Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Annes Park

Options
  • 17-03-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Sorry mods, I know there was a thread on this before, but I did look at it and the info wasn't very clear.

I'm looking to find out the "off-lead" times for dogs in St Anne's park. I did search for the bylaws on the net, came up with nothing.

I know there is certain times in the morning, and then again in the evening, but if anyone can tell me the specific times i'd be grateful....or even a link to the bylaws would be even better.

I live a decent distance away from the park, but will travel in order to give my dogs a good (legal) off lead run.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

does anyone really care about/adhere to those "laws"?

i reckon you could take a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

judas101 wrote: »
    does anyone really care about/adhere to those "laws"?

i reckon you could take a chance

The wardens and some of the dog owners do:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055248495

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Mairt wrote: »
    Well speaking as some who's partner is Jewish, and who has lived in Israel and and returns as often as can I could care less for your sensitivities Davey.

What has that got to do with the original post ?
    I think people should obey the rules, whether they agree with them or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Ok ok ok......has anyone actually got the times??

Really didn't want to start another debate about wardens and off lead dogs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

OP First hour in the morning and last hour at night.

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »
    OP First hour in the morning and last hour at night.

Thanks Killme00, what are the times of those hours?

have no idea what time the park opens or closes at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Before 8 in the morning and after half ten at night. Thats what one of the gardeners told me.

Half ten at night!! Holy schmoly! Didn't think the park would be open that late, especially at this time of year. Guess that idea is out so.

Shelli wrote: »
    Half ten at night!! Holy schmoly! Didn't think the park would be open that late, especially at this time of year. Guess that idea is out so.

They never really mind you having dogs off leads in the park once they are under control and you're not in the big green by the playground. (Which is fair enough really.)
    I never have trouble giving mine a run on the Clontarf pitches or the pitches accross from texaco on the Howth Road.

Well thats not what some others seem to think> see older thread about wardens in St Anne's. Thats why I asked about the legal times, i'd be afriad about getting fined. Even though my dogs are very well trained they are large breeds and some people might be intimidated by them (Boxer and retriver)

• Advertisement

They should have a designated area especially for giving your dogs a run. Now thats a good idea, even if I say so myself!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Yup, that sould be the solution - in larger parks anyway. Risking being stuck with a fine and no predictability for other users of the park as to when they can go there and not have to meet unleashed dogs makes no sense to me.

Just brought my boxer/lab cross for her lunchtime walk up in Johnstown park in Glasnevin where there is a no off-lead policy in place ALL the time but we met 3 other dogs off their leashes. It's hard to watch mine dealing with being stuck on her lead when others are running about and we have had times where dogs would approach and be quite aggressive with the owners in no position to control them.

In general I'm in favour of the leash laws as I think we have to be respectful of other park users but judging by today I'm in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

Here you go!

Control of Dogs Bye Laws.doc

Great! Thanks!

Am I right in thinking that this applies to all DCC parks? (With the exception of Bull Island)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why would Bull Island be exempt?

Bull Island is a wildlife conservatory (sp?). I dont think they are any offlead times for bull island but any time i am there, there are plenty off dogs off the lead.

So effectively Bull Island is outside the remit of the City Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

So effectively Bull Island is outside the remit of the City Council?

No, it is within the remit of the Council but they do not allow off lead animals at any times, unlike the parks.

They have only begun to enforce this recently, they now have a new warden who zips up and down the beach on a quad bike and makes people put the dogs on leads.

Last time I was there he gave me a copy of the St. Annes 'off-lead' times and said I would get a fine if spotted agian.

Extraplus wrote: »
    So effectively Bull Island is outside the remit of the City Council? [/QOUTE]

No, it is within the remit of the Council but they do not allow off lead animals at any times, unlike the parks.

They have only begun to enforce this recently, they now have a new warden who zips up and down the beach on a quad bike and makes people put the dogs on leads.

Last time I was there he gave me a copy of the St. Annes 'off-lead' times and said I would get a fine if spotted agian.

99.99% SURE HE DOESNT HAVE THE POWER TO GIVE YOU A FINE.

Also Bull Island doesnt fall under the remit of DCC but cant be consider common land because its a wildlife sanctaury (kite surfing is a protected sport you know!!)

Just found out Bull Island is owned by DCC and Dublin Port. And in 1914 the britisharmy used it as a firing range!!!

Still sure they cant fine you though.

• Advertisement

If you read the bylaws, it's states you are liable to a fine, and it also excludes Bull Island from the off lead rules.

But does it apply to all other DCC parks then? If I carried a copy of the bylaws with me, say in Johnstown park for instance, can I produce it to the warden if I'm approached?? :D

Why not? The wardens must be fully familar with the laws they are trying to enforce.

They dont have the power to give on the spot fines. How can they stop you just walking away from them, they cannot physically restrain you.

They can't. They need to have the Gardaí with them to prevent you from simply turning around and walking away. The wardens have no power of arrest or detention.

Can they confiscate off lead dogs?

Shelli wrote: »
    Can they confiscate off lead dogs?

Thats a scary thought!

If they are running free without any sign of the owner, then yes. They will be treated like strays and will get 5 days in the pound, no different to a dog running loose on the streets.

If the owner is with the dog they cannot take the dog.

Advertisement