Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IP address failing

• 17-03-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

This is driving me around the bend! Basically I cant get onto xbox live at all anymore cause my IP address keeps failing. I spent the best part of 3 hours last night trying to fix it.

I found one solution was to power cycle my router by plugging it out for 10 seconds and plugging it back in.

Tonight I turned on the xbox same thing happened so I though hmm power cycle it again and it should work but no joy!

Is there anyway I can manually set the IP address etc etc so it works properly.. I dont have a clue when it comes to this stuff ip address gateways etc etc..

ISP is NTL and it goes

Modem>Netgear router>Ethernet cable to my pc and then one to my 360..

btw I just moved house and I never had this problem before.. Its only started happening since I moved!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I dont think that NTL will supply you with a manually set IP address. AFAIK they use DHCP to dynamically assign an IP address and lease for your computer.
    I am not sure if static addressing is required for a 360 in any case. I have never tried it online myself but I would assume that it should work with automatically detecting settings.
    However. If it is an issue you could always use your router to assign a private address to your xbox. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like this is already the case. Perhaps you should just plug the xbox directly into the modem, cut out the router. See where that gets you.
    Take down the IP address. I think it should be an 83. or 89. for NTL. Then try it with the router. is it a 10. ip address or a 169. ip address? I am sure this is fairly easily fixable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Tried it with just the modem and no luck. On the xbox when I go to edit settings the ip address starts with 169.254.72.96

If the IP address starts with a 169 range, that means that the IP address is in an error state. It is not possible to connect to the net with a 169 range address, it always means there is a fault somewhere along the line.
    Now one thing I do remember from my time with NTL / Chorus modems is that frequently, they will tie the lease to your MAC address. IE the permanent address of your computer. This address is normally 12 digit hexadecimal, and you should be able to see it from running cmd then typing ipconfig /all.
    Is the PC getting this same 169 range IP address when you cable it directly to the modem for example?
    Are there any lights that look different on the modem than they normally do?
    Now in the event that NTL have in fact tied the lease to the one MAC and are not allowing another MAC address to connect through the lease, you will have to release the lease for about 10 to 15 minutes, until another user in your area picks up this lease.
    So shut off the modem for a wee while, completely unplug it.
    Then restart it plugged to the 360 directly and see if you are still getting that 169 range address.
    **** man I cant help much not having much knowledge of how an Xbox connects to the net and if there are any console troubleshooting tips you can do. I'll see if I can google something for ya.

EDIT: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/consumerelectronicsnetworks/a/xbox_360_shoot.htm

When I run that all the ip addresses start with 89. So I presume thats fine?

Ill turn off the modem now and try what you said! Thanks so far!

89 thats good stuff, can connect with that. Now you might want to run through that troubleshooting site I linked to in that last post, just so you can run a few checks yourself when / if it gets the dreaded 169 and fails to connect.

• Advertisement

89 thats good stuff, can connect with that. Now you might want to run through that troubleshooting site I linked to in that last post, just so you can run a few checks yourself when / if it gets the dreaded 169 and fails to connect.

Well the modem trick didnt work :mad:

Im really lost now.. this is what came up in the ipconfig all! If its any use to you!

C:\Users\daz>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : daz-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : chello.ie

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : chello.ie
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-CB-C1-5E
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::20d6:bb06:f841:4bbc%9(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 89.101.107.212(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 17 March 2008 17:15:06
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 March 2008 13:21:47
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 89.101.107.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 89.101.96.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234888844
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 89.101.160.5
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-CB-BB-57
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{A075D178-42A5-4538-981A-9C697628B
    84D}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e66:181d:25bb:a69a:942b(Pref
    erred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::181d:25bb:a69a:942b%10(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:5965:6bd4::5965:6bd4(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.chello.ie
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::200:5efe:89.101.107.212%12(Preferre
    d)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Users\daz>

Thats IPCONFIG from the PC right? But the PC is already working.
    So we know that the issue is with the Xbox 360.
    Have you gone through the link to troubleshooting that I put in the post above?
    We can take it that the modem is capable of connecting.
    you just have to troubleshoot the 360 until we get the 89 range IP address on there.
    I know its pull your hair out stuff, but just get a couple of troubleshooters off google, ro try the one above and meticulously work your way through it, sure we can sort something out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Think of the Xbox as another PC....it also needs to know what its default gateway, DNS server is etc....try entering these settings manually on the XBOX.
    Are you sure that the firewall on your router is not preventing access to Xbox Live also?.

Oh thank God for Feelgood. Its like the blind leading the blind in here. I have never had an issue with Xbox live as I have never used it!

I managed to get it last night.. I think after I reset the whole modem itself.. If I do manage to get it tonight or tomorrow.. should I keep the settings the xbox has if it starts with 89.?

Im going through the link and other links with that now trying to find something its fairly annoying!

• Advertisement

I got it and I dont have a clue how lol but ive taken down the settings and pinned them up on my noticeboard. If it screws up again I can use those settings?

Well that depends. If they are static settings then these are subject to change continuously. For example, if you statically put in an 89 range IP address, your lease will run out for that eventually, whereas its a case of you have set it to "automatically detect settings" then everything will be fine.

