Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need BBC Radio 4!

• 17-03-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Actually, let me start by saying I already have BBC Radio 4 via ntl cable, the interweb and podcasts. And it's great! I love Radio 4! I mostly listen via cable (the stereos in the kitchen and bedroom are connected to cable).

The problem is that our ntl cable signal for TV (I'm in Kimmage) is getting worse and worse (BBC2 is sometimes almost unwatchable) so we're thinking of switching to digital (ntl or Sky, though from reports of dire service from ntl digital we're leaning towards Sky). This raises the big question for me: how will I get my regular fix of Radio 4.

I've never had digital TV but my understanding is that though I may be able to receive BBC Radio 4 FM on the signal, it wouldn't be possible, for instance, for me to be listening to Radio 4 in the kitchen while himself is watching a programme in the living room. Maybe someone can clarify this for me? Even the Sky people didn't seem too clear on this one.

Ok I'll still have my podcasts, but that's fine for a Radio 4 fix on the move but not the same as listening to live radio. And I can listen on 198 LW. But pretty much anything will interfer with the LW signal and don't get me started on cricket season when LW is devoted 100% to test match special (I'm not a cricket fan). And the interweb is a no-go for regular listening as the husband is a commited gamer and is often on-line gaming so I (and Radio 4) would be banished from the connection for fear of hogging his bandwidth. *sigh*

Which leaves me still searching for a way to get Radio 4. There is one other option, but I'm not sure if it would work or how to implement it. Yonks ago we got a satelite dish and receiver from Lidl (cheap and cheerful), through which we were able to receive Radio 4 (among other free-to-air BBC channels). Would it be possible to connect a low-power FM transmitter to the receiver and broadcast the Radio 4 signal through the house? If so how would that be done and what equipment would I need (and where would I get it?)? Any suggestions gratefully received.

c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

You could get one of those wifi internet radio things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Internet radio is great and does not steal much bandwith (BBC Radio 4 64 kpbs max) but it should be possible to get a cheap second reciever box for a Sky disk that can be used as a hub source. The satillite mags used to carry ads for various distributor gizmos so I'd buy a few and check the back pages.

Would this work?
    http://www.beststuff.co.uk/slx_dg204f.htm

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Hmm. Thanks for those suggestions. Deffo worth considering but neither would get around the issue of having Radio 4 around the house (without considerable wiring ... which I suppose I already have to get cable to each radio).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My understanding is that if you get NTL digital you will still have your
    NTL analog; you will be able to continue listening to BBC radio 4 as you
    currently are. The NTL cable carries both the analog and digital signal;
    all you are doing is adding a NTL box to decode the digital signal.

You will also be able to listen to BBC radio on the NTL set-top box by
    selecting it as a station on the set-top box and using the box's tuner
    - this is where I think you are mixing up how you can only have one station
    (radio or TV) on at a time.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My understanding is that if you get NTL digital you will still have your
    NTL analog; you will be able to continue listening to BBC radio 4 as you
    currently are. The NTL cable carries both the analog and digital signal;
    all you are doing is adding a NTL box to decode the digital signal.

You will also be able to listen to BBC radio on the NTL set-top box by
    selecting it as a station on the set-top box and using the box's tuner
    - this is where I think you are mixing up how you can only have one station
    (radio or TV) on at a time.
    Yes, this is true.

In your (OP's) situation, I think you'd be best sticking with NTL, it'd be the least hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

coolaboola wrote: »
    Hmm. Thanks for those suggestions. Deffo worth considering but neither would get around the issue of having Radio 4 around the house (without considerable wiring ... which I suppose I already have to get cable to each radio).

get wireless ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

but neither would get around the issue of having Radio 4 around the house (without considerable wiring ... which I suppose I already have to get cable to each radio).

Eh? WIFI is wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Ok I'll still have my podcasts, but that's fine for a Radio 4 fix on the move but not the same as listening to live radio. And I can listen on 198 LW. But pretty much anything will interfer with the LW signal and don't get me started on cricket season when LW is devoted 100% to test match special (I'm not a cricket fan). And the interweb is a no-go for regular listening as the husband is a commited gamer and is often on-line gaming so I (and Radio 4) would be banished from the connection for fear of hogging his bandwidth. *sigh*

Just to let you know. I have an Eircom 2MB broadband connection, and I use an internet radio (reciva) usually at the same time as playing my xbox online. I've had no problems at all with either, and get Radio 4 loud and clear all over the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭col123

is it possible to get bbc 4 in dublin on a normal battery operated lw radio ?
    if so how big does it have to be ?
    ( a bit of interference doesnt mater, its for someone who wants to learn english as in the queens english :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yes it is, any size LW radio should do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They can learn the rules of Cricket too in the summer!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

I agree with mossy and monk. Just buy a wireless internet radio. i have 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the bedroom 9,000 stations on each including all the bbc radio stations (about 75 BBC's in total!). BBC 4 even can be listened to live or on demand recorded programmes. Just be careful that the radio you buy has reciva software on it for streaming the stations. Most radios do have reciva software on them like Bush, magicbox, roberts etc.

I also have a terratec internet radio (powered by noxom) in another room that is not powered by reciva software and does not get all the bbc stations or are uk only streams so be careful what you buy. Having said that I get a lot of other stations in 128k stereo that reciva does not list which are better than fm sound such as Capital London.

TRSJ

Advertisement