none of us knew eachother at all prior to that first booze-up in the student bar. We started out with about 4 regular drinkers and in the space of a few weeks/months that snowballed into 20+ boardsies every time we had a beers.:D

And without us, look what has happened...

Truly we were a driving force that will never be emulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Disabled bathroom sex.... ah the memories...
    How did I miss that?! I was in UCD, I was on Boards... Damn it! :mad:

• Advertisement

You were a little young for that conversation, that was for the grown ups :p

Don't worry you can always check the archive.

I miss the spam days or yore. Well a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

sebthebum wrote:

I blame Hugh Brady and modularisation. Not really. You all know who I blame :p

Grimes wrote: »
    I blame Hugh Brady and modularisation. Not really. You all know who I blame :p

Way to make me feel SO damn self concious Grimes, as if i didn't feel bad enough about it already :D

I blame Hugh Brady and modularisation.

Tut tut, It's my job to blame modularisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

you lack an antihero like me to focus your hatred on collectively. i was the only thing holding this place together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

You were a little young for that conversation, that was for the grown ups :p
    I'm ONE year behind you! :eek: :p

And that my friend, is all the difference. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

*high-five*
    Yeah those were halcyon days alright. Fantastic beering would occur on an extraordinarily regular basis given that none of us knew eachother at all prior to that first booze-up in the student bar. We started out with about 4 regular drinkers and in the space of a few weeks/months that snowballed into 20+ boardsies every time we had a beers.:D

Truly we were a driving force that will never be emulated.

Sure college life, and the extra curricular fun died at the end of 2004/2005. 2005/2006 was the first experiences of a dying college life, with 2006/2007 (which i was not often around for) virtually dead.

Remember the days when The Return of Fees, Coca Cola, Hugh Brady's Gym, McDowell protests, Labour Week, Barretgate,Dave Murphy, Lake 2 and the two bars crammed at the end of teem, were the order of the day. A good protest was always planned, The Observer and The Tribune were worth a read (not saying much). We had sooooo much to talk about.

Nowdays, the UCD Veterans say its dead. Long live the pre 2005/2006 days !!!

I still have lots of fun in college doing society stuff. Then again all the fun I have usually dosnt end with "getting bollocksed at or drinking down by or man wana smoke this ". Thats the kind of fun modularisation and in particular Librocop dosnt approve of

Sometimes it is much more fun to flip the thread order so the old ones come up first!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Sometimes it is much more fun to flip the thread order so the old ones come up first!

Is that something us common folk can use aswell?

It's down the bottom of the page ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I blame ye people. I'd elaborate but you know it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's down the bottom of the page ;)

What a surprise, the first thread is about Pat Patterson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

My first post was thread 94 :)

Heh, I was at that very first UCD Boards Beers in the Sports Bar on the 22nd of September 2004. Meself, Dataisgod, planck2, OfflerCrocGod, rainbowkirby and other ppl I can't quite recall. Seems like f**king ages ago, which in a sense I suppose it is really.

Also @ Hetfield: I dunno what the hell you're on about mate, you were never a part of the UCD Boards lot and I don't remember you at a single beers. So shut it.:p

I think Het Field is saying how boring UCD is in general. Actually its more fun than ever, its just the names are different but its still a blast.

I concur, I know I'm meant ot be all super studious and totally concentrating as it's final year, or maybe i'm just better at time management this year but I've had more on my plate than ever this year and still managed to have one of the best years ever.

Some many good people and good fun to be had. If you know where to look.

I think Het Field is saying how boring UCD is in general. Actually its more fun than ever, its just the names are different but its still a blast.
    Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at too. Ya see what we (as in myself and Red Alert) miss is the cameraderie of the Boards crew, which appears to have vanished, but in terms of the social side of UCD in general I have few complaints. In fact it's probably helped in that I have less of a distraction now than I did those years we had a buzz on this forum; I got involved wit the Tribune and moreso with BFM this year than in previous years... Not too shabby like.

• Advertisement

Yeah the comeraderie of the forum is with O'Reilly tbh. The forum never replaced the hardcore prolific posters that graduated or moved on. Shame cause the beers were good crack.

Advertisement