Well that depends. If they are static settings then these are subject to change continuously. For example, if you statically put in an 89 range IP address, your lease will run out for that eventually, whereas its a case of you have set it to "automatically detect settings" then everything will be fine.

No its gone again and the settings I took down dont work :mad: Any ideas? Thanks for all the help anywaY!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Hi Daz,

You're router isn't doing its job. Basically what you want is your NTL modem to have the 89.x.x.x etc IP address. You're router connects to the modem, and acts as the gateway for both the Xbox and PC to get online. What you need to do, is setup you're router as a DHCP server, and provide your PC and XBOX with 192.168.1.XXX addresses. Each of which will then in turn use the Router as their gateway for getting onto the internet.

ondafly wrote: »
    What you need to do, is setup you're router as a DHCP server, and provide your PC and XBOX with 192.168.1.XXX addresses. Each of which will then in turn use the Router as their gateway for getting onto the internet.

Any idea on how to do that? Is there like an ip I can get for my router so I can change settings?

Its a netgear FS605 v3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

dazftw wrote: »
    Its a netgear FS605 v3
    That's not a router, it's a switch...

Edit: To add more meat to the post. Switches direct packets between computers on the same network/subnet. Routers connect different networks/subnets and vlans. Since you have two networks here (NTL and your PC/XBOX network), a switch wont' work. You need a router.

irlrobins wrote: »
    That's not a router, it's a switch...

Edit: To add more meat to the post. Switches direct packets between computers on the same network/subnet. Routers connect different networks/subnets and vlans. Since you have two networks here (NTL and your PC/XBOX network), a switch wont' work. You need a router.

but its been working since september only since I moved house has it stopped working.

Dont feel like spending money on a router I cant afford at the moment.. but what would I be looking at?

Cable directly from the NTL modem to the PC / PS3 and swap cables / power cycle modem each time you want to swap from PS3 to PC is the only handy way without buying a router.

You mean xbox? I think I would rather invest in a modem.. I always had both going before! Oh well time to spend more money that I shouldnt be spending!

Wahey this thread got thread of the day lol

Thread of the day?
    I thought they killed that.
    Feckin thred of the day. grrr
    Must a been because my hapless attempts to help u! Oh well. At least I tried
    :D

• Advertisement

You did my friend thanks for that!

Maybe the router is my only proper solution.. Its a new modem from the last from NTL so thats whats probably screwing it up! Oh well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Hey OP,

I've the same setup as you. NTL etc, xbox and all that.

You know you can change the router settings yourself by accessing the router webpage on your computer, go to you explorer and type the ip of the router in the address bar, e.g. 89.101.96.1.

When you access the router page, you can decide whether to give your xbox and pc static or random ip addresses. This is done by disabling the DCHP server in the router and manually assigning ip address to everything that connects to the router. For example, the router has 89.101.96.1, your pc could then have 89.101.92.101, and your xbox could have 89.101.92.102.

When you plug out your router and plug it in again your not really doing anything. If need be, you can reset your router completely and then set up the security yourself, for example if you reset your router, you need to immediatley set up a a password so that only you can access your router page again. You can then assign a MAC filter to your router, allowing only the things you ant to connect to the router etc.

I must say im much more familiar with wireless routers, but i hope this is some help.

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I must say im much more familiar with wireless routers, but i hope this is some help.
    Not really, as the OP has a switch and not a router. There's no way for the user to configure this switch. It's a "dumb" device.

Oh wait, you don't have a router but a hub? ok sorry dude nevermind....buy a router, preferably a wireless one, buy a wireless connector for your xbox, then you can setup anywhere in the house. your talking about 150 euros, but believe me, you'll never look back! :)

OK, what about the option to share the pc's internet connection with the xbox, i know its a pain but it works. Does your pc have two ethernet connections?

Yea it does but I tried it and I couldnt get anything out of it?

Ill most likely just buy the router I just found one here and it doesnt look to bad? Ive no need for wireless really.. Well I suppose my brother could use it on his laptop..

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=323060

or this cheaper wireless one

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306987

Go wireless. You might not need it now, but you might later. Plus it's cheaper. Netgear are pretty reliable.

Edit: sorry didn't realise you put up a wireless one. If you get a wireless one, you can still connect your xbox through the ethernet, with the option to go wireless anytime, providing your xbox has the wireless adapter, which you need to buy!

In the meantime, if you want to start gaming and don't want to wait another week. Try and get your pc/xbox connection working, possibly If you've two ethernet ports, (but preferably if your modem has a USB port) then you need to enable Windows ICS on your pc, connect the pc to the ntl modem (with a USB cable if you can!), connect the ethernet cable on your xbox to the other slot at the back of the pc and hey presto! (p.s. this is and incredible simplified description but its not that difficult)

So basically, what happens is that you pc acts (vaguely) like a router in that it shares its connection with your xbox, so as far as the ntl modem is concerned, theres still only one connection to the internet. Does this make sense?

check up here for more details...

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/windowsics.htm

Good news! When we got the NTL in we never got the wireless router and they came back today and gave me a brand new Router! The one I was going to but! Set her up and xbox worked perfect and got a 192. ip address!

Woo :D

• Advertisement

nice one!

Advertisement