Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why Modify???

Options
  • 17-03-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

I can kinda see the point in moddin Golfs, Civics, Imprezas and the like but WHY THIS
    dsc00396fv7.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why is modifying a Golf or Civic more worthwhile than a Corolla?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Why is modifying a Golf or Civic more worthwhile than a Corolla?

Gotta agree.

It's all a waste of time/money IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Yeah, you're probably right now that I think of it. I was just taken aback a bit as you don't see a lot of heavily modded Corrolas about.
    In fact if anything its kinda unique because of its rarity. He's obviously put a lot of work into it, scissor doors are not cheap and a ba$tard to fit. :D

I've seen the light!!
    Corollas Rule!!

There were quite a few of those 3 door Corollas modified back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

TBH, some folks can't afford anything else to insure, and supposedly, Toyotas are easy to tune, hence why boyracers buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I cannae see the point in modding at all. Looks like crap doesn't matter the make car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

biko wrote: »
    I cannae see the point in modding at all. Looks like crap doesn't matter the make car.

Different strokes for different folks. It is no more offensive to you me or anyone else than driving a Tiida, and it is substantially more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The way i see it, these young fella's are not driving these cars by choice, but rather due to the costs. This fella with the corrola probably wants a supra or skyline etc, but with the cost of insurance (and petrol) he cant afford it, so they throw a pile of money making their car difference. I cant really blame them, the look of the car means nothing to anybody but the owner, the problem is, so many of them drive like di*ks, and thats what gives the modifying world a bad name, not the cars looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The words 'mutton dressed as goat' come to mind.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,418 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The words 'mutton dressed as goat'

Goat? I suppose mutton dressed as some sort of younger animal ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Whats the problem, the guy spends his hard earned on making his car more enjoyable. He built it for him, not for any of ye. I'm sure he's really jealous of all the people slating him on here when they are driving boring saloons. I like seeing cars like this, it makes motoring more interesting. Its not exactly my style but I respect time and effort put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

astraboy wrote: »
    Whats the problem, the guy spends his hard earned on making his car more enjoyable. He built it for him, not for any of ye. I'm sure he's really jealous of all the people slating him on here when they are driving boring saloons. I like seeing cars like this, it makes motoring more interesting. Its not exactly my style but I respect time and effort put into it.

For me, it's not the car, its the attitude of the driver. And most modified car drivers have a pretty bad attitude to driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

astraboy wrote: »
    I'm sure he's really jealous of all the people slating him on here when they are driving boring saloons.

But he is driving one of those boring saloons you refer to.

I can't get my head around how people drop several thousand euro putting hideous bumpers and wings et cetera, on crocks of sh1t when they could put that money towards upgrading to something much nicer.:confused:

But he is driving one of those boring saloons you refer to.

I can't get my head around how people drop several thousand euro putting hideous bumpers and wings et cetera, on crocks of sh1t when they could put that money towards upgrading to something much nicer.:confused:

I would'nt consider it boring. Anyway, why is how he spends his cash any concern of yours? I can't understand the attitude of buying a new BMW 316i when they can get a 320 a few years older with the same money. Each to their own.

As for modified car owners having a bad attitude, I know plenty of people that own modified cars. Some have a terrible attitude towards driving. Many do not. I can also make sweeping generalisations about many groups of drivers but I know they are not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

While i aint into modding cars, ( i always enjoyed playing games like Need for speed underground!),
    I know a few guys who are, they have a respectable attitude to driving, and are always pulled by gardai to have searches performed.

I was in the passanger seat of one of these cars when a guy in another mod started to show off like an idiot with the traffic corps up the road both cars were pulled over. Even though we didn't know the other guy.

Each to there own i guess. Some people just enjoy this.
    Id rather save and buy a real car no mod's needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

biko wrote: »

Why do ugly women wear makeup?
    Same idea at work here...

I can't see the point of soccer personally, but the masses seem happy with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

maidhc wrote: »
    It is no more offensive to you me or anyone else than driving a Tiida, and it is substantially more interesting.
    LOL! and +1

It all comes down to one thing: taste. Some mods are tasteful, some cars, like the Tiida, aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

At least its not going to be breaking down all the time since its Toyota. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

maoleary wrote: »
    For me, it's not the car, its the attitude of the driver. And most modified car drivers have a pretty bad attitude to driving.

Actually i drive a fair bit, and am a modified car driver. Nothing like that car, a modd'd passat.
    I tend to find those who have made changes to their car are very good when driving to let other people out etc. Granted other ones would blow past you doing 100mph, but thats the across the board.

As for the mutton dressed as goat comment, does that hold true for houses perhaps? If someone renovated a house, would you stop outside their house, knock on the door, and laugh in their face?
    I hope not!

And the ugly women and makeup comment is golden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

How do you modify a passat?

• Advertisement

groupb wrote: »

you just need to change something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

phill106 wrote: »
    Actually i drive a fair bit, and am a modified car driver. Nothing like that car, a modd'd passat.
    What mods have you done?

but sure every car gets old...each to their own... if they wanna sink the money let them most cars depreciate horribly anyway!! I think its a hobby for some!
    I drive a ten year old car I like it, some might consider is "a crock of ****" but its nicer to me than alot of newer cars out there!
    Everyone has their own opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Modified cars reek of poverty I can't stand them - you can't polish a turd

It's like people sticking M3 badges on 318Ci's etc....

Modified cars reek of poverty I can't stand them - you can't polish a turd

It's like people sticking M3 badges on 318Ci's etc....

Depends on the car. I've seen modified M3's and even modified Lambos, not "reeking of poverty". A 20 year old fiesta with bas stickers maybe, but I know of plenty of modded cars worth lots of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've changed a good few things on my car, but have largely kept it stock - or close to it. I did it because I found the car pretty plain as standard, and couldn't afford a newer model at the time. I know I'll never make that money back, but that's not why I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭emoKILLER

on the 01 - 05 models you can change a chip in the engine that will give you more horse power. dont know much about the current model.

i doubt a passat can, or would be modified much more that that

You can get bodykits, wheels, suspension and loads of other mods for Passats, much moreso than most other large family cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

All approved by your friendly insurance company?

• Advertisement

All approved by your friendly insurance company?

So long as you notify them.

Advertisement