Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What things do you own (that you won't get rid of)?

Options
  • 17-03-2008 11:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I own many many things, my room is akin to that of an auctioneers showroom.
    Amongst these are things that if there was a fire, I'd grab them first and have the firemen say 'What..... the hell.'

First of all, china Dopeyfish. I can't remember his origins, but I love him.
    IMG_0057.jpg

Then there is the very depressed Lobster. Not sure what's up with him, he can't talk, but he's permanently depressed. Probably cos he can't talk.

IMG_0056.jpg

Then there's the sleepy heffalump. Why are his eyes closed?! Who knows?!

IMG_0055.jpg

Last but not least, there is Evil Ted. Evil Ted is 31 years old, as far as we know. He has been eaten by dogs, giving him the evil look, he also lost an ear. And the lobster thinks it's depressed? Ha.

evilted.jpg

So, tell me I'm not alone. Please. Or else these things go in a box in the attic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ee. I used to have a teddy like that, years ago. Unfortunatly, My Mother has a cruel habit of throwing things away that I cherish. I keep everything. if she hadn't thrown stuff out of mine there would need to be 5 atticks to carry all the crap I put sentimental value onto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Awww shucks, that china dopey fish thingy is so cute!

My house is clutter paradies. I would cause the system to crash if i listed all my junk!

you sister, are certainly not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

2 blankets that my brother and i got when he was born, 26 years ago, one in on my bed and the other under my pillow. i commandered his when i was ten or so and never gave it back. used to drag mine around with me everywhere, they are of the check picnic type with the edging all around them or 'stickles' if you like, called so my my family as i used to tickle/stick them up my nose. :o:o:o.- nice. they are forever in my family known as the stickly blanket.

Even now if i'm tired/upset/sick, I will make a beeline for one of them and drag it around with me.

i would probably leave someone behind in a fire and rescue the blankets first. For shame, I am really to old for it.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My mother also had a habit of throwing out my stuff. She would do a "clean out" of my bedroom whenever I wasnt there. I used to hate sleepovers and the like as a child because I knew my mother would have thrown stuff out. I have a strange collection of confetti that I've collected from various concerts that I know my mother would chuck straight in the bin if I still lived at home. I have Chris the sheep teddy that comes with me everywhere (he even bleats!) and Bubbles the powerpuff girl that again has moved house with me a few times and I adore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i want a dopefish!!

• Advertisement

My mother also had a habit of doing this also to be honest she made the problem worse and bred an almost deep seated fear and paranoia of my stuff going missing that I still have.
    It was one of the major reasons I moved out her house as she had started making fun of me over it and too much of my stuff had been used on me/robbed/thrown out
    Nowadays Its like a compulsive thing I drive myself mad if I've lost something

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I have a pillow I refuse to part with, and a rabbit/pubby hybrid blind soft toy that my uncle bought me when I was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I still have my 'baby blanket', it's like a proper duvet only it's about the size of a cot, my mum has tried to throw it out so many times but I won't let her!!

Here's the embarrassing one...I still have all my Barbies in a box in my wardrobe with all their clothes and accessories, then in another box I have all the little bits that I got to go with them over the years - their cars and houses etc. In fairness now, they wouldn't be the first thing I'd be running to save in a fire but I still refuse to throw them away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 extraflavour

oh my god i want a dopeyfish now! anyone know where to get one? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I have my baby comfort blanket, although it's just a bit of a rag now - but not to me......and every pair of shoes I've ever bought. And every bit of cheap jewellry I've ever bought.....they might come back in fashion someday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Poppy the penguin. I got her for my 5th birthday and now she only has one wing but I'll never get rid of her.

I'm also a terrible horder when it comes to books. I never give a book away and I don't like to borrow books, I like to buy them and own them. I think your book collection says far more about you then your DVD collection, or the clothes you wear. At the moment I'm at home in my parents house surounded by boxes that say books on them that I packed up when I moved out of my apartment. I couldn't leave them in storage in case they got damp, I had to bring them up to my bedroom in the house. If anything happened to them I'd be devestated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well i def don't want to get rid of any of my hoodies. they are so comfy when your having an off day and you don't care what you look like.

Advertisement