Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats better than Cool Edit Pro 2.1, but just as user friendly

Options
  • 17-03-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I use CEP 2.1
    ive a bad pc. its a dell 4300 with a p4 running 1.6g and 512 ram running at a crap 133mhz.

anyways, the machine will handle CEP no problem, im just tired of using the same programme. ive tried some others but find myself going back to cep.

the newest one ive tried is NTrack Studio.

anyway, anybody have any suggestions on what would be better?

i mean, if i got myself a mac g3/g4 are there any good programmes that i could use other than that garage band crap?

if your gonna say pro-tools, please explain because i really dont want to go fecking around with the original sound of the music. just doesnt interest me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I use CEP 2.1
    ive a bad pc. its a dell 4300 with a p4 running 1.6g and 512 ram running at a crap 133mhz.

anyways, the machine will handle CEP no problem, im just tired of using the same programme. ive tried some others but find myself going back to cep.

the newest one ive tried is NTrack Studio.

anyway, anybody have any suggestions on what would be better?

i mean, if i got myself a mac g3/g4 are there any good programmes that i could use other than that garage band crap?

if your gonna say pro-tools, please explain because i really dont want to go fecking around with the original sound of the music. just doesnt interest me.

Have you tried Adobe Audition? Its the follow on from Cool Edit Pro and should run on your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

was looking at it, but its a rather large download, and i dont have the limit here to be downloading such large files like. but yeah ill try downloading it when i get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Audacity is free and whle not as powerful as CEP it can handle most editing . If you need multitrack editing you'll find it difficult to replace Cool edit/audition without spending big bucks.

Peak is a vailable for the MAC, It very nice and has some very useful features that CEP doesn't , for instace it allows you edit tracks in multitrack view and doesn't alter the original sample.

ok, what kinda specs mac would be needed for that?
    sounds good like, just that i find cool edit to be jumpy and choppy sometimes, regardless of ram and processor, its just a tad unstable. like ive lost a load of work before because of the programme. also, it doesnt have an autosave feature. you have to manually input each individual tracks save namen, and even then the programme gets mixed up.

feck it, i think i need a mac!

would an old g3 or imac do i wonder?

like id have 8 racks max per song anyways, so it wouldnt be maxing out the ram too much like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

What makes you think it's a mac you need?

• Advertisement

hehe, ahh no, im just thinking it might be less fuss with a mac.
    Ive used the new e-macs, a g4 and imac at work, and i realise the lack of good software for mac and that, but im thinking id like a machine solely for recording and somehing that works fast and doesnt ask fifty questions a minute, i have my good old pc for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I recorded stuff that got radio play on a P3 550 on the free cubase with 128ram. When you really have to do it audio can genuinely be done on low end computers and it shouldn't automatically be causing the problems you're getting. It's not as much fun but it can be done.

You should try Reaper. I've used it alot now and I love it. Very stable, good plug ins included and won't bust that low download limit you have. I highly recommend it. http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

thanks! just downloaded that there. ill try it out later so.

thanks for your help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

soundforge is the business. Its got the fastest load time of any wave editor i know, and the best funcionality too, i'd go for that if i were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

im just tired of using the same programme.
    If it does everything you want it to do why would you change? Have you come across limitations that you feel might be better addressed with another package?

• Advertisement
Advertisement