Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why Modify???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

let them be I say, not into it myself, but im looking for a new car at the minute and just wished carzone had an "exclude modified cars" check button when searching..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Why modify?

Why not??

Freedom of expression maybe???

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Why modify?

Why not??

Freedom of expression maybe???

+1

I've a couple of observations:

1. Modifying is like everything else in life, there are good and bad examples.
    2. Not everyone does or should modify their car for performance gains. Some people do it for aesthetics (see 1. above)
    3. A modified car does not necessarily mean that there's a 'boy racer' behind the wheel.
    4. It's a hobby/passion for a lot of people. Many people spend rediculous amounts of money on hobbies. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, then why not? It's certainly not an investment in most cases and it's a naive person that thinks otherwise.
    5. I'd much rather see young lads spend their cash on their motor than other less desirable activities (drink, drugs etc.)
    6. Many young people can't afford the tax/insurance running costs of a 'proper' car, so they make do with what they can afford. Had they the choice, I don't think they'd choose modify a 1.0L Micra over a Skyline.
    7. It's a form of expression. Why do people spend hundreds/thousands of euro on clothing/hairstyles/footwear etc.? They want to "be unique, just like everyone else".
    8. As with all 'art', there's no accounting for taste.

There are some dreadful examples of (aesthetically) modified cars out there, but someone, somewhere thinks the motor looks fantastic. It makes them happy. Personally, I find many new/expensive cars on the road today ugly and offensive but these cars are obviously making someone happy.

It's all about what you like to spend your money on, and no matter what that is, there will always be someone who thinks it's a waste of money :)

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

dcGT wrote: »
    +1

I've a couple of observations:

1. Modifying is like everything else in life, there are good and bad examples.
    2. Not everyone does or should modify their car for performance gains. Some people do it for aesthetics (see 1. above)
    3. A modified car does not necessarily mean that there's a 'boy racer' behind the wheel.
    4. It's a hobby/passion for a lot of people. Many people spend rediculous amounts of money on hobbies. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, then why not? It's certainly not an investment in most cases and it's a naive person that thinks otherwise.
    5. I'd much rather see young lads spend their cash on their motor than other less desirable activities (drink, drugs etc.)
    6. Many young people can't afford the tax/insurance running costs of a 'proper' car, so they make do with what they can afford. Had they the choice, I don't think they'd choose modify a 1.0L Micra over a Skyline.
    7. It's a form of expression. Why do people spend hundreds/thousands of euro on clothing/hairstyles/footwear etc.? They want to "be unique, just like everyone else".
    8. As with all 'art', there's no accounting for taste.

There are some dreadful examples of (aesthetically) modified cars out there, but someone, somewhere thinks the motor looks fantastic. It makes them happy. Personally, I find many new/expensive cars on the road today ugly and offensive but these cars are obviously making someone happy.

It's all about what you like to spend your money on, and no matter what that is, there will always be someone who thinks it's a waste of money :)

DC.

Well said :)

Advertisement